Why become a member? ×

New Strings Day- ruined!!

scalpy

I love new strings, but I don't have much call for them playing in a soul band and doing pit work. I'd change them more often but it's not my forte and it's expensive too. But I've got a nice little busy spell for me, culminating in a good session on Saturday, so whacked on some rotosounds for a rehearsal last night thinking it would be in the venue for the show where my rig is set-up. Then I found out that the rehearsal was in a different place entirely but there was an amp so not to worry. So there I am waiting in anticipation to hear those solid tones and bright clear tops that a new set of wires affords, when I'm asked to plug into a 120W Laney Hardcore. Now, one of the pleasures of being a G&L player is that you can use anything and get a decent sound, I've used everything from giant Trace Rigs to tiny 4 channel mixers and still get a sound but for the first time ever I was defeated. And on New Strings Day, the first one in months! Ribs should have been rattling, chords singing, ghost notes thumping and all I can get is complete farty garbage. Anybody out there thinking of getting one of these waste of wood and wire amps should think again. Moan over, sorry about that.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1334155350' post='1611731']
Isn't the Laney Hardcore a guitar amp?
[/quote]

No there are Hardcore Max bass amps - the reference ends in a B for bass like my HCM30B - my first amp :)

I would guess that the amp the OP is referring to is like this one: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/82614-laney-hcm120b-amp-l125-on-hold/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/82614-laney-hcm120b-amp-l125-on-hold/[/url]

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334170792' post='1612064']
No there are Hardcore Max bass amps - the reference ends in a B for bass like my HCM30B - my first amp :)

I would guess that the amp the OP is referring to is like this one: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/82614-laney-hcm120b-amp-l125-on-hold/"]http://basschat.co.u...p-l125-on-hold/[/url]
[/quote]

Guilty as charged!

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1334309357' post='1614103']
I feel new string day should really be a Bank Holiday, so you have time to really get into the newness.
[/quote]

+1 totally and wholeheartedly agree with this comment :D

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Elixir Nanowebs - Sounds like new strings day every day! Yes, they're more expensive but when they last up to around 3x as long, they do work out cheaper, as you have much less frequent changes - AND because you do it less, new strings day feel EVEN more special :D

Yeah it's a justified moan! You do get some heaps of cr@p passed off as bass amps in rehearsal rooms unfortunately. I have many times had guitarists look at me like I was mad for lugging my bass rig into places where there 'was already an amp', but those cheapo Laney or Peavey combos they invariably seem to put in those rooms are evil things.

To be honest I never heard something different or special doing a rehearsal or gig when I strung by bass up with new strings. I´m just capable to hear "new string sound" under my headphones or while recording. And I´m somebody who usually hear the fleas coughing.

Ok, my usual band surroundings always constists of more than four musicians, which generate a lot of "noise" and dynamics where a new string sound must get drowned. Rarely played in trios where loudness is gentle and the zing of new strings will be recognized. Plus my basssound won´t rule the band on top. I´m always underneath it.

On the other hand - 120 Watts tell me they haven´t much headroom to give a well formed undistorted sound. In addition to the room acoustics and even the own life-condition everything can change into that "sh*tty" situation.

Don´t give a damn about it, it´s just a real gift which makes you rich for your experience.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1334309357' post='1614103']I feel new string day should really be a Bank Holiday, so you have time to really get into the newness.[/quote]
As someone who changes strings every two weeks or so I'd really appreciate all the extra holiday!

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1342362660' post='1733720']
At the risk of being controversial i don't like new string day :o Too bright and clanky. I love the sound of strings after about 10 hours of playing. Then they sound cool.
[/quote]

I concur, hence why I believe New Strings Day should be a bank holiday, so that we can spend 10 hours breaking them in! :D

(not that it would make any difference to me as somebody who works on bank holidays anyway... Ahh the joys of tourism!)