Why become a member? ×

Using amp to practice in flat...odd question

Okay, band broke up ages ago. Recently, I've been playing stuff through my studio monitors .
However,I still have my Aguilar amp /cab sitting in corner of room.
I have thought about selling , but would miss them if they went.

I live in an upstairs maisonette , but am worried that placing cab on floor would be too noisy
for people below.floor is concrete. One of the things I was thinking of, is placing cab on a large stand or something, fairly high off the floor.

Or should I just sell it, and stick to studio monitors?

What do you think?

A small practice amp with something in between that and the floor should be ok. I must admit, I live in a first floor maisonette and my amp sits on the floor. First thing I did when my neighbours in the property below moved in was tell them, if the music is ever too loud, let me know, it won`t offend me. And to date, some 6 years on, they never have. Must admit, never go above tv volumes, and never play before 9am, or after 9pm.

In theory, with a solidly made cab like that, shouldn't make loads of odds because it won't be contact with the floor making the floor vibrate. But raising it and pointing it at you means you can practice quieter as more complete output is reaching your ears. Also bear in mind those cabs can kick out some lows and you might be in a null in a small room so not be able to hear them as well as people elsewhere.

If you ever want to move the aggy on they'll be interest here :P . But in trying to help, maybe another cab would be a good idea, or a gramma pad. THey're supposed to be decent. I put a cab on an old hard case for a while, that seemed to work quite well. Cheap too if you have one lying about

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334351589' post='1615183']
If there was ever a reason to get a second cab this is it!

Put the two cabs ontop of each other and only use the top one! :)
[/quote]

This is actually what I have done in the past. Also I have found that additional cabs can be very effective as study desks and coffee tables when not gigging.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1334524561' post='1617291']
This is actually what I have done in the past. Also I have found that additional cabs can be very effective as study desks and coffee tables when not gigging.
[/quote]

Too true, my 410 makes a great laptop stand at eye height when wanting to snuggle in bed and watch DVDs!

Speaking of headphones, anyone know if it's ok to run an amp without connecting it to a cab?

I like using my headphones, but it doesn't mute the speaker output so noise comes out of the cab too! Very annoying. I've been too scared to run the amp without a cab; is that silly?

Cheers

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1334531275' post='1617400']
Speaking of headphones, anyone know if it's ok to run an amp without connecting it to a cab?

[/quote]

It depends on the amp. Generally speaking, anything with power valves and transformers can't be run without a load of some kind, either a cab or a dummy load such as a power brake.

Most amps with solid-state power stages don't mind, but it's worth reading the small print in the manual and maybe checking with the manufacturer.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1334565543' post='1617531']
Most amps with solid-state power stages don't mind, but it's worth reading the small print in the manual and maybe checking with the manufacturer.
[/quote]

Worth checking. After consultation with Markbass, it turns out a LM can be run as a pre-amp or DI without a cab [i]if [/i]the master volume is set at zero.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1334360371' post='1615326']
Headphones....
[/quote]

+1

Even if I place 2" of foam under my amp and play so quietly that my strings are acoustically louder I still get complaints. I practice with headphones these days. There are a few amps out there where you can plug in headphones and a stereo line in to plug your MP3 or other audio device into. I really like the EBS Classic 60 and 120 combo's.

Thanks for your output guys,) To be honest , it looks like putting it on a chair seems the way to go . If I was back in a band, and times weren't
so hard , I'd get an extra cab .
Headphones? I have some , but I can get by without them . I use studio monitors already.

It's just that I wasn't sure whether to sell or not.
I think that , if a guitarist can have an all singing
pretty Marshall , then I can compliment my bass with nice amp also. Cheers

Tell your neighbour to let you know if it's ever too loud & just be aware of what time it is when playing (maybe roll teh lower frequencies off). Gramma pad or Auralex foam is a good move too.

I have a downstairs neighbour & I use my gear all the time. 2x10 sits on some Auralex foam that's on top of a chest of drawers.
The only time he's complained about the noise is when I was playing the acousic in the bedroom (not plugged in & fingerpicking stylee too! ).

[quote name='bass24' timestamp='1334396645' post='1615553']
Purpose built flats/apartments will have concrete floors on all levels to comply with fire regs etc.
[/quote]

Not all :(

Mine's an old stone built Victorian apartment with wooden beams & a couple of layers of wooden planks.