Why become a member? ×

Led zeppelin and black sabbath just dont do anything for me !

gub

I can't think of any bands that I used to like but don't any more. Led Zep and Sabbath included.
However I can think of plenty of music that I didn't used to like but do now. That is one of life's joys I think.. discovering more and more stuff out there to like.

However, some stuff will just never float your boat however hard you try. For me this includes Van Morrison and Hank Wiliams to name but two. So I can understand if the OP just can't get into LZ and Sabbath. Shame though cos the more you like the more there is to enjoy! :) (At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious :lol: )

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332162316' post='1584029']
Don't worry, John. In truth, nobady here gives a rat's a*** what anyone else thinks about the bands they like. Its all done in good humour. :lol:
[/quote]

In which case it's a puzzle why people start these threads. Is it just to provoke a good humoured fight between those who are quite passionate about their opinions and really can't understand how anyone else could disagree, while the rest of us watch with detached amusement?

Or is it a cry for help? If all you've heard of Led Zep is Stairway and the drivel about elves, or 20 minutes of Kashmir being relentlessly ground to death, perhaps a pointer to Gallows Pole or In the Evening would be a kind of social service.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think its sometimes hard for folk to like stuff that pre-dates their own generation. Bands like LZ were, to some extent at least, 'of their time' and things have moved forward so it is hard to see what they would have been like 'fresh out of the box' and without a modern reference point like Dream Theatre or whatever. I felt that way about Hendrix and Cream - didn't get them at all - and was into Magnum and Maiden and The Enid (late 80s Rock). Never been a Beatles or Stones fan, never liked Floyd etc as they all peakd before I was aware of what was going on out there.

As for growing out of bands, I think you always carry some nostaligic fondness for the stuff you used to like, just never go to it when you want to listen. I have moments on Spotify when I 'go back' for old times sake but they seldom last more than a few minutes and I almost never listen to a whole track of the 'old' stuff.

No way Is this meant to be a hate thread at all , I see that the bands in question have made a huge contribution to the music we have today , maybe I am a bit stuck listening to the same stuff and need to try harder to broaden my horizons , just find it difficult to connect with some stuff that's all and it just happens to be stuff which a lot of people love , at least I like a bit of floyd now and then so all is not lost ;)

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1332101124' post='1583351']
We cover both bands in one go by starting Whole Lotta Love and after the 2nd chorus go into Paranoid, then back into the last part of Whole Lotta Love. We call in Whole Lotta Paranoid.

I'm more into LZ than Sabbath, but it's probably down to listening to more LZ.

BTW you spell Zeppelin wrong in your thread title :P
[/quote]
Ha thanks :rolleyes:

I've never really liked LZ that much, just never clicked with me.

However, I do love a bit of the Sabs. Brilliant albums, I even love 'Technical Ecstasy'!

'Never Say Die' is a brilliant album, I've just always loved it although it gets a really bad press. Geezer can't apparently remember using a Ric on parts (if not all) of the album. He said a few years back that he'd only used one for a single gig (the 'NSD' gig on video), and that he'd always recorded with Precisions in those days. That's another thread!

Intro to 'Junior's Eyes'? No question!

I'd probably for for 'Volume 4' as my favourite overall. I just love the sound of their records as well.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1332177543' post='1584378']
I've never really liked LZ that much, just never clicked with me.

However, I do love a bit of the Sabs. Brilliant albums, I even love 'Technical Ecstasy'!

'Never Say Die' is a brilliant album, I've just always loved it although it gets a really bad press. Geezer can't apparently remember using a Ric on parts (if not all) of the album. He said a few years back that he'd only used one for a single gig (the 'NSD' gig on video), and that he'd always recorded with Precisions in those days. That's another thread!

[/quote]

Now you mention it that is a good album (eats humble pie). Mainly cos it doesn't sound like the other stuff :P

Never Say Die Side 1 and Sockwave are pretty decent Way better than Technical Ecstacy. The rest however, is worse than anything I can imagine.

Re the Ric

The Ric Geezer Butler used on the Vid.... He says on some occasions, that he lent it of Glenn Hughes after all his gear was held by customs. In another interview he says that he swapped it off Glenn in exchange for his thunderbird (which I have never seen a picture off). As Geezer is a short arse this is plausible. However I have seen tons of photo's for the Never Say Die writing and recording sessions and the only bass on display is the Ric.

I read an interview with Geezer in "Beat Instrumental" around the time of "Never Say Die" where he was talking about owning a Rickenbacker & rarely using it but carried it as a spare. He was meant to be playing one of his John Birch basses for the filming of the video but the truss rod went in the neck before filming & the bass was unplayable so he had no choice but to use the Rick.

It's easy to rubbish established and hugely talented bands based on one's own personal preference. Some people don't get that music is a huge, vast spectrum made up of a lot of artists, and that there's lots for everyone to choose from. There's a difference between opinion and narrow-mindedness, unfortunately the distinction between the two gets blurred on internet forums!

