Why become a member? ×

3 finger playing

Bass_man219

something a tad faster?

It's not easy learning a new technique when you have been playing another way from the beginning.

Like everything else....time.

I use the technique in one song, Stereophonics' Dakota. Its a very simple pumping 8 to a bar.

Anything trickier and I have to think harder about using the fingers in sequence.
Having said that I not too interested in the technique. It's impressive, but unless you are performing your own songs requiring that style, or
emulating Billy Sheehan, why?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1328259384' post='1524409']
If you want a less intuitive three-finger style to help finger dexterity, check out the videos by jazz-rock bass player Percy Jones - google Percy Jones and Bass Exploration and you should find it easily on Youtube
[/quote]

I would second what Clarky has said, watching Percy will show you a whole new world of technique , not just 3 finger !

It is just time really, I had quite a break of not playing and came back to it playing three fingered so I think that helped but I wouldn't advise this overall! Now I pretty much only play with three fingers but am completely unaware of what fingers hitting at what point etc I just play and it's what I'm used to so I'd say just play everything you would two fingered with three.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1328262662' post='1524473']
Was Iron Maiden two-fingers? I'd always thought it was three - mindst you, it's horses for courses. Youo've got to play the stuff, so you've got to play it with a technique which is both achievable and sounds right.
[/quote]

I believe it was two fingers and a thumb.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1328262662' post='1524473']
Was Iron Maiden two-fingers? I'd always thought it was three - mindst you, it's horses for courses. Youo've got to play the stuff, so you've got to play it with a technique which is both achievable and sounds right.
[/quote]
I used to think he was 3 when I was learning Phantom then are guitarist pointed out he used 2 ( He is a massive Maiden fan ) Of course I argued the point then he showed me this. About 1.55 mind you its all worth a watch,lol [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajD1duxKSuE&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328265011' post='1524535']
3 finger thing has always puzzled me...

I dont think Ive ever played a piece and thought 'I'm struggling with two fingers' and then considered adding a third to help.

Surely if your technique is good enough, two should suffice?
[/quote]
Depends what you're playing. I couldn't play fast enough to keep up with the music in my first band so I spent a lot of time working on using 3 fingers.

To answer the original question- use a metronome and lots of practice. Play the same songs and exercises you did with 2 fingers, making sure you can play clearly in 2s, 3s 4s etc. There's no shortcut I'm afraid.

Depends on how you play things I suppose. I often switch from 2 to 3 for no reason. Sometimes I just get bored of just using the first and middle fingers and just mix things up a bit! Im pretty strong with my third finger and I use it in a lot of my exercises to keep it strong.
I practised to a lot of Meshugggah to get my third finger strong enough for triplets and things but I don't play anything anywhere near as much triplet heavy music as I used to so now I just use it to make things more interesting for me!
So yeah, listen to a lot of Machine Head or Meshuggah and practice practice practice!!

Truckstop

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1328277354' post='1524822']
Depends what you're playing. I couldn't play fast enough to keep up with the music in my first band so I spent a lot of time working on using 3 fingers.
[/quote]

Surely if you cant play fast enough with two then you should practice more instead of taking the easy way out?

I also don't think that the third finger ever quite manages to get the right sound or control in the playing ive heard. It always sounds weaker and compromises dynamic control.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328278471' post='1524856']
Surely if you cant play fast enough with two then you should practice more instead of taking the easy way out?

I also don't think that the third finger ever quite manages to get the right sound or control in the playing ive heard. It always sounds weaker and compromises dynamic control.
[/quote]

How is that "taking the easy way out"? :o

That being the case, maybe we should all stop using two fingers, because more practice and dedication could lead to us playing everything with one super-speed finger.

I've practiced using my third finger for years and I don't notice any loss of control or dynamic range when I do so.

Why make life more difficult just for the sake of it? Many players resort to a pick if they can't play fast enough with their fingers. Is this "wrong" too? :unsure:

Back to Percy Jones. This is hilarious! Watch this video, and select the captions CC on the bottom of the window). Select the "Transcribe Audio" option. Sit back and enjoy!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBrSAcrm0M[/media]

Edited by Conan

i used to play a load of iron maiden stuff when i was learning to use my 3rd finger for picking, but i found it was only really useful for 'gallop' style rhythms - for more expressive use of the technique try some jaco stuff (eg. 'come on, come over') - even if you aren't a fan of the music it'll get you into string skipping and more in-depth applications.

then chuck your thumb into the mix :D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0Hoxo32FA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0Hoxo32FA[/url]

Practice two fingers till you don't have to think about it, it's just natural.
Get a fine metal jewellery saw, stick it in your first finger, careful when you get near the bone.
Shout oww, swear a bit.
Wrap it up, elevate above the heart.
Pick up bass, don't think and you suddenly realise you are using fingers 2 and 3 like you would 1 and 2.
play like that for a bit.
Then take the bandage off.
Pick up a bass.... don't think about it too much... and oh now you use 3 fingers.....

thats how I did it. No scar either which is pretty cool

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328265011' post='1524535']
Surely if your technique is good enough, two should suffice?
[/quote]

Of course that's right. However, there is always the case for developing your playing style. Keeps everything fresh. And of course you can keep everything fresh using different styles playing with two fingers. Whatever suits the individual. Gary Willis' explanation is quite simple. He started playing with three fingers so he's never known any different.