Why become a member? ×

P Bass opinions please

sellisnba

I bought a 1992 MIM P bass in the marketplace on here for nearly tuppance, got it re-strung and set up properly and I now prefer it to my brand new, paid full price American Standard Jazz. The only problem I have with it every now and again is that it uses me as an earthing mechanism :{ Must get that looked at.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1332767409' post='1592742']
I'd say that was a little pricy for an affinity - they are good basses, but secondhand I'd be looking for no more than £100 or so - I paid £80 for mine. They are only £160 new.

Apparantly the affinities can be variable in quality, but mine has been fine, so definitely one to check out in person, or from someone on here with decent feedback.
[/quote]

Yeah. I bought mine on here for £65 used! New strings, a new custom-made scratchplate and a pickup upgrade and it was a very decent bass indeed! Indeed, I only sold it as I had too many basses (and I prefer Jazzes). Even with the upgrades it was only £125.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332757605' post='1592496']
I don't know where you've been looking at Mexican P's that are so bad? I've had 2 both bought blind second hand, a 2003 & a 2008 that were both superb, not just for me but the guys I sold them on to were also well impressed. As long as the build quality is good - there's a whole lot of improvement in playability that comes from a proper set up. That applies equally to a £2000 bass though, not a criticism of Fender Mexican Japanese or USA.
[/quote]

Yip. I've bought 2 blind and both are / were superb. One kept for the last 7 years or so, another I liked, modded to mod and back, put back stock and sold onto to a happy buyer. Great bass, wish I'd kept it, but went off the colour.

Got to set them up though and I agree that goes for any instrument. I'm not as hung up on try before you buy with Fenders (or any guitars) as some are. You find out about the build quality by looking at it, touching it and setting it up, not playing it in a shop with the wrong strings and an action like a longbow. After a week or so, I'll know if I think it's a good bass or not. So long as there's no glaring finish / fret issues I'll give it a whirl.

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm nervous of buying blind on the net because I have had a bad experience before, I have found 1 or 2 p basses that I have like playing however as this is a big investment (for me anyway) I want to make sure I get what I want, the bass I have liked have been the wrong colour (yes I am a tart) or the wrong fingerboard ( I want a maple board).
One thing that I was told when buying an bass,guitar was to make sure the neck pocket was a good snug fit. Maybe I have been at bit unlucky but every bass I have liked (colour scheme wise) has had a dreadful fit between the neck and body, for the record I have been to all the places that have been recommend in Exeter,Manchester and a few in Cornwall.
I have searched the net a lot and had mixed reviews on the vintage brand, I have found a few other brands that tick the right boxes namely the ESP LTD 204 again the problem being that nobody local seems to stock them. Does anyone have any experience or opinoins on this bass

Am I right to be critical about the neck pocket or is it a myth
Cheers

I've looked at loads (100s) of Fenders in the flesh and I've never seen one that I've gone "urggh" over the neck / neck pocket.

I put a mighty mite neck on a p bass once, and the holes were slightly misaligned - it had been on a p bass elite. It still fitted, but fitted better after the holes were filled and redrilled. And it needed a bit of sanding as the fit was slightly too snug. Other than that, I've never seen any problems. Certainly never seen any problems with any for sale in shops.

My oh my. I have just set up a Jap P bass for a friend.

But I still don't get why you bassist think so much of them!

Every P bass I have tried felt very average compared to my Wal, Warwick and even my Hohner Steinberger copy. That's playability, sound. Sexiness? :D

Lots of you here disagree passionately, but they just don't inspire my playing.

Interference over.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1332880793' post='1594487']
Every P bass I have tried felt very average compared to my Wal, Warwick and even my Hohner Steinberger copy. That's playability, sound. Sexiness? :D

[/quote]

Horses for courses mate. I had a Warwick. It was a great bass, really fantastic. Build quality second to none. In the shop I tried loads of basses and this really sang

Then my guitarist leant me his Affinity P that he had for recording and it was like coming home. Just that sound that comes from (nearly) every P-bass. The sound that in a band setting has the Goldilocks effect (just right) :D

Edited for usual Clauster typos ;)

Edited by clauster

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1332880793' post='1594487']

[/quote]

And I'd take a P-Bass over everything you've just listed! Opinions differ. I generally found that I rarely got complaints with recording work when I used a P-Bass.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1332882225' post='1594508']
And I'd take a P-Bass over everything you've just listed! Opinions differ. I generally found that I rarely got complaints with recording work when I used a P-Bass.
[/quote]
comfort zones and acceptability from peers. :)
however can't argue with your recording experiences. Oh, and me neither with mine ;)

Regarding Vintage, and other 'lesser' basses:
A lot of copies play as good as the 'real deal'. Always try before you buy and don't feel ashamed to own a copy - I have learned that for sure

As I said earlier, My Hohner Steinberger copy cost me £120 s/h/ and it has the fastest neck I have ever played. Ideas just fly off it for me.
If Pino Palladino played a Vintage, it would sound high-end. Don't forget the great man himself has used a Squier which he has recorded with. And that is a man who could choose any bass he wants. Horses for courses I guess.

