Why become a member? ×

Transferable skills from being in a band?

MacDaddy

The workplace seems to be all about transferable skills so has the experience of being in a band had a positive effect on your day job?

For example, having done a few gigs, is standing in front of a room full of people and giving a presentation at work easier or less daunting? Or having arranged band set lists/rehearsals/gigs etc are your organisational skill at work improved?

etc?

Not from music but I start a new job on Monday having had to give up my gardening business due to ill health and it was transferable skills from being a school Governor and helping to run a rugby club that got me the job. Having said that, this employer was the first one to look at the skills rather than the direct previous experience.

The standing in front of a room full of strangers and being able to perform/deliver a speech, is definitely one.

The ones I have found most transferrable have been to do with organisation & logistics of gigs and applying that to off-shore engineering operations. Things like: Having packing & equipment lists, Spares for everything, Arranging transportation, Dealing with venues/suppliers/random people & idiots. Having done a fair amount of roadying and stage management, the knowledge I picked up of stage electrics comes in useful too.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1330081761' post='1552355']
My skills go the other way - I deal with opinionated, puffed-up, childish w*nkers on a daily basis at work, which has been very helpful when managing people in bands.
[/quote]

This.

[i][b]Absolutely [/b][/i]this.

Luckily enough, those people are now gone from my musical life. In some cases they've walked (eventually); in others, I've walked.

Absolutely.

I'm can talk confidently and eloquently to large audiences, I have no issues being a 'team player' and, even though I fall into the 'analytical' (aka unimaginative) personality group, I have a reputation for thinking 'outside of the box' when it comes to problem solving.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330093460' post='1552620']
Absolutely.

I'm can talk confidently and eloquently to large audiences, I have no issues being a 'team player' and, even though I fall into the 'analytical' (aka unimaginative) personality group, I have a reputation for[b] thinking 'outside of the box' [/b]when it comes to problem solving.
[/quote]

AAAAHHHHH he used business-speak. Must count to ten, must count to ten :lol:

Teamwork. The engineering director of a software house said he'd hired me because (i) being a lead guitarist I had the discipline to hone my skills to a high level of competence (ii) being in a band meant I could do teamwork and cooperate. I think he also liked the blues/rock we were playing ;)

Plus, being able to count to up to 12 ...

Absolutely! Self motivation, organisational skills, cash handling, speaking to groups of people, working with others (this CV claim is easily backed up in this case!). If you're a song writer you think of everything as a whole; what will this sound like in a band environment? How will this work with that etc. When ever I have applied for jobs I use this a lot.

Dan

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1330094167' post='1552639']
[/quote]

I know. :)
I did actually sit here for quite a while trying to find an alternative to that phrase but it sounded so fake and contrived that it would be obvious I was trying to avoid saying it, which is even worse! :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330095716' post='1552685']
I know. :)
I did actually sit here for quite a while trying to find an alternative to that phrase but it sounded so fake and contrived that it would be obvious I was trying to avoid saying it, which is even worse! :lol:
[/quote]

HAHA ok I let you off but use it again and I'll send Katie Price round to talk about herself to you for 4 hours :)

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1330094472' post='1552647']
Teamwork. The engineering director of a software house said he'd hired me because (i) being a lead guitarist I had the discipline to hone my skills to a high level of competence (ii) being in a band meant I could do teamwork and cooperate. I think he also liked the blues/rock we were playing ;)

Plus, being able to count to up to 12 ...
[/quote]

Also that (i) and (ii) cancel each other out ;)
(also a lead guitarist myself, if we can't laugh at ourselves eh?)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1330094167' post='1552639']
[/quote]

We could have one more, if you like - what about learning the importance of synergy in operation and execution?

Does being in a band not provide you with a perfect example of such? :lol: