Why become a member? ×

Pub Gigs - lack of space!

LemonCello

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330274042' post='1554986']
There's a dressing room?
[/quote]

As far as I remember... at least there was some sort of area off stage and away from the main room... I was pretty much out of it, and it was fifteen years ago, so... maybe I dreamt the whole thing! :lol:

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1330258916' post='1554669']
Went to a pub not far from me to see a band last night. Very good they were too. I went to check out the venue more than anything else as we'll be out gigging soon. Don't know whether this is typical but they were 'shoe horned' in one corner, must have been no bigger than 10' by 10'. The guitarist literally had to move to avoid crashing into peeps as they got up to dance. At one point I noticed the bass player 'twang' his nice Stingray against the wall which quite understandably made him wince!

[/quote]

What pub was that?

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1330258916' post='1554669']
Anyone else played on a postage stamp?
[/quote]Nearly always :( The honourable exception being General Henry's in Littlehampton (a bit far for you probably :lol: ) that is turning into a nice gig with a decent stage (including drum riser) with house PA & lights.

Edit: Oh yes and a dressing room (of sorts) - well its a room you can change in that isn't the toilets or pub kitchen, and from which you can walk straight onstage

Edited by WalMan

Yes. It was so cramped that the drummer hit the power socket with his elbow and switched my amp off.

During the break I told him I was going outside to find some dogshit to put on the switch to help him remember not to do it again.

He didn't switch me off in the second set.............. :)

Frank.

It's worse for a double bass player. I remember one December gig on a stage that at the best of times was cramped; when we turned up they had a bloody Christmas tree on stage, all lit up. And we were a seven piece. At another place an old dear would come in mid week a play her grand piano for the old folk. Trouble is it was right in the middle of the stage and a whole lot of jobsworths told us we couldn't move it. So we played on the floor.

Stables at Wavendon, that's the very best place to be.

When the Queens Head in Aylesbury was music venue, I played there several times.

The stage was not a bad size. The pool table and various benches etc took most of it however :(

Oh and the two huge pillars!..... and the ceiling was very low :)

I put the headstock of my Les Paul (guitar) into it and broke a chunk off.

I bought a cheap copy to play there on future gigs!

It doesn't seem to matter what size stage we play on. Once the singer has her 2 saxes and flute out and the guitarists pedal board (we call mission control) is placed strategically i always end up with about 2ft square :unsure: . I don't ever use effects but am considering getting a pedal board just so i can claim a bit of stage real estate.

The smallest stage we have played as a 4 piece was in a pub that used to be a shop. The stage was in what used to be the shop display window. It was about 8ft square. Played with the bass pointing up at the ceiling most of the night.

I have played some tiny places as a 4 piece, sometimes a nightmare trying to stop feedback with so much gear in such a small area, we are now a 3 piece which is much easier with one less guitarist`s gear, we had the lead guitarist on drummers left and myself and rhythm guitar on other side, I kept whacking him with my headstock !

I think the smallest venue I ever played in has to be the Severn Stars in Kidderminster. It's a small place anyway and they cram the bands into a tiny bay window area at the back. The first time we played their, one of the other bands on the tour was a slightly avant-garde instrumental thrash metal band - at one point in a particular song they would all stop playing and freeze for a bit before carrying on. At this particular venue, the drummer (by now slightly inebriated) saw this break as an opportunity to hurl himself out of the window. Cue several slightly worried looks and much nervous laughter. A minute later he ran in through the main entrance, fought through the crowd and straight back to his kit.

-extract from 'Classic Tour Stories from Unknown Bands'.

In general, being 6ft 3, I find I need to exercise caution with most venues, the headstock of my bass will show you why.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1330364762' post='1556289']
Some people above saying headless bass is the answer. I was thinking short scale would be better, any opinions on that?
[/quote]

I have both and the headless (Hohner paddle) is better (IMHO) as it doesn't have any overhang.

The short scale (Violin Bass) is quite tiny but still has the headstock ready to get bashed!

Used to do a bar residency where the drummer often hit my headstock and neck with his right hand stick.If I moved away from him my right elbow was banging into the upper keyboard.
Move forward got me and my pedal trodden on by the singer and various pissheads.
This sat was The Bluebell Warrington.
Lowered ceiling that you could touch and remove the downlights from (yes we did).
Every time I changed or put on my bass,thump in the roof.
Cheapo bitsa jazz next time.
Depressing thing is, nobody will even notice.

Oh, and I've played the 12 Bar before too - standing in front of the drums I just about had enough room to get my heels on the stage. If I leant forward I'd have fallen into the crowd. Poking through the 1st floor at shoulder height was bizarre!??!

The numerous dinks in my headstocks will illustrate that my 7-piece (sometimes 9-piece) band is way too big to fit into most small venues in S.Wales! I am in the process pulling together another band and if all the musicians and singers we want come onboard it will be a 11-piece outfit! I must be nuts!

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1330385893' post='1556791']
+1 for the 12 Bar. A stage so small, that it actually makes sense to use a wireless rig.... so that you can stand up in the balcony!
[/quote]

You don't need a wireless rig to reach the balcony - a good leap with a 20' lead is sufficient.

[quote name='peted' timestamp='1330402926' post='1556884']
Oh, and I've played the 12 Bar before too - standing in front of the drums I just about had enough room to get my heels on the stage. If I leant forward I'd have fallen into the crowd. Poking through the 1st floor at shoulder height was bizarre!??!
[/quote]

You had room to stand in front of the drums? Even if there had been enough space when we last played there, the house kit moved around so much that I'd have been bumped off-stage with the first bass drum beat.

BTW we're playing there again on March 9th for anyone who wants to catch some swinging from beams mayhem!