Why become a member? ×

Reccomend a bass! £350

jackhammer

Why spend £350 on a new bass when you could spend £350 on a second hand one that cost twice that much new?

With £350 you could look at Yamaha TRB's, G&L Tributes or even a proper german Warwick if you're lucky! These are all 'worth' £600+ new.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1334359519' post='1615315']
Why spend £350 on a new bass when you could spend £350 on a second hand one that cost twice that much ?
[/quote]

+1 Just have a look at the For Sale section - you could get something really good (and probably as good as new) for £350 - I got an immaculate G&L Tribute L2000 for around that money last week.

If you really have to have something brand new I'd echo the recommendation for the Squier CV line. But IMO you'd be a lot better off getting something previously loved by a fellow BassChatter. I believe there are some nice Ric copies around ;-)

If you insist on buing new, I would go for a Squier VM or CV and spend the change on upgrading the pickups and/or a decent setup (I mean a proper one, not the basic one the music shop does to get it playable). These Squiers are so good that they are going for about the same money secondhand - that should tell you something!

I would second what everyone has said about going secondhand. No VAT, its probably had any niggles sorted and a reasonable setup done. You can get a lot of bass for £350 on the secondhand market. If you spend £350 on a new one then £70 of that has gone down the drain the moment you leave the shop.

Well here's a £300 MIJ Fender P bass, already:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173553-sunburst-mij-fender-p-and-brand-new-so-not-30-years-old-fireglow-rockinbetter/page__pid__1615702#entry1615702"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173553-sunburst-mij-fender-p-and-brand-new-so-not-30-years-old-fireglow-rockinbetter/page__pid__1615702#entry1615702[/url]

Ok so This morning a mate called and said he needed a new amp, so i agreed to go with him!

Off we went to andertons and obviously I left him to it and went to check out the few basses I could afford...
was pretty sold on a squier vintage modified, sounded nice, action was way too high but nothing that couldn't be sorted. I also compared it to an American made jazz bass, and I wasn't overly impressed, they felt pretty darn similar in my eyes! And fingers of course.

As I was standing around waiting for him to buy some 6 string rubbish... :P And I thought " I know, let's try out a musicman sterling " oh my god!! bad move, now I'm in love with a bass I can't afford and will do anything to get it, so let's change the thread, suggestions on how to raise £650 :D

If its off the Peg, a squire vintage modified Jazz bass with its duncans will always impress.
They are shipped with the rod half a turn loose, so get the shop to set the bass back up.
It often amazes me how many shops just unbox basses and stick them on the wall with action you could unicycle under.

Shopping around will also open up your choice as some have great grain in the wood.

All in for a new bass they take some beating.

You should try a Westfield mate. Only £120 hahaha!!!!! But really, i have one with a great maple neck, there's nothing wrong with saving money right :D.
Some of the Yamaha BB series I've played are nice and around £350ish if you're still open to suggestions.

Good luck with the search

Edited by Townes1992