Why become a member? ×

What Is Hip

Pete Academy

i wish i played like that :P as for the song we know miller has a soul in other songs like that [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KA7C1LyPg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1KA7C1LyPg[/url]

he is great player this song is a great example of his thechnique in IMO!!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1332095225' post='1583172']
I'm not trying to force people to like Marcus, but I think this version of 'What Is Hip' by Tower Of Power is just incredible.

Technique, sound, feel, timing, dynamics...it's all here.
[/quote]

It certainly showed a lot of technique and timing...

For me it's like watching somebody defeat the final boss on a video game for their hundredth time. It's clearly very, very difficult to do and he gets to the end without losing a life, picking up all the bonuses, without raising a sweat... but there's nothing on offer for me as a viewer. He looks bored, as does his band.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1332161758' post='1584018']
He looks bored, as does his band.
[/quote]

Much as I love MM's playing, I have to agree with this. I just think that the tempo is too fast to allow much in the way of feel, nuance or dynamics. To me, soul is more about the spaces in the music and this all sounds a bit frantic and rushed. Impressive but not enjoyable.

Sorry Pete!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1332163575' post='1584061']
They are all concentrating at a level that BC'ers can only dream of!
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess it could be that. I forgot that Jazz isn't a very "visual" medium. :yarr:

I want to like it tbh. I kinda don't though. It seems sort of ...
'I'm Marcus Miller, here's the bit where I have to do the crazy fast slapping thing, even though it doesnt actually fit the music that well but it's what people want me to do. Hey ho'

Y'know?!

It happens to me. Im no Marcus Miller, but I get 'bass solo' all the time. So I grin and go thwackedy whack and run up and down the neck stupidly fast and everyone goes 'oooohhh'. It's what they want and expect So I do it and remain glad that they like seeing me do it. -- while secretly wishing they noticed my subtle use of chords and harmonics or my fingering technique or my carefully balanced tone, or my tightness with the drummer or my ravishing good looks instead ;)
But no.
So it's inappropriate thwackedy whack. 'ooohhhh'
:)