Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror tone

bennymalta

Hi there,

I'm really interested in buying the new orange bass terror head (the 500 watt lunchbox head). I've heard its loud, got a great warm tubey tone and its light weight. My only concern is the cleanliness of this amp. I've read in many posts that its the holy grail of dirtiness. Now lets get something straight, I do love a dirty bass tone with a little growl to it, but everyone need a little versatility. I'm looking for a clean usable sound, with that 'subharmonic' low end bass tone that doesn't distort that much and still retains its Loudness. So I'm afraid this amp lacks in low end and a clean tone.

Maybe I should be looking at the ashdown ABM 500 or an ampeg svt??

or maybe not??

THANKS!!

[quote name='bennymalta' timestamp='1334839632' post='1622135']
So I'm afraid this amp lacks in low end and a clean tone.

[/quote]
[quote name='bennymalta' timestamp='1334840163' post='1622154']

But lets be honest here, does this amp, in its original form, has low end capabilities?
[/quote]

If there's one thing the OBT does NOT lack, it is low end! :lol:

To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled at linking [color=#800000]"clean tone" or "dirty tone"[/color] with [color=#0000ff]"low end" or "no low end". [/color]I had never previously thought that having one would somehow prevent you from having the other.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1334840623' post='1622168']
If there's one thing the OBT does NOT lack, it is low end! :lol:

To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled at linking [color=#800000]"clean tone" or "dirty tone"[/color] with [color=#0000ff]"low end" or "no low end". [/color]I had never previously thought that having one would somehow prevent you from having the other.
[/quote]

No you're right, they're two different things. Thankfully, thats settled and it looks like this amp sgot plenty of low end.

About the clean or dirty tone. I've read that this amp is really really dirty and I'm afraid I wown't be able to get a clean sound out of it. I mean, sometimes you get those situations were you lower the gain (and work around) to get a nice clean warm tone but the amp just then looses all its power and low end. And frankly, I don't wanna be in that situation!

Now I dont know whats the issue with this amp...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1334841302' post='1622182']
If you're nearby you can try mine,.
[/quote]

Ah cheers mate, but unfortunately I'm not. I live on an island and its hard finding the new amp models in the few music shops we've got. All the things I buy, I just buy online. So thats why I'm posting

[quote name='bennymalta' timestamp='1334841821' post='1622195']
No you're right, they're two different things. Thankfully, thats settled and it looks like this amp sgot plenty of low end.

About the clean or dirty tone. I've read that this amp is really really dirty and I'm afraid I wown't be able to get a clean sound out of it. I mean, sometimes you get those situations were you lower the gain (and work around) to get a nice clean warm tone but the amp just then looses all its power and low end. And frankly, I don't wanna be in that situation!

Now I dont know whats the issue with this amp...
[/quote]

Main issue is it comes loaded with the wrong valves, needs sorting out as per link above. This also means the DI out is too hot.

When I had one, I used it with a sound close to that classic valve break-up sound, I don`t like full on gain, just a bit off of completely clean is enough for me. This was with the Gain on 2, and the Volume on 2 (through a Marshall Bass 412). The amount of volume available was incredible. Stick the valves in that clean it up a bit, and this amp will do what you want no trouble. It doesn`t have the most versatile of eqs, but to be honest, it`s such a good sound it doesn`t really need it. I only swapped it as I wanted a bit more versatility.,

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334844874' post='1622253']
When I had one, I used it with a sound close to that classic valve break-up sound, I don`t like full on gain, just a bit off of completely clean is enough for me. This was with the Gain on 2, and the Volume on 2 (through a Marshall Bass 412). The amount of volume available was incredible. Stick the valves in that clean it up a bit, and this amp will do what you want no trouble. It doesn`t have the most versatile of eqs, but to be honest, it`s such a good sound it doesn`t really need it. I only swapped it as I wanted a bit more versatility.,
[/quote]

Thanks a lot! that helped me big time!

if anything ill buy the Orange and if i dont like it i'll just sell it. I'm sure it'll sell like apples being new and having such great reviews.

Thanks guys!

They can do clean no problem - They're just very very good at doing dirty too! I use mine for a nice tubey clean sound so the gain is set to about 9pm on the dial (sometimes less). Still LOADS of headroom! I use the factory valves and have no problems with them at all.

I don't really agree with them not being flexible - they are what they are. You want more control buy a graphic eq pedal or something.

Hi

I'm actually selling one of these in the "for sale" section. I've gigged with mine plenty and I have got a brilliant clean tone out of it, nice and fat with a lot of bottom, i rarely put the gain above 1 and still got plenty of power out of it! If you have an active bass that will give you a lot of extra control. However, it is a rock amp, it does what it does extremely well, but don't buy one if you want a lot of versatility.

I used one at rehearsal the other day, it was almost ridiculously loud and didn't lose any bottom end as the gain was cranked.

However, I didn't like it. As has been mentioned before, it only really has one basic tone, and I just didn't get on with it at all. If I was in a Sleep tribute band it would be perfect though ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1335185355' post='1626820']
I used one at rehearsal the other day, it was almost ridiculously loud and didn't lose any bottom end as the gain was cranked.

However, I didn't like it. As has been mentioned before, it only really has one basic tone, and I just didn't get on with it at all. If I was in a Sleep tribute band it would be perfect though ;)
[/quote]

I'd be pretty disappointing at a Sleep tribute with mini amps. Unless they were all midgets, that would be awesome. Now I am going to be disappointed at a Sleep tribute that isn't midgets.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335185516' post='1626824']
I'd be pretty disappointing at a Sleep tribute with mini amps. Unless they were all midgets, that would be awesome. Now I am going to be disappointed at a Sleep tribute that isn't midgets.
[/quote]

Barefaced Midgets, you say? ;)

[quote name='bennymalta' timestamp='1334840163' post='1622154']
Ahh.

But lets be honest here, does this amp, in its original form, has low end capabilities?
[/quote]

I use mine for reggae, no problem with low end ;) ...i ditched the SVT too