Why become a member? ×

What sort of bassist are you?

xilddx

Been there etc etc have numerous T shirts, I also have an incredible state of mind that tells me I don't need to, but I do override this for contempory arrangements of older material. See I'm thinking practise already. Dontyajustlovethisforum. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330859115' post='1563763']
How does your age make a difference to the time you spend practising? :D
[/quote]

I think it makes a huge difference actually.

If you grew up learning to play in 70's there wasn't the astonishing amount of tutorial material available like there is today.

You had two options:
1. The schooled approach, which was impossible if you're family had no spare cash (and also there were no electric bass teachers around then, and a hell of a lot fewer guitar teachers who would have been pretty much all classical). Schools didn't teach guitar when I was there - it was piano, violin or nothing, and that was all extra curricular.

2. The learn by ear, noodling around approach, which is what, in my experience, the majority of players my age (47) did.
You never developed a disciplined practice regime, as there was nowhere to get the lessons from (no internet, no "Guitar Techniques" type magazines).

If I was starting to play now I would probably be as good in a couple of years as I am now after 33 years of playing.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1330861501' post='1563821']

If you grew up learning to play in 70's there wasn't the astonishing amount of tutorial material available like there is today.

You had two options:
1. The schooled approach, which was impossible if you're family had no spare cash (and also there were no electric bass teachers around then, and a hell of a lot fewer guitar teachers who would have been pretty much all classical). Schools didn't teach guitar when I was there - it was piano, violin or nothing, and that was all extra curricular.

2. The learn by ear, noodling around approach, which is what, in my experience, the majority of players my age (47) did.
You never developed a disciplined practice regime, as there was nowhere to get the lessons from (no internet, no "Guitar Techniques" type magazines).

If I was starting to play now I would probably be as good in a couple of years as I am now after 33 years of playing.
[/quote]

In 1961, when I bought my first bass, a Framus, there was nothing, I repeat nothing, I was incensed when the Piano player was playing the bass line with his left hand and I had to use two. I knew so little about playing I chose bass 'cos, 6 string hard 4 string easy. By 1965 I was playing regularly on the Mersey Scene and two Bass players I knew decided to go thethe Mathay Scool of music

[quote name='Oldman' timestamp='1330861972' post='1563838']

In 1961, when I bought my first bass, a Framus, there was nothing in Liverpool,I repeat nothing, I was incensed when the Piano player was playing the bass line with his left hand and I had to use two. I knew so little about playing I chose bass 'cos, 6 string hard 4 string easy. By 1965 I was playing regularly on the Mersey Scene and two Bass players I knew decided to go to the Mathay Scool of music
[/quote] School that should be. I didn't want to be a student, one went on to play sessions in New York (so he said later) the other did cruise ships, both still playing I should imagine. I subscribe to Scott Devine's online tutorials in the hope that I will achieve some semblance of competence..... My mental attitude is I sing and play bass, that's got to be good, yeah? Ah, but I hear you say Sh1te at both....could well be I have been delusional all these years. ;)

Just a thought, but define professional.

I once heard a certain well known muso interviewed on the radio, when asked when he turned pro he made the same comment.
Theres the pro that does it for a living obviously, theres the pro with other means of support, for example, wealthy parents or wife who support him till he grows out of it / also has a small music shop somewhere / makes half his living off ebay etc. And theres the starving pro who doesn’t make enough to live on and is also on the dole registered as an unemployed tomato picker or something similar.

I see nobody has clicked the used to be a professional box, pity you cant click on more than one, think you’ll find there might be a few who have now got ‘real jobs’ or just got too old, but still play cos they enjoy it,

The learn by ear, noodling around approach, which is what, in my experience, the majority of players my age (47) did.
You never developed a disciplined practice regime, as there was nowhere to get the lessons from (no internet, no "Guitar Techniques" type magazines). If I was starting to play now I would probably be as good in a couple of years as I am now after 33 years of playing.
[/quote]

Good reply. I did indeed grow up learning to play in the 70s. But IMHO, older bass players are generally less likely to 'overplay' and are happy to be team players. At least judging by some of the playing on YouTube, which I admit is very probably not representative of the majority of the UK's bass-playing youth! ...I hope. :wacko:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1330862456' post='1563847']
Just a thought, but define professional.

I once heard a certain well known muso interviewed on the radio, when asked when he turned pro he made the same comment.
Theres the pro that does it for a living obviously, theres the pro with other means of support, for example, wealthy parents or wife who support him till he grows out of it / also has a small music shop somewhere / makes half his living off ebay etc. And theres the starving pro who doesn’t make enough to live on and is also on the dole registered as an unemployed tomato picker or something similar.

I see nobody has clicked the used to be a professional box, pity you cant click on more than one, think you’ll find there might be a few who have now got ‘real jobs’ or just got too old, but still play cos they enjoy it,
[/quote]

Surely if something is your profession, it means that you earn most of your income from doing it? I would say a professional bassist is one who earns the majority of their income from playing bass. Doesn't matter whether you're rich, poor, a virtuoso or crap, as long as playing is your main source of income.

Likewise, I would define a semi-professional bassist as someone who earns approximately 50% of their income from playing.

You could be the best bass player in the world, but if you earn your living from a 9-5 office job you're not a professional bass player.

I'm old and I know even older self taught bassists who also started in the 60s/70s and they were brilliant then despite the lack of lessons/youtube etc.
They practised to records for hours on end until they sounded like Jaco/Familyman/Jamerson or whoever.
They are still great players and always will be, while I'm not because I'm lazy and always have been.
Being a great player has nothing to do with age or access to lessons - it's simply hours and hours of dedicated practise.

