Why become a member? ×

What does one wear?

Marvin

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1330422568' post='1557030']
I have played in many a metal band over the years, you'll be fine in Black marv. Just add big white trainers and lots of studs (oh wait, the 80s is over?)

Recently I've been in an 80s tribute, so shiny suits with rolled up sleeves has been the thing.
Looking forward to not having to dress up soon...
[/quote]

STUDS!? I don't think I've ever owned an item with studs on :) Minus the studs, that's what I usually wear, I must be stuck in the 80's :) I did wear a white shirt once though...oh and a I did do a gig wearing my second best suit. It was a private function and very enjoyable it was as well.

My main covers band 'The Man from Funkle' started off as exclusively 70's funk/disco ... but has thankfully evolved into a more rounded eclectic 'pop-funk-rock-soul' outfit...
With an array of stage looks that on reflection, can be a bit scary!... Here's two... the beginning & quite recent...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330423914' post='1557055']
STUDS!? I don't think I've ever owned an item with studs on :) Minus the studs, that's what I usually wear, I must be stuck in the 80's :) I did wear a white shirt once though...oh and a I did do a gig wearing my second best suit. It was a private function and very enjoyable it was as well.
[/quote]

Nowadays Metal is a pretty wide church so you can probably get away with what you already wear - unless the band are going down the Judas Priest or KISS route :P

I tend to wear just t shirt and jeans, luckily the rest of my metal band do a similar thing so we look like a unit on stage, but we don't really stand out from the crowd otherwise.. No backdrop either (Couldn't convince them it was a good idea, they went for flyers instead o.0), so there's little in terms of image for that band..

We always dressed up a tiny bit for gigs but nothing matching really.
A fairly famous friend who changed his band from a peripheral act to a top 20 band back in the day by working on their image (amongst other things) told us it was time to look like a band instead of 3 individuals if we wanted to be taken seriously.
Last Thursdays gig saw our (thankfullylow budget) look thrust on the public.
You know what? We felt like a 'band' and had seperation from the audience in a good way. We played by far our best gig so far and the clobber definitely contributed to that.
Only some very poor quality pics at this one. Our proper photographer will be snapping at our gig on 10th March so I'll post some up then.
I'm really pleased we all bought in and agreed to this.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330425103' post='1557076']
Why don't you wear your first best suit? Er, I mean your best suit?
[/quote]

Um...the second best suit actually looked better for the gig...sort of. I wore a black shirt (no tie) and a very old pair of DM's. Sort of old and dusty smart? I've lost you haven't I? :)
[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1330425220' post='1557081']
Nowadays Metal is a pretty wide church so you can probably get away with what you already wear - unless the band are going down the Judas Priest or KISS route :P
[/quote]

The band I'm depping for are a right old mixed bunch. The guitarist goes for a traditional metal look. The drummer, whatever he found on the floor I think. Keys (yes they've got keys :unsure: ) same as the drummer, I think he only owns 2 t-shirts actually. Singer, it varies.

I did actually jokingly say I'd wear a suit :)

In general I try to not look like someone has stepped out of the audience and picked up a random instrument. It's not a snobby thing, it's just I feel better having made a bit of an effort to look like I meant to get up there. Generally a shirt and tie, with a fondness for waistcoats.

Having said that, last gig was a polo shirt with lots of vaguely automotive patches on it (think someone going to a fancy dress party as a motor mechanic and overthinking it a little) and black jeans. I thought I'd tone it down a bit for the local rock dive bar ;)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330426760' post='1557127']
...I wore a black shirt (no tie) and a very old pair of DM's...
[/quote]

No tie?? Get out!!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330426760' post='1557127']
...Sort of old and dusty smart? I've lost you haven't I?...
[/quote]

Shabby chic?? Get out!!

:D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1330428799' post='1557198']
In general I try to not look like someone has stepped out of the audience and picked up a random instrument. It's not a snobby thing, it's just I feel better having made a bit of an effort to look like I meant to get up there. Generally a shirt and tie, with a fondness for waistcoats.

Having said that, last gig was a polo shirt with lots of vaguely automotive patches on it (think someone going to a fancy dress party as a motor mechanic and overthinking it a little) and black jeans. I thought I'd tone it down a bit for the local rock dive bar ;)
[/quote]

Was that photo at a Panda eyes gig? Also Lemon Tree?

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1330421470' post='1557001']
Both my bands have a certain onstage image. The Lemons go for a scruffy jazz look wheras the Skimmitys, being a scrumpy'n'western band have our take on the Wurzels look.

I used to be dead against dressing up fior the stage, but now I quite like putting on the band persona - sort of 'time to get down to business'. It also helps to have a band that looks like a band and stands out from the rest of the audience.
[/quote]

Whats scruffy Jazz? Got any pictures?