Why become a member? ×

Entwistle - Won't Get Fooled Again - Isolated Bass

discreet

well, sloppy he most definitely was, IMO... as was Entwistle..but together it worked great,..altho how they worked out where '1' might be, I'll never know.

But hey, I've trashed this thread enough as it is...so I'll bow but no one will ever convince me that both were not terrible players..or would have been in other units, IMO.

Difficult to imagine how [i]loud [/i]it must have been. Townshend suffered severe hearing loss as a result of gigging, and at one point the Who were listed in the Guinness Book of Records for 'the loudest concert ever' at Charlton Athletic Football Club in 1976 where the volume level was measured at 126db - 32 metres from the stage...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335778686' post='1635715']
Difficult to imagine how [i]loud [/i]it must have been. [b]Townshend suffered severe hearing loss as a result of gigging[/b], and at one point the Who were listed in the Guinness Book of Records for 'the loudest concert ever' at Charlton Athletic Football Club in 1976 where the volume level was measured at 126db - 32 metres from the stage...

[/quote]

A small point but wasnt Townsends hearing loss primeraly as a result of the infamous Ed Carson Drum kit explosion?

And no Neither Moon nor Entwistle were sloppy. They did what they did. In what way on gods green earth can The Who be called sloppy!! Listen to 'Anyway Anyhow' as a prime example.

A

Was never a Who Fanboi, but for me Entwistle & Moon kind of blossomed on 'Who's Next'
Both sound wise and in Musical maturity. In fact the whole album did.

The isolated Bass track might not be his best moment, but hard to tell what's going on with the rest of the band not in ear shot.
Might all be moving about together and not sounding 'Sloppy'.[or sloppy together]

Townsend sure was an interesting writer with plenty of 'Out of the box' ideas.

Garry

I might have picked this up wrong ?
I'm not a huge fan of The Who either but after reading this thread i think it a little unfair to compare a live soundtrack with other studio mixes.
I don't have the vid at work here at moment but i think i clicked on this over the weekend and saw a brief glimpse of the OX playing live. Of course it might have been something else completely and nothing to do with this thread but oh well never mind as the saying goes.
If you isolate the actual studio mix does it sound same or is it more defined and accurate.

I'm a huge fan of Mr Lee but i have heard some rather inaccurate playing on some of his isolated bass tracks and Geddy will always tell you that the live mistakes on the early albums were deliberately left to show warts and all. That is a sign they want fans to know they are human too.

The Who had a raw sound that captured the era at that time. John and Keith had that kind of raw element when playing live.
Horses for courses IMO.

Dave

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1335795308' post='1636112']
And no Neither Moon nor Entwistle were sloppy.

[/quote]

I think they are in a conventional sense. But don't get me wrong, being a tight player isn't what makes great music as I've mentioned a lot of times before on this forum. Actually a lot of the times I find the opposite. And I think the clip is great, he was clearly a very melodic and musically in touch with what was going on.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335778686' post='1635715']
Difficult to imagine how [i]loud [/i]it must have been. Townshend suffered severe hearing loss as a result of gigging, and at one point the Who were listed in the Guinness Book of Records for 'the loudest concert ever' at Charlton Athletic Football Club in 1976 where the volume level was measured at 126db - 32 metres from the stage...

[/quote]

I really want to go to an elevated train discotheque