Why become a member? ×

What is a "Fender Geddy Lee" jazz bass?

Conan

In the last few months there have been numerous references to (and quite a few sales of) bass guitars referred to as "Fender Geddy Lee" models.

Some of them have been modified or upgraded to the point where there is little of the 'original' instrument left. Others were never actually assembled by Fender at all, but knocked up by an individual who may or may not be the one who is trying to sell the aforementioned guitar.

The only common factors that link these guitars seems to be the use of a black body (but not always), a high-mass bridge and a maple neck with maple fingerboard and block inlays (usually black).

So is this all a "Geddy" really is? A black bodied J bass with a maple neck?

Or are some people swinging the lead slightly in their descriptions? :yarr:

Opinions?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1332508704' post='1589336']
I figured 'Geddy Lee' is just used to refer to the neck being Geddy'd. I could be wrong.
[/quote]

And the Badass - don't forget the Badass! :)

I think the differences are:
An actual Fender Geddy Lee Signature Series Jazz Bass
A Fender Jazz Bass modified to look like Geddy Lees Jazz Bass
A (brand un-named/unknown) Jazz Bass, made to look like Geddy Lees Jazz Bass

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332508831' post='1589342']
70s spacing
[/quote]

Well the instrument that inspired the model is a 1972 J, so it certainly should be! ;) :happy:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1332510915' post='1589388']
a chap called Serge who gives you a hefty kick in the knackers just before you start singing.[/quote]

[b]SERGE GAINSBOURG[/b]

[size=3][b]Gainsbourg[/b]: Chanteur, poet, painter and testicle 'tech'.[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1332511197' post='1589395']
What is the differences in the neck shape? Never tried one personally.
[/quote]

Very shallow. A bit like myself.

Nice lacquer too. Neither too shiny nor too dull. Baby bear would approve.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1332510915' post='1589388']
The custom shop version comes with a proshetic nose and a chap called Serge who gives you a hefty kick in the knackers just before you start singing.
[/quote]

Do you need to pay extra for this or is it part of the package?

Jez

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1332510220' post='1589371']
Well the instrument that inspired the model is a 1972 J, so it certainly should be!
[/quote]

Oops, apologies for sullying your thread with my input about where it is intrinsically more different to most other jazzes.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1332511363' post='1589402']
[b]SERGE GAINSBOURG[/b]

[size=3][b]Gainsbourg[/b]: Chanteur, poet, painter and testicle 'tech'.[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]
[/quote]

more like one of these hosers i reckon

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332518212' post='1589525']
Oops, apologies for sullying your thread with my input about where it is intrinsically more different to most other jazzes.
[/quote]

Don't take umbrage man - I was agreeing with you!! :rolleyes: :)

What's the spacing on modern Js then? Sixties style? :blink: Ijust assumed that they changed in the seventies and stayed like that. :blush:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1332531982' post='1589794']
Don't take umbrage man - I was agreeing with you!! :rolleyes: :)

What's the spacing on modern Js then? Sixties style? :blink: Ijust assumed that they changed in the seventies and stayed like that. :blush:
[/quote]

Well I guess it looks more like it now you've added the smilies. :happy:

Anyhoo I've heard some say that it was only used for a couple of years but I think the 70s spacing was used on some basses right up until the early 80s (like '82 or something) then it went back to Leo's design.

I have an original 73 jazz with this neck on it. Mine is black the same but came with a black scratch plate from new. Rare. Right, just to expand a bit on whats been said here - the neck is the narrowest neck that Fender have ever made, and really fast to play. Geddy Lee actually bought his second hand in a junk shop and added the badass later. He also had the pickups rewound by about 5% over the standard winde. Any more than 5% and you are really into heavy metal sounding territory. The new Japanese Geddy Lee's are really superb and usually play fast as hell straight out of the box. For abouty £850 they are the best of the bunch. I would recommend one to anybody. You would not be disappointed with it.

OK chaps, thats my two-penneth IMHO

Been toying with the idea of acquiring one for a while, because I've heard good reports ref. the fast neck.................not keen on buying a fender 'out of the box' because imo quality appears to be inconsistent unless you enter the custom shop price bracket; although having said that, I have never heard of a bad Geddy Lee bass.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332534776' post='1589853']

Anyhoo I've heard some say that it was only used for a couple of years but I think the 70s spacing was used on some basses right up until the early 80s (like '82 or something) then it went back to Leo's design.
[/quote]
My housemate has an 83 which has the 70s spacing, but round about this time, Fender were simply using up parts that were on the shelf.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1332545082' post='1590017']Anyway: who's Geddy Lee...?
[/quote]

Mine. :D

And yes, these really do seem to be just about the most consistent model that Fender have produced in years. Crafted in Japan. Wonderful neck - it's not just the profile that makes it so playable, but the nature of the finish. It just [i]slides[/i]...

The one I recently acquired has after-market EMG J pickups on it, so I am yet to experience the true 'growl' - but I must admit that I kinda like the smooth, hi-fi tone that these pickups give (especially now that they are wired up properly! ;) ). Maybe more like a Marcus Miller in tone? Anyway, if I get sick of that particular style I have a pair of Wizard Hammers in my other J bass which I might swap over. Decisions, decisions! B)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332534776' post='1589853']
[/quote]

Yeah - sorry about that. I can see how the original 'unsmilied' post may have come across as a bit snotty... :unsure: