Why become a member? ×

Tiny tiny tiny tiny amp suggestions....

Jesso

Howdy.
Looking for something I can put into my gigbag that is both an amp and speaker in one.
I only need to be as loud as an acoustic guitar.
Or another way of putting it.... I need to make my electric be as loud as my bass!
Must run on batteries, and be very small. The type of thing a busker might use I suppose.
It's for rehearsing over first dances with the rest of the band in the van before a gig or other similar situations!

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1334680655' post='1619678']
Does the wee vox thing not got a speaker too?
[/quote]
I have one of those in my gigbag already. It's very good, but the others cant hear it cos it doesn't have a speaker.

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1334680831' post='1619681']
I have one of those in my gigbag already. It's very good, but the others cant hear it cos it doesn't have a speaker.
[/quote]

Battery powered pc speakers work with the amplug but might not be loud enough for what you want or vox do a speaker for the amplug.

I am using now the not-so-small Yamaha THR. If you have a fairly good bass guitar and want to preserve your tone, you can switch it to Flat.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr_home/

In my experience, if you want to be minimally heard, then you need some speaker size.

Check this out ... the Roland Bass Micro cube. Battery powered 4X4" combo ...
[url="http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=940"]http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=940[/url]

Edited by Fionn

I bought a brand new Roland Micro Cube Bass RX a few days ago for quiet practice. Didn't think to try one out in a shop on my newly acquired Prosebass 4 string headless, and just ordered it sight unseen from the Normans website. First off, the manual states that only alkaline type AA cells can be used, not rechargeables, so could work out quite expensive to run. But the big problem for me was when I tried using the amp with the supplied 9v 'wall-wart' mains adapter; I immediately got a massive hum that increased alarmingly when a note was played. This wasn't present when using the AA battery option, so I tried moving the amp to different parts of the house, and even into a detached garage to avoid any possible interference, but with no improvement.

In desperation I asked Paul Rose for advice and learned from him that my bass had been wired with no bridge earthing, so as to avoid electrocution should a powerful amp ever malfunction, and this arrangement was causing an earth imbalance when the wall wart was used. Straight mains powered amps and straight battery powered would be ok though.

I returned the amp and got a full refund and will use the 'Earwig' headphone amp I've just bought instead. However for acoustic jamming, busking etc this little amp would be ideal if you're happy feeding it a diet of Duracells, and don't have a bass with a non-earthed bridge for use when mains powered.

Jerry

FWIW Crate do some small battery-powered wedges (The 'Taxi' series, I think 15w, 30w or 50w) but they're not exactly gig bag sized and weight about 10kg, certainly portable though, and the internal battery is rechargeable IIRC. There's also the Roland Cube Street (5kg) which again is a bit big for a gig bag and about twice the price of the Crates.

I've been meaning to get one of those Crate boxes for a while.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1334750575' post='1620598']
I have a Vox amplug and its fine with headphones, but when I tried it with the matching cab, it would fart out even at accoustic guitar volumes, and yes it was the bass version!
[/quote]

I all fairness ACG's do kick out a fair amount of bass ;)

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1334750575' post='1620598']
I have a Vox amplug and its fine with headphones, but when I tried it with the matching cab, it would fart out even at accoustic guitar volumes, and yes it was the bass version!
[/quote]
.... that's not what I wanted to hear! The matching cab would fit nicely into the gigbag y'see..... brand new gig bag too with a big pocket. It doesn't have to be able to compete with someone bashing an acoustic and shouting out words, just low strumming in a van or a bathroom or what have you to get the jist of a song. I already have the amplug headphone unit, which is pretty useful so just adding the wee cab thingy would be ideal. I might just give it a shot, it's not huge money, and hopefully it's up to the job. I won't be asking too much of it!

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1334779893' post='1621279']
I might just give it a shot, it's not huge money, and hopefully it's up to the job. I won't be asking too much of it!
[/quote]

I'd be interested in your findings, it could be that I had a duff one

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334750659' post='1620601']
I all fairness ACG's do kick out a fair amount of bass ;)
[/quote]

Good point but it was the same with my mim passive jazz. All sound fine through headphones though. :scratch_one-s_head: