Why become a member? ×

First Gig

pqs

Hi
I normally lurk on here most days and just read all the posts, but I'm quite excited to say that at the age of 56 I am doing my first ever gig!!
It's only 5 songs amongst 5 other bands. But I am really excited about it :D So only problem now is how to calm my nerves I'll be hyper all day1
Regards
Peter

Thanks, it's a punk covers band who have been going about 4 years n fact I have paid to see them in the past. They haven't played together in about a year and we have only had 3 rehearsals but as it's for a school for special needs children we have decided to do it. Not doing this under the old band name just going on 3rd on a 5 band bill. Set List: Blitzkreig Bop, New Rose, Babylons Burning,Pretty Vacant and Kids are United. Should be fun and the main reason to do it is I get to break my duck :lol:
RegardsPeter

Good Luck, I started playing bass from scratch at 55 and was playing in public within months. I'm now in two gigging bands. The only thing you can do to keep the nerves under control is practice,boring but it helps. Once you get to the end of the first song you'll find it easier. Make sure you enjoy it, it is over so quickly.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1330382833' post='1556721']
Good Luck, I started playing bass from scratch at 55 and was playing in public within months. I'm now in two gigging bands. The only thing you can do to keep the nerves under control is practice,boring but it helps. Once you get to the end of the first song you'll find it easier. Make sure you enjoy it, it is over so quickly.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more If you've learned the material and are well rehearsed with the band you can't go wrong.
If not go for it anyway and have fun !

[quote name='pqs' timestamp='1330381205' post='1556681']
Thanks, it's a punk covers band who have been going about 4 years n fact I have paid to see them in the past. They haven't played together in about a year and we have only had 3 rehearsals but as it's for a school for special needs children we have decided to do it. Not doing this under the old band name just going on 3rd on a 5 band bill. Set List: Blitzkreig Bop, New Rose, Babylons Burning,Pretty Vacant and Kids are United. Should be fun and the main reason to do it is I get to break my duck :lol:
RegardsPeter
[/quote]

Nice one Peter, my covers band, The Daves do all that material, and playing those songs is such fun. Hope all goes well. Enjoy.

The nerves are a good thing, and really no matter who you are, I think we all have a certain degree of nerves before going onstage.

They will disappear as you are going through the set, and, by the time you reach the end of your 5 songs, you'll be dying to go back to the beginning and do it all over again.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1330394161' post='1556867']
once the drummer counts you in it's like an out of body experience for a few seconds where you're just watching yourself play.
[/quote]

heh, yeah, that's quite a good way of describing it! Just watch out for the bit where you land 'back in the room' and realise that yes, you are doing it and yes, it is going ok... that's usually when you balls it up ;) On that subject, don't mentally kick yourself for any mistakes - chances are it's going to happen so just recover it as quickly as you can, smile and go on. The temptation is to either start thinking over the mistake (especially if you've fluffed a tricky bit that happens again later in the song) or just start over-thinking in general, both of which will pretty much guarantee another mistake!

Good luck!

I gigged (on guitar) about 15 years ago and loved every minute of it. Started playing bass a few months ago and really looking forward to getting on stage again in the near future.

As for nerves the only time I ever felt it was when I looked into the crowd saw John Squire standing there ! (looking at our drummer to play in the Seahorses)

This is great news and an inspiration to another middle aged beginner! I've been playing for a year and have done 3 gigs now in a duo with a friend, but I am really hoping to be able to join a band one day.

Try not to get too nervous! I'm a complete bag of nerves when playing. But I hope it doesn't show too much.
When is your gig?

+1 on the nerves, I get more worried if I'm not nervous personally, nerves means you've got your "game head" on

Hope you enjoy, even if it's not during the first couple of songs but certainly by song #3 when you'll be warmed up nicely

Break a leg, knock 'em dead!

I'm glad to know I'm in good company with the nerves. I worry and fret right up to the moment of hitting the stage... and then thoroughly love the whole thing and come off stage cursing myself for being such an idiot, on such a high and wishing I was going back on.

And then we book the next gig and I'm back to worrying... :)

I'm unsure what to recommend on the day. Don't over-practice; don't drink too much; just keep chatting with your mates and staying cool.

Thanks for your good wishes. It's on the 10th of March which is a Saturday so I will have all day to prepare/cack myself! Due to the short notice we are not going to be able to practice until the day but we are hoping to run through the set twice before the gig in the afternoon. Although I am hoping to meet up with one of the guitarist (other one is missing it due to holiday) to run through them before hand.
I must say all the others in the band have been very kind and understanding although they have all performed loads of gigs. Background about the band they were a punk covers band bases in Staines who have done loads of gigs over the last 4 years, they sort of ground to a stop last year after one of the guitarists joined another band. The drummer and bass player already performed in other bands leaving the two front men. I had been jamming with some guys but everyone wanted something different so that stopped. As I knew the two front men after having a check in a pub myself and guitarist said we would have a go along with a former Tubeway Army drummer whose son was giving me bass lessons.
So after two rehearsals we are doing a gig on the 10th of March in Feltham to raise funds for a school which helps children with special needs. Sorry for being so long :)

[quote name='pqs' timestamp='1330502163' post='1558311']
Thanks for your good wishes. It's on the 10th of March which is a Saturday so I will have all day to prepare/cack myself! Due to the short notice we are not going to be able to practice until the day but we are hoping to run through the set twice before the gig in the afternoon. Although I am hoping to meet up with one of the guitarist (other one is missing it due to holiday) to run through them before hand.
I must say all the others in the band have been very kind and understanding although they have all performed loads of gigs. Background about the band they were a punk covers band bases in Staines who have done loads of gigs over the last 4 years, they sort of ground to a stop last year after one of the guitarists joined another band. The drummer and bass player already performed in other bands leaving the two front men. I had been jamming with some guys but everyone wanted something different so that stopped. As I knew the two front men after having a check in a pub myself and guitarist said we would have a go along with a former Tubeway Army drummer whose son was giving me bass lessons.
So after two rehearsals we are doing a gig on the 10th of March in Feltham to raise funds for a school which helps children with special needs. Sorry for being so long :)
[/quote]

I don't think that's too long. All interesting stuff. I spent my formative years in Staines! :)

Best of luck with it all. Look forward to hearing how it goes.