Sometimes I wish I was a better player, but as long as I got the groove to make you move, I'm happy.

Edited by redstriper

You had two options:

[/quote]

Spot on.
There were chord books, very often wrong though. or you could watch bands in pubs and try and work put what the Bass player was doing. working it out for yourself was really the only way, much worse if you were a crap guitarist, at least if you could play a bit you were in with a chance.

I have no real technique, but after 35 years I'm still learning to muddle through. :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1330863599' post='1563872']
Being a great player has nothing to do with age or access to lessons - it's simply hours and hours of dedicated practise.
[/quote]

It's interesting that for my covers band, I learn everything by ear - and quickly, which apparently seems like witchcraft to our horn section, who are all at sea unless they've got the dots in front of them. Completely different mindset.

i think the most interesting point is what constitutes for a "lot" when discussing practising (noodling does not count).

For a professional or semi pro; IMO 5-8 hours a day is a lot, 3-4 hours is a good effort, 2-3 is ok and less than 2 is pretty crap.

If all you do is learn songs then i guess your practice times is just how long it takes?

I play for pleasure at home with an occasional get together with mates of similar age & ilk. Went through many bands - many years ago :rolleyes:

Self taught since about '64, always picked up tunes by ear, Kaz is still amazed when I hear a song on the radio, grab a bass & start playing along, then when it stops I'll usually carry on with a bit of extra freestyle thrown in!

It's not just me is it? :D

Cheerz, John

Learning a new tune, as opposed re-learning an old tune, is better than a practise IMO, although I concur practise is essential and I do get an uplifted sense of self worth whenever I do set the gear up and have a blast. Misguided self worth maybe...

Er, transitional period for me. I don't normally practise much these days anyway (4-6 hrs a day in the early years, now would normally be half an hour a week at best!), but currently can't due to nerve & joint related issues. On the other hand I'm dipping my feet back into playing live (thankfully only 3 or 4 songs at a go as that's all I can manage physically). Unfortunately the former is rather affecting the latter which isn't helping my stagefright, which has come back with a vengeance. It's all joy. :lol:

Edited by 4000

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1330864896' post='1563908']
I play for pleasure at home with an occasional get together with mates of similar age & ilk. Went through many bands - many years ago :rolleyes:

Self taught since about '64, always picked up tunes by ear, Kaz is still amazed when I hear a song on the radio, grab a bass & start playing along, then when it stops I'll usually carry on with a bit of extra freestyle thrown in!

It's not just me is it? :D

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

No John, it's not just you - sounds like me as well. :D

Playing in one and a half bands at the moment, just noodle around at home playing along with records, occassional jam and recording session with the locals.

Groove, space and fun is what it's about, I fink.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1330863599' post='1563872']

I got the groove to make you move, I'm happy.
[/quote]

Natural ability, or feel has a lot to do with it, or had when I started. You had nobody to teach you, except mybe a guitarist, who had probably taught himself anyway.

Some people took to Bass, for whatever reason, and some didnt. Its a bit like the difference between hearing a guitarist play a walking bass line, and hearing a self taught blues Bass player do it. Same notes, samr time, differnt result.

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330863351' post='1563870']
Surely if something is your profession, it means that you earn most of your income from doing it? I would say a professional bassist is one who earns the majority of their income from playing bass. Doesn't matter whether you're rich, poor, a virtuoso or crap, as long as playing is your main source of income.

Likewise, I would define a semi-professional bassist as someone who earns approximately 50% of their income from playing.

You could be the best bass player in the world, but if you earn your living from a 9-5 office job you're not a professional bass player.
[/quote]

In that case, I have been both a hard up pro quite a lot when I was younger, . lol

I spose what I was really getting at was, is an otherwise unemployed young kid gigging 3 or 4 nights a week in pubs for peanuts, but still on the dole and living at home with his parents really a Pro or not ?

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1330866842' post='1563953']

In that case, I have been both a hard up pro quite a lot when I was younger, . lol

I spose what I was really getting at was, is an otherwise unemployed young kid gigging 3 or 4 nights a week in pubs for peanuts, but still on the dole and living at home with his parents really a Pro or not ?
[/quote]

I guess that because he's not actually "earning" hos dole money, you could say that he's a pro. Most of the professional musicians I've ever known have been pretty hard up! :D

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1330864369' post='1563898']
If all you do is learn songs then i guess your practice times is just how long it takes?
[/quote]

Partly. But I like to get into it more than is probably necessary, or more exactly, more than the rest of the band think is necessary! Another point is, when learning someone else's bass line, you may find yourself playing note combinations and phrases you would never play if left to your own devices... which is very interesting, and an education in itself.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1330866389' post='1563942']
Natural ability, or feel has a lot to do with it, or had when I started. You had nobody to teach you, except mybe a guitarist, who had probably taught himself anyway.

Some people took to Bass, for whatever reason, and some didnt. Its a bit like the difference between hearing a guitarist play a walking bass line, and hearing a self taught blues Bass player do it. Same notes, samr time, differnt result.
[/quote]

I don't believe in natural ability - nobody is born able to play bass.
It's like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get - simple as that.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1330854223' post='1563674']
I can't answer this question. There isn't a category for "I'm just in it for the chicks!"
[/quote]

:D But quality chicks don't fall for that. They only find real talent sexy :P

So you probably have to make do with slappers (of the non-musical variety) :lol:

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1330867554' post='1563978']
It's like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get - simple as that.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with this. Anyone familiar with the '10,000 Hours' rule?
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)[/url]