Why become a member? ×

POLL! Help me choose an amp?

Evil Undead

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I play in a loud rock band, medium sized bars and clubs.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Current setup is Promethean P500H into a Markbass 210 cab (8ohm)[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bass is sometimes a Warwick Corvette $$, and sometimes a Warwick Corvette Standard which isn't quite so audible. I need to be heard and to hear myself, and have headroom to spare.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]You'll notice that they're all lightweight - this is due to my physical limitations.[/font][/color]

[size=4][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And a Precision Bass! Er... woman! [/font][/color][/size][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][size=4][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :D[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by discreet

I used to have a Markbass CMD 121 P with NY121 ext cab and it was a great mini rig, very loud and strong midrange punch - sounded good in a band mix. The band I was in at the time was a loud covers band doing pubs etc always seemed to cope well, the one down side if indeed this counts as one is that it does look very small on a stage if your guitarists are using half stacks.

I now use a Barefaced Midget and Compact with a Markbass head...but I think a couple of Midgets with a powerfull lightweight head (such as the Promethean) would probably have more usable headroom and bass extension than the 121P/121NY combination and be virtually the same size etc. I couldn't comment on the other gear as I haven't used it but I personally (if lifting heavy or awkward gear is a potential problem) prefer having two lightweight cabs rather than one larger one as its easy to move and get in and out of the house/car etc.

Playing rock, go for the GK MB500 (half the size & weight of a laptop) with the GK410MBE or a GK212 - either the MBE, or the Neo.

The MB500 has sooooo much headroom it`s unbelievable - I can`t use mine on any more than 9 o`clock on volume, with all other eqs set to midday.

For me I found the GB Shuttle 9.0 and a 2 x 12 got lost in my band so I tried the MarkBass gear and have never looked back.

Prior to my back failing I had 2 4x10 TE Cabs and a TE AH500 Head - sounded truly phenomenal IMHO but was sooooooooooooo heavy particularly at the end of a good night!

The MB gear is seriously lightweight in only one aspect. :)