Why become a member? ×

Entwistle - Won't Get Fooled Again - Isolated Bass

discreet

By request, and following on from the the Chris Squire [i]Roundabout [/i]isolation I post this Entwistle [i]Won't Get Fooled Again[/i] Isolation... interesting! Maybe we should have a proper 'isolation' thread or something...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6tp2c6nMM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6tp2c6nMM[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1335644312' post='1634250']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/34275-isolated-bass-tracks/"]Knock yersel' oot....[/url]
[/quote]

Ha! Rule One... Try searching the bloody forum, first! :blush: :lol:
Thanks for that... maybe a mod could bung this in there?? Ta!

Edit: A lot of the vids in the isolation thread don't seem to be available?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1335700002' post='1634666']
Looking at his fretting hand, he seems to throw all the "rules" of technique technique out of the window. :D
[/quote]

Yes, but I happen to think 'technique technique' is vastly overrated. ;)

I think his technique is amazing. He mastered 4 fingers on his right hand, nothing wrong with his left, even uprighters swap things around to suit positioning, laziness, feel etc. Much as I admire Pino, he's about as exciting as a cold fried egg in The Who. One of the few times I don't watch the bass player.

Years ago, when my lads were a bit younger, their band at the time were having one of those wonderfully healthy music discussions and one was showing a 9 minute solo by Slash. Fortunately my lads were not too impressed (chip of the ol' block, clearly) and people were getting bored after 2-3 minutes so I did what I shouldn't and got involved. I played this clip from the 'Kids Are Alright' dvd, 8 minutes of isolated Ox. Their friends were transfixed through the whole 8 minutes.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335735584' post='1635323']
Usually vastly overrated by people who don't have it.
[/quote]

This is true ...and don't get me started on that isoaltion track..it is pretty damn awful in every sense.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1335773645' post='1635610']
I think it's sloppy, totally mad technique, a pretty nasty tone as well...

And I love it. It's totally unique and also incredibly melodic. I'd never dream of playing my own bass this way, but it completely works in the context of the track.
[/quote]

And that is the point..Entwistle and Moon were an awful section in islolation but an unexplainable happy accident combined.
No teacher in their right mind would point to either as anything other than how not to do it..but in the Who, they worked.

But I bet solo playbacks in the studio were no fun at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1335773609' post='1635609']
I guess you're a fan so my intention isn't to rile but their sounds are similar, the way they attack their strings is similar and their note choices are similar.
[/quote]
Heh, suppose I am, not riled at all, Geddy is rather special but, to me anyway, quite different. Sorry to be brusque.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1335773955' post='1635618']
And that is the point..Entwistle and Moon were an awful section in islolation but an unexplainable happy accident combined.
No teacher in their right mind would point to either as anything other than how not to do it..but in the Who, they worked.

But I bet solo playbacks in the studio were no fun at all :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Can't understand this. Moon especially was very particular about his technique, all skins and cymbals flat (like the old jazzers and many drummers now rather than the 'wall of death' set up), shoulders not moving and very smooth rolls etc. Of course there's all the larking around and showmanship but that's what he does and one of the things that made him so great. He was not a fool on the drums and would have been angered at being called sloppy.