Why become a member? ×

Aged or not??

GregHughes

Do what makes you happy , it's going to be your instrument hopefully for a long time , mayby all your life if you love it enough! I have gone through similar feelings myself latlely and decided to add a few bits to my fretless jazz like ashtray and tug bar to give it more of a vintage vibe , I did buy this second hand so it already has a few knocks and I don't mind I'd it gets a few more along the way , I sometimes leave it where the sun shines on it too so that should help the colour turn more cream like ,

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1330160097' post='1553425']
Is that not the one that was made from an old school desk?
So it hasn't [i]really[/i] been deliberately damaged...
[/quote]

The finish is called 'damaged desk', but I assumed that this was a finish that Ritter do in-house to simulate the effect. They offer it as an option on custom basses (at a hefty EUR700 odd)
I've seen ones where naughts and crosses have been scored into the wood, or the impression from a screw being hammered/pressed in sideways.

Session Music in Frankfurt. Price seems pretty good and to be honest they are one of the only one's who have bothered to come to back to me.

Think I've finalised on TT 4 string, Roquefort blue (adler body, lightest bit available) with maple neck (pearl block inlays). 12 - 14 week lead time so I'll post pictures when it arrives..... if it ever does....

As the owner of a couple of bravewoods and a nash I have no problem with a good relic. However, relicing only makes sense on a guitar that would bear those sort of scars i.e. an old fender. Anything modern should be nice and minty in my book...

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330086599' post='1552445']
You wouldn't go and buy a brand new car from the showroom with rust, scratches and dents! :D
[/quote]

Actually, I might if the price was right, you should see the state of my 3 year old ex repmobile Vectra.

Wouldnt pay MORE for somebody to do it though.

I have a P bitsa that the previous owner has tried to relic the body with sandpaper etc, and it just dont look right. But I play it, not look at it so I'm not really that bothered.

Edited by BRANCINI

At the end of the day I guess damage on any guitar is likely to devalue it when you come to sell it. Even on vintage fenders. Mint condition are worth more than road worn as far I can tell.

I'm so glad I posted this one as helped me make my mind up and I'm sure now that un aged is the way to go.

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1330196578' post='1554109']
I've decided to go for un aged and let it age by itself as I'm pretty sure I will be keeping this one for quite some time.
[/quote]
Good decision IMO - I just picked up a Steed Precision relic and whilst it's a beatifully built bass with extremely clever light relic work on a lovely nitro finish, I can't help thinking that a NOS finish would look nicer (I'm seriously considering a re-fin!)

I must admit that my vintage fender has a really unique, soft worn feel which I really like and its my favourite bass at the moment but that feel only comes from years of playing, not from a hammer and sandblock.

I think you can make a guitar look old and some what feel used but it won't be the same. Interestingly at Sandberg, they have a Masterpiece range which is the most worn/vintage style they do (and the most expensive) and they subject the bass to over 100 hours of bass frequency which is mean't to soften up the wood.

Think I'll just get the new one and start playing it as much as possible. Hopefully in 30 years it will still look like new but have that great vintage feel, if I haven't sold it in the meantime!

My seven year daughter has already called dibbs on my stringray for when she is a bit bigger!

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1330210927' post='1554268']
Session Music in Frankfurt. Price seems pretty good and to be honest they are one of the only one's who have bothered to come to back to me.

Think I've finalised on TT 4 string, Roquefort blue (adler body, lightest bit available) with maple neck (pearl block inlays). 12 - 14 week lead time so I'll post pictures when it arrives..... if it ever does....
[/quote]

A good choice I think sir! White pickguard and pickup covers? It's gonna feel like a very, very long few months!

I'm sure I've read that the Sandberg 'hardcore masterpieces' or whatever they are called get some kind of vibration/acoustic treatment that the non-aged and less-aged basses do not.

Normally I take these things as marketing mumbo-jumbo but when I was trying out a few Sandbergs I did notice that the said 'hardcore masterpiece' had a lot more acoustic resonance which in my opinion translated to a much nicer tone than the other Sandbergs I tried. I was very tempted at getting it, but I didn't, as I don't like false-aged finishes. I prefer to 'age' the basses myself.

• 1 year later...

don't really like fake relics either, but I'll admit at least yours looks like it was done through age. Most look reliced. And I hate it in a shop where 3 'old' basses have the exact same wear pattern. My Fender is 10, and as well as the battle scars there's a slight rub through to the wood where my forearm sits. Love it.

Hardcore aged just look awesome! Get one bought. My PM4 will be aged but only when I have had it for 15years. Gonna let it happen naturally. Good thing about the aged sandbergs is that they 'age' the wood as well to make them sound older. Attention to detail!!!

New or aged they are great.

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1330079725' post='1552302']
..... but they do look cool and I don't have time to age one myself.
[/quote]

Like you need it aged by when, precisely...?

Just wear it out, GregHughes, if it dosn't 'roadwear' so it dosn't roadwear.

I don't get it meself.... My best Jazz I've played more or less every gig for that last thirty years, I've never mollycoddled it, never cleaned it, it's had a load of rough treatment....

.... and it still isn't as messed-up as those silly looking roadworn things. I wear belts and sometimes zip-cuffed leather jackets but there isn't any 'belt rash' or that silly looking forearm-worn top bout. Whoever wore out a finish with their forearm? What are you blokes made of? Sand paper?

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1364263989' post='2024142']
Like you need it aged by when, precisely...?

Just wear it out, GregHughes, if it dosn't 'roadwear' so it dosn't roadwear.

I don't get it meself.... My best Jazz I've played more or less every gig for that last thirty years, I've never mollycoddled it, never cleaned it, it's had a load of rough treatment....

.... and it still isn't as messed-up as those silly looking roadworn things. I wear belts and sometimes zip-cuffed leather jackets but there isn't any 'belt rash' or that silly looking forearm-worn top bout. Whoever wore out a finish with their forearm? What are you blokes made of? Sand paper?

[/quote]

Poly finishes are tough as old boots because they still have some flexibility when they dry, you might take a few chips out of the finish but that's probably about it.

However the older nitro finishes dry out completely and become very brittle, they're also usually very thin so they wear relatively easily. Fender deliberately use an extra thin nitro finish on their Highway One instruments so that they will look tatty and worn within a few years of heavy use.

I've got wear on the top bout (from my forearm) and lower back edge just below the control cover (from clothing rubbing) of my Ibanez EDB550. She came second hand to me 2.5 years ago but there wasn't really any noticeable wear there back then, although to be fair I only picked up on it recently. She's got a natural finish though, no poly/lacquer either, just oiled I guess. I was horrified when I first found the wear, but I've kind of come to like it, it feels like I've put something of myself into it through the hours of playing.