Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a five string

Geek99

Hi
I'd like a low b five string, I will probably have to buy used to get best value. I have a jazz bass and a sting ray clone coupled with relaively short fingers and arms so don't want something with a massively wide board or with a hugely long neck.

I don't gig and very occasionally play with others.

It's got to be fairly flexible in sonic terms. Pretty wood is always nice as a bonus. Id prefer quality over flash. I've tried looking in the market place but it's like a sweet shop.

I have at most £275. What can people recommend based on their own experience?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331906873' post='1580755']
Hi
I'd like a low b five string, I will probably have to buy used to get best value. I have at most £275. What can people recommend based on their own experience?
[/quote]

You don't want my Cort? :(

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331906873' post='1580755']
Hi
I'd like a low b five string, I will probably have to buy used to get best value. I have a jazz bass and a sting ray clone coupled with relaively short fingers and arms so don't want something with a massively wide board or with a hugely long neck.

I don't gig and very occasionally play with others.

It's got to be fairly flexible in sonic terms. Pretty wood is always nice as a bonus. Id prefer quality over flash. I've tried looking in the market place but it's like a sweet shop.

I have at most £275. What can people recommend based on their own experience?
[/quote]

I'm potentially in the same situation, about £250-£300...seriously considering a VMJ Squier - any reviews???

Hiya,
I seem to recall from one of your earlier posts that the Pass of Caradhras is quite close to Derby ! I've got an Epiphone Embassy 5er with pickups upgraded to Kent Armstrongs. Maybe you'd like to have a look and play on it? It'll give you an idea at what a budget 5er is like, particularly a 34" scale with a wide-ish (but narrow front to back) neck and a hefty weight.
Let me know.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1331984779' post='1581689']
Hiya,
I seem to recall from one of your earlier posts that the Pass of Caradhras is quite close to Derby ! I've got an Epiphone Embassy 5er with pickups upgraded to Kent Armstrongs. Maybe you'd like to have a look and play on it? It'll give you an idea at what a budget 5er is like, particularly a 34" scale with a wide-ish (but narrow front to back) neck and a hefty weight.
Let me know.
[/quote]
Ok I found one on dr google _ where are you in derby ? Thanks for the suggestion

[quote name='Jamesemt' timestamp='1332027822' post='1582400']
In my (limited) experience of fivers, I feel that sometimes it's not about the neck size but more about the shape. I prefer Jazz necks in 4s, but can't get on with Ibanez SR 5 necks.

[/quote]Yes tried one in music scene - sr 205 ? Didn't like it, which surprised me

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1331982109' post='1581630']

I'm potentially in the same situation, about £250-£300...seriously considering a VMJ Squier - any reviews???
[/quote]
Yes lots on google- cheapest place I found is soundslive in newcastle

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1331908113' post='1580780']
Peavey Grind, Cirrus, or Zephyr (C5). The Grinds especially go for ridiculously small sums on That Ebay.
[/quote]

These are all great basses for the money, but I think the 5-string versions are all 35" scale length which might not suit the OP if he has small hands.

Should be able to find Bass Collection 5er for that money. The fingerboards are wide, but the necks are slim.

I've got an Ibanez BTB555 for sale in the marketplace at the moment, but it's got quite wide spacing unfortunately.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170774-fsft-ibanez-btb555/"]http://basschat.co.u...-ibanez-btb555/[/url]

I played VMJ 5 string a while back and they seem like fantastic basses, in fact I'm after one myself. I think for around £300 it might be your best bet.

Edited by TDM

They don't come up too often but an OLP SR5 copy might suit you, 34" scale and narrow string spacing, plus plenty of upgrade opens should you wish to do so at a later date, I really like mine but it doesn't have a hauge range of tones.

R.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1332080676' post='1582871']
Yes was talking to someone about an OLP but I just can't stand the horrible scratchplate
[/quote]

Fair point, I don't mind it at all but know that it does bother some people, there is the MM SUB 5 which is more like a 4 string Ray in design but that might be a bit out of your price range and it has that odd textured finish to the body.

How about a used Spector Legend 5 Classic in Black Cherryburst?

16mm String Spacing, just under 45mm at the nut - the neck profile is (IMO) very similar to a Jazz neck profile, scale length is 35", active EMG's - plays really nicely!

Certainly worth a thought!

The one on the right! Only pic I've got at the moment - if you were mildly interested I could take some more and upload them... :)

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1332082154' post='1582897']
How about a used Spector Legend 5 Classic in Black Cherryburst?

16mm String Spacing, just under 45mm at the nut - the neck profile is (IMO) very similar to a Jazz neck profile, scale length is 35", active EMG's - plays really nicely!

Certainly worth a thought!

The one on the right! Only pic I've got at the moment - if you were mildly interested I could take some more and upload them... :)
[/quote]
Thanks - but as I said above I seem to struggle with 35" :)