:)

Edited by leftyhook

• 3 months later...

I have two Vintage V4 basses and they are both excellent instruments. One is the standard black with rosewood fretboard, the other is the Tony Butler sig version - because I wanted a black one with maple board. Both are very well made, quality hardware and feel great to play. I've been able to get a very low action on both and they just work beautifully. The TB Sig is definitely a real looker too - I just love that gloss black, black pickguard and all maple neck/board. The neck as a rather nice rich lacquer finish to it. No sharp frets on either, both stay in tune for ages and sound superb.

You may have gathered I might recommend one! Cheap? No. Inexpensive? Yes!

I also have a Highway One Jazz which is similarly rather delightful.

Cheers

Geoff

Is this your first bass? If it is you're best to buy secondhand and put the money you save towards a decent amp. A good bass will sound crap through a underpowered amp with farty speakers (I know because I've owned a few rotten amps).

For someone looking at the Precision sound, I'd recommend checking out the 50s version with the single coil.
Yes, not the same bass -although they are both "Precision" in name... and althoughh they sound in the ballbark of eachother, I personally prefer the sound of the 50s one.
In particular, the Squier 50s Precision from the Classic Vibe series is a really nice bass.

I bought a Vintage Series SX P Bass a couple of months ago, and I have to say, my jazz hasn't had a look in since. Nice and light, tight neck pocket, great sounding bass for £159. I understand they're a bit tricky to get hold of though...

+1 for a Mike dirnt just as good as USA P.
Vintage are pretty good for the money but my first one went back with truss rod issues and the Tony Butler went back for badly seated frets.
Best P i owned was a USA 2002 P in butterscotch blonde. i did see it for sale on this forum a few months ago, I paid £400 for it. Think the new owner wanted a bit more but it goes to show, bide your time and bargains do turn up, just don't be rushed into buying something your going to want to replace in a month.

My Precision is Mexican and I love it! I bought it on ebay blind for £180, with a hardcase, and once I'd cleaned it and set it up it was brilliant, nice and comfy to play, and even with the stock pickup my bandmates at the time commented on how good it sounded. I sold it on here in about 2008 and then received it back in a trade last year (I had no idea it was my old bass until I took it out of the box!)

I've made a few mods to it, a new bridge, new wiring from KiOgon and a tort scratchplate from The Bass Doc, and when I got the bass back it had a Wizard Thumper instead of the Duncan 1/4 Pounder it had in it when I sold it, and it's my go to bass now, I'm sure this is said about many basses that eventually get sold on but I reckon it's a keeper. I briefly owned a US Standard P Bass and I much prefer the lowly Mex. I've never found that the build quality of Mexican instruments has been poor, the neck pocket on my Jazz has a slight lip on it but I've seen that on higher end instruments too.

I'd recommend a Mex Standard, I think they can be great basses, but if you have the cash I'd definitely go for a 50s Classic P Bass, they're outstanding instruments. I tried one in Sound Control up here in Glasgow and actually ordered one online because the shop didn't have black, only Fiesta Red, but due to my impatience I cancelled the order when I found out it wouldn't be instock for about 6 weeks (despite the site saying otherwise), which is what led me to buy the US Standard. In hindsight, I wish I'd waited the 6 weeks, shortly after the price went up and I've never been able to afford another one since :(

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1341313592' post='1716700']
My Precision is Mexican and I love it! I bought it on ebay blind for £180, with a hardcase, and once I'd cleaned it and set it up it was brilliant, nice and comfy to play, and even with the stock pickup my bandmates at the time commented on how good it sounded. I sold it on here in about 2008 and then received it back in a trade last year (I had no idea it was my old bass until I took it out of the box!)

I've made a few mods to it, a new bridge, new wiring from KiOgon and a tort scratchplate from The Bass Doc, and when I got the bass back it had a Wizard Thumper instead of the Duncan 1/4 Pounder it had in it when I sold it, and it's my go to bass now, I'm sure this is said about many basses that eventually get sold on but I reckon it's a keeper. I briefly owned a US Standard P Bass and I much prefer the lowly Mex. I've never found that the build quality of Mexican instruments has been poor, the neck pocket on my Jazz has a slight lip on it but I've seen that on higher end instruments too.

I'd recommend a Mex Standard, I think they can be great basses, but if you have the cash I'd definitely go for a 50s Classic P Bass, they're outstanding instruments. I tried one in Sound Control up here in Glasgow and actually ordered one online because the shop didn't have black, only Fiesta Red, but due to my impatience I cancelled the order when I found out it wouldn't be instock for about 6 weeks (despite the site saying otherwise), which is what led me to buy the US Standard. In hindsight, I wish I'd waited the 6 weeks, shortly after the price went up and I've never been able to afford another one since :(
[/quote]

so, how would you compare the Thumper vs the quarter pounder?