Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1328478500' post='1527889']
i couldn't stand 'sex on fire' until the covers band i'm in started doing jt.

now i actually think it's a tidy little bassline that fits the song well, and i enjoy playing it.

[/quote]

Most songs that are wildly popular have some reason for being so and as a musician you can find some merit in them. I try not to waste enery hating songs but rather look for something positive. About the some I've every truly hated playing was "rocking in the free world".

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='guildbass' timestamp='1328620822' post='1530077']
Meh... I was going to say 'Alright Now'
[/quote]

Fantastic bassline, love paying it.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1357905489' post='1930274']
You give love a bad name- Bon Jovi
[/quote]

Used to really enjoy doing that in a band I was in, mind you that was about 8 years ago. I think we did a pretty hot version of it though, had an excellent guitarist and singer originally so it was easy to get drawn along with it. I've played or jammed a worryingly high number on the 'hit list' so far assembled. But as someone pointed out wayyyy back in the thread, if audiences didn't like them they wouldn't stay on band's set lists. My next audition includes a healthy sprinkling of Coldplay and Stereophonics - nerves of steel, me!

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1357909356' post='1930373']
I'm starting to get a little bit bored with Valerie having played it at every gig I've done for the last five years.
[/quote]

Same here. I like the song but we start our last set with Valerie (in to Kung Fu fighting) at every gig. Getting sick of it but it does signal that the night is almost over so i can live with it.

ever looking on the glass as half full but I think that there are few songs on our coverset list I don't enjoy playing.
if the band have energy the room has energy, but as soon as we reach a song the drummer doesn't like everything goes to sh*t because whilst the rest of the band are trying to get through the song and move on to better tracks the fat prick will literally moan before we start and will always try and finish the track early lol

Walk of Life and Walking on Sunshine absolutely do my head in, although weirdly Dakota is one of my favourites- not for the notes I'm playing but because we finish with it so it's the only song where I can justifiably pretend I'm a guitard by playing a mini solo fill behind my head in the last chorus and stuff. :yarr:

Edited by SlapbassSteve

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1357910597' post='1930405']
Walking on Sunshine absolutely do my head in,
[/quote]

Oh god yeah, id forgotten about that. My issue with this song is my drummer is all over the place. Wrong beat, wrong timing, constantly changing the two as he cant keep up with himself, and its a challenge to keep up for me, but not in a good way.

I sing the theme to True Blood - think it's called Bad Things. I'm bored to death with it but keep getting outvoted. I introduce it as 'who wants to hear a song off the telly?' so I've taken to following that up by singing the first bit of the Jim'll Fix it tune in the hope that the rest of the band will drop it on grounds of bad taste. Sadly they're as sick as me so we're still doing it.

Rodders sings a ZZ Top album track too so he can toss himself off with the extended solo. It's pointless but he won't drop it even though Mart and myself are shameless about cocking it up on purpose every night.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1357910768' post='1930409']
'How Long' by Ace was always a lowlight of the set.
[/quote]

There's a guy at the Greyhound jam sessions on Sundays that always does this one. The backing band eventually started using it as an excercise in how many different styles and time signatures/tempos they could get it done in before the end of the song. Singer took it in good spirit though!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1357913968' post='1930504']
There's a guy at the Greyhound jam sessions on Sundays that always does this one. The backing band eventually started using it as an excercise in how many different styles and time signatures/tempos they could get it done in before the end of the song. Singer took it in good spirit though!
[/quote]

Ha - possibly the same chap!
Sounds like the only way to make it tolerable :-)

I have played Play That Funky Music so many times that it has now imprinted its ' chord progression into my mitochondrial DNA . I have dreams about the chromatic walk up from A flat to B flat . And I once had an argument with a Dutchman about the correct way to play Addicted To Love that almost came to blows . And I recently realised he was probably right .

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1357920247' post='1930671']
Eye of the Tiger.
I ' ve never liked it, it's horribly cheesy. The bass line is boring and dificcult at the same time (a bit too fast for me).
Singer sounds like Vic Reeves doing his pub singer impersonation.
[b]We 're only doing it cos drummer likes the cymbal thrashing.[/b]
[/quote]

Suggest 'New Rose' to him.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1357920247' post='1930671']
Eye of the Tiger.
I ' ve never liked it, it's horribly cheesy.
[/quote]

This will probably put you off your tea - I couldn't eat for several days and considered chucking myself off a bridge - but I once heard in a shop on a CD of bagpipe music. It was possibly the most horrific moment of my life. Even the main riff was played on that horrid instrument - in fact I'm off to throw up just thinking about that awful day.