Why become a member? ×

Most godawful tuning you've been asked to play in

Nibody

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335472511' post='1631901']
Oh yeah, probably should mention doing some stuff in the Octobass range. Unplugged.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP1QqtGe8ts[/media]
[/quote]

I defy most peoples' speakers to reproduce that, even if the microphone could have recorded it properly to start with ! What an amazing instrument though. Not sure I've got room for one, either at home, or in the car on the way to a gig ...

Everyone to themselves I guess but I personally love the sound of a really low note. One of my basses goes down to G at the moment, the other 4 string is in drop C and my 5 string is tuned as a normal 5 string but a step down. This is because our band is in B tuning but I like being able to have the step lower down on the bass sometimes for effect. It also means that you're having to play fretted notes pretty much all the time. Takes a bit of getting used to I admit but it feels pretty good being able to play in one or 2 hand positions with no open strings once you have. Imo obvs.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1335539665' post='1632901']
I defy most peoples' speakers to reproduce that, even if the microphone could have recorded it properly to start with ! What an amazing instrument though. Not sure I've got room for one, either at home, or in the car on the way to a gig ...
[/quote]

Can hear it as a sound fine via youtube. Just shows how much the fundamental doesn't matter, it doesn't even come out of the instrument.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1335547051' post='1633055']
E_D G

snapped A string, so spare.
That was some spot.
[/quote]

Done the same. Had to restring detune the D & G down to A and D. [i]Sort of[/i] got away with it.

Never again. In my defence it was a two week / three month old set of flatwounds, the previous set I'd snapped the A. :rolleyes: Always with the A strings on TIs. Didn't cross my mind I'd developed a penchant for it... :huh:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328642456' post='1530607']
I only ever use standard tuning for two reasons:

1) I've played that way for 30+ years and know where the notes are without having to guess or relearn from scratch.
2) Once you go below a low B then all you're really doing is attracting earthworms. :)
[/quote]

This, partly because I've never ever been asked to use any weird tuning and partly because anything I'm likely to play can be done on a five or six string.

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' timestamp='1335556174' post='1633238']
I used to only play in CGCF (used a thin 'low B' tuned up on the bottom). I was lucky both bands I was in used the same tuning, it meant I couldn't tune to standard if I wanted to.
[/quote]
I've never understood this thing about 'tuning the same as the band'. I've played with lots of folk/blues guitarists who use odd or open tunings but I just play EADG.

My old band's guitarists used to tune to drop E flat (?). I ended up doing the same on a four string bass, as the style of the band needed the open string sound of the two E flat strings. Playing in standard just didn't sound right in comparison. Nevertheless, the concept of tuning up and down from standard at the same time confused me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using alternative tunings so long as you set your instrument up to able to play it. Sometimes I feel that some people view anything that isn't in standard tuning doesn't qualify as 'real music'. Playing in a lower than standard tuning doesn't necessarily make you a talentless, 'nu-metal musician', although there are certain bands that reside in that territory. Plenty of awful bands using standard tuning as well!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1335566974' post='1633368']
This, partly because I've never ever been asked to use any weird tuning and partly because anything I'm likely to play can be done on a five or six string.
[/quote]
When I played in bands I was never asked to play in anything other than standard. I don't think I even knew you [i]could [/i]play in alternative tunings for the first 10 years of playing. This caused some trouble when it came to learning stuff from records, especially as it was all metal, I just gave up trying to learn from the record. I had a Guns & Roses Bass Tab book and didn't know they tuned half a step down, so none of it worked when I tried to play along to the songs, very frustrating.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1335652355' post='1634358']
Sometimes I feel that some people view anything that isn't in standard tuning doesn't qualify as 'real music'. Playing in a lower than standard tuning doesn't necessarily make you a talentless, 'nu-metal musician', although there are certain bands that reside in that territory. Plenty of awful bands using standard tuning as well!
[/quote]

Yep, I can happily accept that, provided the converse is also accepted - using drop tuning doesn't automatically make it 'real music' or illustrate talent. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1335654414' post='1634370']
Yep, I can happily accept that, provided the converse is also accepted - using drop tuning doesn't automatically make it 'real music' or illustrate talent. :)
[/quote]

Absolutely.

I don't see a 5 string as a good compromise for down-tuning... not only does down-tuning make it lower, but it also changes the tone of the higher notes completely, not to mention it puts the open strings on different notes. It certainly isn't pointless, is what I'm saying.