Why become a member? ×

Set List

Happy Jack

Discover last Thursday that there'll be an Alternative House Band at my favourite open-mic session on Tuesday (i.e. tomorrow), with me on bass. Great!

Ping an email to the guitarist who's organising it - what's the set list going to be? (This is a firmly blues-based session, though rock & funk are fine in small doses.)

No response.

Just before I go to bed last night, ping him a chaser - what's happening?

Response comes in overnight. Are you ready?

Sitting On Top Of The World. Cream. The live version off "Farewell Cream"
Dixie Chicken. Little Feat.
Watch Your Step. Bobby ?????
Night Train. James Brown.
Caladonia. Louis Jordan.
Move To The Outskirts of Town. Allman Brothers version off "Live at Ludlows Garage"
Must Have Done Somebody Wrong. Allman Brothers. "Live at the Fillmore East"
Turn On Your Lovelight. The Grateful Dead. "live Dead"
Southern Man. Neil Young
Hallaluja I Just Love Her So. Humble Pie. "Rockin' The Fillmore East"
Lonely Avenue. Ray Charles
Rollin' Man. Fleetwood Mac.

END QUOTE

I pinged back that I could handle four, maybe five, of those but: [i]as to the others, you win this year's Brian Eno award for sheer obscurity. There's not one of those tracks that I could even HUM without downloading it first, let alone play on stage tomorrow evening, and with zero rehearsal!
[/i]

I'm no spring chicken, and I've been listening to music more or less seriously for about 40 years, but I'm staggered that he was able to come up with so many tracks that mean absolutely nothing to me. And even more staggered that he's suggesting playing them live tomorrow!

Am I being precious?

What the hell made him pick obscure arrangements of well known tunes? Isn't the point of a jam session that you come up with whatever arrangement happens to develop onstage?

Sitting On Top Of The World by Cream (who are my favourite band) is bollocks compared to the Ray Charles version.

EDIT: Just send him a set-list with the obvious...

1. Stormy Monday
2. Rollin' and Tumblin'
3. Hoochie Coochie Man
4. Mannish Boy
5. Sweet Home Chicago
6. St James Infirmary
7. Born Under A Bad Sign
8. All Your Love (I Miss Lovin')
9. Dust My Broom
10. Ain't Nobody's Business

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='alexclaber' post='176465' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:34 PM']And he wants you to sing the lead vocal on SOTOTW too? :)

Alex[/quote]

No, he likes to handle the vocals too!

I could do [i]Dixie Chicken[/i] and I already do [i]Rollin' Man[/i] for the blues band I'm in.

What's more, I'd get the words right ...

Incidentally, and in case you're interested, the others on his list that I can play are [i]Southern Man, Night Train[/i] and [i]Watch Your Step[/i], though I play the last one in A (Peter Green) rather than the E that he prefers.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was worried that it was me who had the problem.

[quote name='Buzz' post='176803' date='Apr 15 2008, 01:27 AM']I recognize ZERO in the playlist.

Woo for a tiny knowledge of music![/quote]
Oh good, it's not just me then.

Half the time on open mic nights I'm watching the guitarist's fingers. It's my version of sight-reading.

[quote name='tauzero' post='176903' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:03 AM']Half the time on open mic nights I'm watching the guitarist's fingers. It's my version of sight-reading.[/quote]

Haha, it's always the fall-back when you can't hear anything and don't have a chart.

The fee is £10 each.

We've done this once before, about a month ago. After the set, he approached the landlord and asked for the dosh. The landlord said "No problem - you got my invoice?".

Erm ... what invoice? Turns out the regular House Band know that he HAS to have an invoice to keep the taxman happy, which is perfectly reasonable.

Ah well, double bubble tonight then.

Incidentally, having spent some time trawling the net I've managed to download some of the unknown tracks. I have to say I rather like the Louis Jordan one, which turns out to be called [i]Caldonia Boogie[/i]. Jordan was apparently a VERY influential jazz/bebop musician in the Cab Calloway mould during the 40's/50's and I may have to get some more of his stuff. He's FUN!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='177197' date='Apr 15 2008, 05:47 PM']The fee is £10 each.

We've done this once before, about a month ago. After the set, he approached the landlord and asked for the dosh. The landlord said "No problem - you got my invoice?".

Erm ... what invoice? Turns out the regular House Band know that he HAS to have an invoice to keep the taxman happy, which is perfectly reasonable.

Ah well, double bubble tonight then.

Incidentally, having spent some time trawling the net I've managed to download some of the unknown tracks. I have to say I rather like the Louis Jordan one, which turns out to be called [i]Caldonia Boogie[/i]. Jordan was apparently a VERY influential jazz/bebop musician in the Cab Calloway mould during the 40's/50's and I may have to get some more of his stuff. He's FUN![/quote]

Sounds like youll have a great time.

My previous comment was slightly flippant as Ive had it happen to me so many times but it all turns out in the end. I always learn something from being landed in the deep end.

Enjoy the night and let us know how it goes.