Why become a member? ×

What Is Hip

Pete Academy

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332171840' post='1584237']
I have an IKEA flask with some very nice hoops in different shades of green. Is that hip?
[/quote]

No, a hip flask is one of those little metal ones you put whisky or brandy in.....

I appreciate massively how technical it is and how only a select few could pull it off but to me it's trying too hard and ends up not being cool at all. The human body is incredible and with appropriate training is capable of some crazy things but it gets a bit geeky and scientific when you get to that level. Don't get me wrong I'm jealous as hell and think he's an incredible player but he could be sooooo much funkier than this.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1332182474' post='1584484']
Its all good. The original and this.They are very different approaches to the song thats for sure. If there was a gun to my head and i had to choose over MM version and TOP i'd go TOP but hopefully that ain't gonna happen.
[/quote]

I agree...........
But without the gun to my head.

Garry

I have both MM and TOP albums. MM is great, and I love alot of his stuff....BUT the orginal sounded so much better to my ears. The groove Rocco gets it amasing. Now, technically the MM song was amasing, my jaw was on the floor at the double thumbing and it made me feel down that I am still a million miles from where I want to be at slapping as a technique...but it didn't groove to my ears.

Some interesting opinions.

As for Marcus having no soul? I don't think he's capable, whatever he plays.

I love his takes on cover versions. Remember 'Teen Town'? I recall being gobsmacked at his slapped version.

I don't think the original TOP version can be bettered, but I think Marcus realises this and just wanted to do another 'Teen Town'.

I just love it, and that's my opinion. To me, it's a player at the very top of his game.

I've got a lot of respect for Marcus Miller, after all he's developed one of the most widely imitated sounds that the bass has known and I happen to think he's an incredible musician. But I'll forever prefer him as a sideman playing with other people. For me, it's like he's been going at the same stuff with his solo playing for years, and it's sounding very tired and pretty dated.

Ironically though, I'd like to see what he could do with a P-Bass and some flats!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1332191001' post='1584668']
How would you describe soul?
[/quote]

Screw soul... The dude needs a decent tone before worrying about soul!

Great player almost ruined by a poor tone IMO.

Edited by skej21

Great technique use to impress me when I was young because I aspired to be able to be technically excellent. I worked quite hard in a misguided way to try to get great facility on my instrument. However, the older I get, the less use I have for it. Now my tools are all about intelligent composition and expression, and the sensitivity you acquire when you have some control over your instrument. I am still a musical baby, but I would like to think that I can express my personality a bit.

This video seems to exploit the infancy of the aspirant musician, and allow the players to show off their skills. To me that is not what represents the essence of what the ART of music 'should' be about. But we are all different, we all express ourselves differently.

I found the video a bit childlike, and therefore completely uninspiring, style over substance.

Sorry Pete.

I know what you mean. I thought the Same about the teen town thing. I realised when I was in a band a couple of years ago having just discovered Marcus millers music. That I was using my thumb to play a complex line. Just because I 'could' Not that I 'should'
I find it the same here and with his ( and others) 'covered it by slapping it all with my thumb' versions.
It's like. Yes. You could. But should you? Does it actually work best and benefit the track. Or has it become just that the whole point of it is no longer the track. But the fact that you can do the track with just your thumb and isn't that clever.

Am I making sense?