Why become a member? ×

What Is Hip

Pete Academy

You are making great sense Gaf.

Also, I think his 'tone' (which I found to be the utmost in clinical and ugly), is designe to make him audible, and not to make the music sound nice as a whole. Horrid bass tone to my ears, dry as a year-old sponge cake and just as tasteless.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332191914' post='1584695']
He has the best tone YOU could wish for... He has the tone I have nightmares about...
[/quote]

I have to agree with you - that bass tone most certainly sucks donkey bollocks bigtime.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332195869' post='1584793']
Best. Quote. Ever.
[/quote]
Really? As much as I like Rhys, it's one of those phrases that elicits the same response to it that I think MM's tone does.

I actually like to think my tones ARE the donkey's bollocks - big, sturdy, durable, and can survive pounding the sands of chav towns day in and day out, even if I am a slave in a stupid hat.

I genuinely don't really know much about Marcus Miller, so that vid that Pete posted was a bit of a revelation for me. But not in the way one might think.

There I was thinking "Oh. Sounds like someone playing some jazzy stuff quite fast. That Marcus Miller, he seems like quite a good bass player. Sounds OK. Nice hat."

When it would seem that it was a musical transgression of biblical proportions, delivered without soul but with cynical boredom and employing a 'tone' which - apparently - 'sucks donkey bollocks'.

My naivety shames me. I wish I knew as much about music as other people do.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1332196264' post='1584801']
I actually like to think my tones ARE the donkey's bollocks - big, sturdy, durable, and can survive pounding the sands of chav towns day in and day out, even if I am a slave in a stupid hat.
[/quote]

Unlike MM's tone, which sounds like Robocop taking a cheese grater to his genitalia!

Painful. Clanky. Mindless. Totally unnecessary.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332196803' post='1584812']
Unlike MM's tone, which sounds like Robocop taking a cheese grater to his genitalia!

Painful. Clanky. Mindless. Totally unnecessary.
[/quote]
Well, it suits him. I just don't like what he does.

Thanks for that Pete- in the minority here but I thought it was great.
His feel AND sound are incredible in the solo sections. Incredibly supportive.
Is that his new lineup? I found the drummer's take refreshing- Poogie is a monster no doubt but it's good to hear him with different musos.

Some of the previous posts are a bit embarrassing if I'm honest- just imagine if Jaco was around today and a member on here.
He wouldn't (and doesn't usually) stand a f***ing chance.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1332200980' post='1584882']
Is that his new lineup? I found the drummer's take refreshing- Poogie is a monster no doubt but it's good to hear him with different musos.

Some of the previous posts are a bit embarrassing if I'm honest- just imagine if Jaco was around today and a member on here.
[/quote]
How can a solo be supportive?

[i]Confused of Ealing.[/i]

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1332200980' post='1584882']

[/quote]
What is it you're embarrassed about?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1332201396' post='1584890']
What is it you're embarrassed about?
[/quote]

Don't want to get into a huge argument here but I find these kind of threads are becoming a bit predictable.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions etc etc.

[i]"Robocop taking a cheese grater to his genitalia[/i]
[i]Painful. Clanky. Mindless. Totally unnecessary."[/i]

[i]"that bass tone most certainly sucks donkey bollocks big time."[/i]

Couldn't disagree more. I find that style of criticism non-constructive and juvenile.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1332202163' post='1584904']
I find that style of criticism non-constructive and juvenile.
[/quote]
Well spotted Sherlock - it was meant to be.
Sorry to be juvenile in the middle of such a serious adult discussion as talking about whether somebodys bass sounds nice or not.

Whether I'd said what I did or posted a detailed technical dissertation on exactly why that piece of music does nothing for me the outcome would be the same - everybody would have their own opinion & the OP would occasionally reply with the written equivalent of putting their fingers in their ears & going "lalalala I can't hear you"

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332195869' post='1584793']
Best. Quote. Ever.
[/quote]

I quite like the way he made the song definitely his- and did something different with it. Prefer the TOP version of course but at least his version tries not to be boring.

Listen to his tone on this- the way he switches from bridge to both pickups and the tone of his fingers when playing at bridge and neck- fantastic!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90t0ThWP-pE

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1332246700' post='1585419']
I quite like the way he made the song definitely his- and did something different with it. Prefer the TOP version of course but at least his version tries not to be boring.

Listen to his tone on this- the way he switches from bridge to both pickups and the tone of his fingers when playing at bridge and neck- fantastic!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90t0ThWP-pE[/media]
[/quote]

this is one of the best performances i ve ever seen because is simple and complicated at the same time :)