On a side note, this thread inspired me to remind myself of just how good Zeppelin were. Like them or not, I do wish that we had more artists on the radio who cared at least nearly as much as Zeppelin did for writing a great song like this one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-M81ZtvTM&feature=related[/media]

I still get the chills when I hear 'When The Levee Breaks' played [b][size=6]LOUD!!!!![/size][/b]

The funkier Led Zep stuff I really like - listen to the bass on the lemon song and then tell me JPJ wasn't any good (listen from about 3 mins in).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHHRpAzGcM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHHRpAzGcM&feature=related[/url]

Edited by gjones

I certainly have not got any 'hate' impression from the thread, I think sometimes a question such as the OP raises is almost out of seeking some like minded reassurance ;) . After all, you here people banging on about how wonderful some bands are , and if an individual doesn't get it , it is quite reasonable to ask if anyone else feels the same .

I read an interview with Geezer in "Beat Instrumental" around the time of "Never Say Die" where he was talking about owning a Rickenbacker & rarely using it but carried it as a spare. He was meant to be playing one of his John Birch basses for the filming of the video but the truss rod went in the neck before filming & the bass was unplayable so he had no choice but to use the Rick..

[size=3][color=#222222][font=Arial]Sounds right, he certainly used his Black/white striped John Birch SG on most of the other dates..... Later on he had a hideous Jaydee Humbug thing (pictures of it on the Jaydee website). You do get the impression that Geezer only has about 2 basses at any one time! and only gets a new one when he has broken his current one.

It is also rumoured that Robert Plant did some backing vocals on Sabotage but for contractual reasons could not be named, but certainly Zep and sabbath used to jam together on occasion.

Anyway back on thread.... Zep and Sabbath are great...anyone who says otherwise is wrong and their opinions should be politely disregarded as gibbering waffle. So there[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Von Death

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1332093755' post='1583132']
I feel like the odd man out so many times in our rehersals as the rest of the guys are all into led zeppelin and sabbath and well ...i am not ! am i just being paranoid ? i really dont know , i feel like the black dog of the band !
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. Why do you feel compelled to like them?

Sabbath was my first musical love (aged about 10 or 11 I suppose), swiftly followed by Deep Purple and Hawkwind, and Led Zep a year or two later. I still listen to all of them, but I don't think anyone should feel bad about not liking them. Be proud to be different! I have absolutely no interest in Motown, or any other soul for that matter, which puts me in a minority on here - but who cares, really? There's so much music out there - go find some stuff that speaks to [b]you[/b][b].[/b] :)

Due to this thread, I wasted 2 hours of valuable time I won't get back trying to track down the first time I saw Black Sabbath, which it turns out was the "Extravaganza 70" at Olympia in London in early June 1970. I remember thinking BS were just loud and not being that impressed. But earlier in the week I'd been blown away by Jon Hiseman and Colosseum and that was a hard act to follow.

I've spent the last xx years under the illusion I also saw The Nice that week, but according to the interweb they'd broken up by then and it must have been Jackson Heights. Don't remember any knives being thrown, so that's probably right.

Anyone else see BS that far back?

I quite like both bands - however, when I went to see "Song remains the same", Page's endless self-indulgent (and, let's face it, not exactly brilliant) soloes nearly sent me to sleep. I just feel that they (especially Zep) are rather overrated. The 'Oo were always a better band than Zep... D&RFC

I have this problem with the Rolling Stones. Everybody in (one of) my band thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread but try as I might I don't get it.

I've never listened to Sabbath or Led Zep. I couldn't name a Sabbath song and I only know the obvious ones from Led Zep. I can take them or leave them quite honestly.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332095180' post='1583170']
I don't think you have to like them - it's just a shame that they're not doing anything for you, given their relative influence.

But, then again, I can't stood Wooten, Miller, etc. Great technique and ability; not going on my stereo, sadly. It's all horses for courses, and neither outcome is wrong.
[/quote]

I'm with you on Wooten!

I love ZEP's early bluesy stuff and Robert Plant has to be one of the best front men (person) ever. I saw him on his Big Log tour in Hong Kong in the 80's (not name dropping, just happened to be there in the Navy at the time). A very strange affair, the locals sat quietly and politely clapped after every number - was quite emotionless? Also, he did Lemon Song but the rest was 'take it or leave it' really.

I hear that Paranoid was written in 20 mins? Can't argue with the fact that Black Sabbath = Paranoid!

BTW, I saw Bowie on his Serious Moonlight tour in Perth OZ in '83 - still the best gig I've ever seen!

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1332266225' post='1585831']
I love ZEP's early bluesy stuff and Robert Plant has to be one of the best front men (person) ever. I saw him on his Big Log tour in Hong Kong in the 80's (not name dropping, just happened to be there in the Navy at the time). A very strange affair, the locals sat quietly and politely clapped after every number - was quite emotionless? Also, he did Lemon Song but the rest was 'take it or leave it' really.

I hear that Paranoid was written in 20 mins? Can't argue with the fact that Black Sabbath = Paranoid!

BTW, I saw Bowie on his Serious Moonlight tour in Perth OZ in '83 - still the best gig I've ever seen!
[/quote]
Got to see bowie myself at glasto in 2000 ,amazing show and seem to remember he had great female bass player as well!

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1332272366' post='1585959']
Got to see bowie myself at glasto in 2000 ,amazing show and seem to remember he had great female bass player as well!
[/quote]

At a guess that would be Gail Ann Dorsey. Certainly not Geezer or JPJ.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1