Why become a member? ×

who is Paul McCartney?

ojplaysbass

just thought i'd bring this to people's attention if they haven't seen it already - i picked it up from Seth Horan's Facebook post

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/who-is-paul-mccartney

( http://web.me.com/sethhoran/Seth_Horan/sethhoran.com.html )

i don't know if i should be angered, amused or baffled by this whole thing :/

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1329154729' post='1538029']
just thought i'd bring this to people's attention if they haven't seen it already - i picked it up from Seth Horan's Facebook post

[url="http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/who-is-paul-mccartney"]http://www.buzzfeed....-paul-mccartney[/url]

( [url="http://web.me.com/sethhoran/Seth_Horan/sethhoran.com.html"]http://web.me.com/se...hhoran.com.html[/url] )

i don't know if i should be angered, amused or baffled by this whole thing :/
[/quote]
It's fairly normal and common I'd say. Anyway who is Seth Horan?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1329155136' post='1538049']
It's fairly normal and common I'd say. Anyway who is Seth Horan?
[/quote]

I'm not so much concerned with whether or not they know who Paul McCartney is because he's a bassist - rather because he's got to be one of the most recognisable faces in the world and, if they don't know who he is, what other massive gaps in people's general knowledge are there?

not everyone's gonna be on mastermind but you've gotta wonder.....

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1329155546' post='1538062']
I'm not so much concerned with whether or not they know who Paul McCartney is because he's a bassist - rather because he's got to be one of the most recognisable faces in the world and, if they don't know who he is, what other massive gaps in people's general knowledge are there?

not everyone's gonna be on mastermind but you've gotta wonder.....
[/quote]
Most people know a very limited range of stuff. It's normal. Anyway who is Seth Horan?

Edited by EssentialTension

Just shows how ignorant people are towards music - Peoples brains just get filled with the sh*t from X factor and Britains got talent and just think the people who 'sing' on the shows are everything and filled with talent. I think it's pretty disgusting that Macca isn't known considering what he has accomplished as a musician. Ok you may not like him but at least know who the f*** he is!

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1329155765' post='1538068']
fair enough then :(

Seth Horan is a singer/songwriter/bassist/nice guy from the states -

[url="http://web.me.com/sethhoran/Seth_Horan/sethhoran.com.html"]http://web.me.com/se...hhoran.com.html[/url]

is his site - i quite like his stuff :)
[/quote]

sorry - i edited this into my above post

also i stand corrected - i seem to have overestimated the fame/international exposure of Macca...

Edited by ojplaysbass

It would be the most awful thing in the world if today's pop youth were queuing up en masse to worship at Macca's feet. For one thing, he hasn't put out a decent record in 20 years and his heyday was nearly 4 decades ago if you can count Wings as his last big thing.

Boring the arse off some kid about the Beatles is just like when my Grandad used to go on about the golden age of Music Hall. "George Robey this... Vesta Tilley that".

Same sort of time span. Daft. (Not the OP, just some of the webverse's more maniacal reactions)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Don't agree about the lack of decent records he has put out...
"Chaos and creation in the backyard" is one of his best albums in years.
If you say you don't like it, you should first listen to it..the collaberation with that Radiohead-producer was the best move he has done in years..
On every Macca-album there is still enough to be enthousiastic about, I admit that not every song is great (not abnormal if you think what has come out of that head during all these years) but Paul has made my life "better" with his music.
I see it as a privilege to enjoy this music and I am so glad that it has been the soundtrack of my life..
No one can take that away..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1329158626' post='1538145']
Don't agree about the lack of decent records he has put out < >No one can take that away..
[/quote]

Well, that's OK, it's a taste thing, I suppose and I'm very glad you still enjoy his work; long may you do so. I don't think anyone's trying to take that away from you, nor, logically, could they.

My real question is this. Why do so many older people seem to think that young people are stupid or culturally deficient because they unaware of Macca? I mean, even these kids' [i]parents[/i] were born after the lovable Mop-Tops called it a day.

I reckon it's the 'Grim Reaper' syndrome. The years wear on. The knees start crackling like a fireworks display and the old ticker judders around a bit. Someone mentions Macca-blindness and it's all "These young people today they ....[i]KAAAAAARRRKKK!!!! THUMP![/i] "

I love the quote from Macca, when his kids went to see Guns N Roses, and all came back enthusing about the band. Macca enquired which was their fave song, and they replied Live & Let Die. He proudly said "hey, I wrote that" to which he received "yeah, right Dad" back.

Shows he doesn`t take himself too seriously, and is capable of seeing a bit of a joke at his own expense.

He`s played on/written some of the most widely appreciated songs ever recorded. That has to say something about his talent, whether you like his material, or not.

It's just a generational thing. And a taste thing. I imagine that there's a fair few people of the same age who [i]do[/i] know who he is. I imagine there's quite a few people who are older than they are who aren't sure who he is.

There may even be a few people who wish they didn't know who he was (and I don't mean his recent ex-wife). Not everyone likes the Beatles you know (and yes, I'm on that list)...

Edited by Jerry_B

Why the surprise about a bunch of kids not knowing someone from their grandfather's generation?

I couldn't tell them the names of half the kids in the charts, which is the same sort of thing isn't it?

I was listening to R4 earlier today and they had Trevor Bayliss talking about inventors. He gave the name (which I've forgotten already) of the man that invented the Workmate. he said that 70 million have been sold and that the inventor (whose name I've already forgotten) should be given a knighthood for his achievement.

He then went on to say that 70 million must be comparable with the population of Europe, which the presenter had to correct him about. Not knowing some facts doesn't make someone stupid, it just makes them someone who doesn't know some facts. hence the old saying 'there's so such thing as a stupid question'. Well, except perhaps 'who is Paul McCartney?' :lol:

Edited by flyfisher

Which reminds me. One day a few years ago, I was rooting around in the freezer looking for some broad beans and discovered a long-forgotten pack of Linda McCartney Vegetarian sausages.

It gave me quite a turn, seeing the frosty, long-dead face of Britain's (formerly) most-famous carnophobe staring back up at me from its icy nest adjacent to the venison steaks.

I mention this because I rather wonder if the vegetarian forums would be abuzz with furious bewilderment if some American tot had innocently enquired "WTF is LIDna MCarntney???? LULZ"

I think not. Vegetarians are quiet, forgiving people, quite unlike your average bassplayer.