Why become a member? ×

Bought a Big Muff

waynepunkdude

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1330385301' post='1556775']
Have you used it with the band/live yet? I loved mine for jamming until I needed to be heard in a mix....
[/quote]

Not yet I only need it for this in my covers band

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TNSd-fupw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TNSd-fupw[/url]

The bass boost should help, will report back

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1330385588' post='1556782']
It's this one

[/quote]

Yeah thats the one I had. Sounds wicked. Maybe my amp/bass etc though too. Let us know how you get on in the band. Reuben! I supported them on main stage at Nottingham Rock City some years back. They were pretty awesome that night, but I was preoccupied with the fact I was playing on the same stage I'd seen all the bands I'd idolised playing on. Cool stuff.

Make it even more superber if you have a soldering iron: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/112212-bass-big-muff-volume-and-feedback-mods"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/112212-bass-big-muff-volume-and-feedback-mods[/url]

Volume mod to make the dry mode usable without a huge volume boost, and feedback mod to make it sound even angrier.

I had a standard Big Muff Pi on my board for a while, I actually got pretty good results with it, but I was using extreme settings that retained the bottom end.
I eventually swapped it out for my CoPilot Orbit, which beats it in everyway.

But the Big Muff is classic :)

Si

i had an american big muff, then the bass muff. loved the USA muff in the bedroom, but rubbish in band setting. the bass muff was a little bit better, but i didn't like the tone as much. then got a wren and cuff tri pie 70, which sounded better than both, but still got somewhat lost in a band.

then sold them all and got a fuzzrocious grey stache - the mid control makes it a badass, it just cuts through really nicely. plus it has a footswitch for a gate mode, and different diode clipping, so it covers all the muff-related needs I have (well, most of them) ;)

Big Muff rules.... until you get it in with the band. I now use a home-made NYC Big Muff with a clean blend on it and it sounds immense. Soon as you blend some clean in it comes back to life. I had the Bass Big Muff and while it did sound good (I used it in "Dry" mode pretty much exclusively), the volume increase is such that it's largely unusable except as an 'always on' type of pedal. The only reason I didn't do the clean volume mod to the BBM is because it was easier to just build my own! Clean blend on any dirt just sounds better to my ears...

I like the BBM on dry mode. It does have a volume control, I just have mine set very low. I use all sorts of blending and dirt pedals but this is one I would never bother blending. How strange everyone else seems to have struggled with the dry mode!?!

If you've got a Russian (or NYC Muff for that matter) it's relatively easy to add a blend pot. It's not true bypass, as you need a buffer to do this without horrific squealing noises, but it does make this particular box useful for more modern dirty sounds.

I find the the BBM sits quite nicely with my band, especially in dry mode. When my guitarist goes to eleven his fuzz choice is a rat anyway, so there's not too much of an issue of the mid scoop making me lost. If you find that it does however, you could always run it in a loop with an EQ pedal to bring back some of those precious mids. I know that's what the bassist from And So I Watch You From Afar does and his parts sound very meaty when he kicks his BBM on, even fighting against two very distorted guitars.