Why become a member? ×

What Is Hip

Pete Academy

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1332251859' post='1585562']
I think he meant form - abab, bridge, solos and out. :ph34r:
Garry
[/quote]

Actually I think he meant A flat.
I was making some kind of attempt at humour - a complete waste of f***ing time in this thread by the looks of things.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1332274078' post='1586005']
Would it be wrong of me (and pedantic) to point out the original post title should be "What is Hip?".......
[/quote]

Fear not - I would say it was no less than your duty to do exactly that.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1332273114' post='1585979']
Actually I think he meant A flat.
I was making some kind of attempt at humour - a complete waste of f***ing time in this thread by the looks of things.
[/quote]

I do know what he meant.
:lol:

For what its worth - i thought the Jewish agent from Archer St was funny.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Would it be wrong of me (and pedantic) to point out the original post title should be "What is Hip?".......
[/quote]

Would it be wrong of me (and pedantic) to point out that your post should read 'Would it be wrong of me (and pedantic) to point out the original post title should be "What is Hip?"?.......'?

[/quote]

It would, if the OP was actually a statement "What is hip". Letting us know that the word "What" is actually cool and groovy. Which it is.

Watching that NAMM clip I think I've decided what I don't like about Marcus' playing is his overblown dynamics, it's really corny. Notes are either soft or absolutely battered, it sounds like someone spitting on you.

I prefer listening to him speak than playing bass because he's obviously a really clever and experienced guy with a lot of interesting stuff to say, but his playing makes me want to sedate him.

I'm with Pete on this one, Marcus can do no wrong for me, horses for courses I guess, but I love his tone, dynamics, technique, everything. Sometimes the "lead" bass playing can wear a little thin, I prefer it when he's in a groove with the band, but otherwise, I too am a big fan. Looking forward to the Ritz in Manchester in May.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332351941' post='1587187']
Watching that NAMM clip I think I've decided what I don't like about Marcus' playing is his overblown dynamics, it's really corny. Notes are either soft or absolutely battered, it sounds like someone spitting on you.

I prefer listening to him speak than playing bass because he's obviously a really clever and experienced guy with a lot of interesting stuff to say, but his playing makes me want to sedate him.
[/quote]

I appreciate your opinion. Personally, I think Marcus has the ultimate tone, especially for slap. It's much better appreciated with headphones

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1332249419' post='1585494']
Everything is there- I do not get tired of watching this performance at all.
[/quote]
This is excellent...
[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1332095225' post='1583172']
I'm not trying to force people to like Marcus, but I think this version of 'What Is Hip' by Tower Of Power is just incredible.
Technique, sound, feel, timing, dynamics...it's all here.
[/quote]
This is not...

You fool Pete! Didn't you stop to think that this song about doing cool stuff is really meant to be a soulful, heart-rending ballad bemoaning the intangibility of fashion and the agonies of mortality? And not fun in the slightest? How dare that fat idiot Marcus Miller come along and cheapen it like this by playing fast and incorporating a degree of treble in the tone of his BASS guitar. All frequencies above 800Hz are henceforth banned.