Why become a member? ×

3 finger playing

Bass_man219

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1328279944' post='1524896']
I use all four fingers, it is easier for me that way. *gets coat*
[/quote]

Thumb and four fingers here, but tend to use a digit per string and only resort to 'classic' two or three finger technique when speed demands it.

Bit of a weird technique I know, but comes down to living in the sticks when I first started and having no teacher or external reference (no internet in them days) - and to having played a bit of finger picking guitar first I guess.

It works for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to others necessarily.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1364581398' post='2028525']

Thumb and four fingers here, but tend to use a digit per string and only resort to 'classic' two or three finger technique when speed demands it.

Bit of a weird technique I know, but comes down to living in the sticks when I first started and having no teacher or external reference (no internet in them days) - and to having played a bit of finger picking guitar first I guess.

It works for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to others necessarily.
[/quote]
On the rare occasions I decide not to use a pick, I will often use my thumb and either two or three fingers. I picked this habit up from playing the banjo. I find I can get a much more consistent sound when galloping with thumb and first two fingers than just using three fingers.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1364610897' post='2028914']
On the rare occasions I decide not to use a pick, I will often use my thumb and either two or three fingers. I picked this habit up from playing the banjo. I find I can get a much more consistent sound when galloping with thumb and first two fingers than just using three fingers.
[/quote]

Cool technique! I don't think I've ever seen that used on the bass before :)

I use the 3 fingers for the most part. I would honestly that Maiden stuff isnt the best to practice the technique as it will get you into the triplet frame of mind, and it could potentially cause problems when you try to play 4's. ie you may be putting emphasis on the 1st note of the 3, which is definately not what you want. I'd go for something with a constant 8 notes per bar... like Dakota (as someone suggests). Mr Big Daddy brother lover has got a good fast groove that you can use 3 fingers over 8 notes.