Why become a member? ×

The best slap bass ive ever seen..

bubinga5

There are lots of opinions on slap bass i know.. but imo this the most musically clever slap ive ever seen... this guy is a real master of this technique imo... i know this has been shown before... was wondering if (if you like slap) this is quite universally liked...? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdN_O5k3WM[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Well I like it.
I've liked MM's stuff since 'Tutu' and loved his guest appearance in 'Everyone hates Chris'
IMO what makes him a cut above most slappers is that he has a balance of skill and technique between both the right and left hands
But then again, WTF do I know?

Must admit I agree with cd_david. Great player and technically/musically I think he is awesome, I just find his tone is not quite right.

Also played one or two of his signature basses and found them to be quite bad when it came to flexibility of tone, particularly in passive mode.

Edited by skej21

Waaaay back in the mists of time, before I discovered bass, one of my favourite tracks was from Bryan Ferry's [i]Bete Noire[/i] album, entitled "Kiss and Tell"
Upon reviewing this track, I found a bass tone to die for, a laid-back but punchy groove with tidy technique...
Oh and a bass credit for one Marcus Miller...
Super player.

I liked the beginning sections then after about 2 and a half minutes was bored.

No matter how good the technique or great the melody is I still get bored if it's longer than around 2 minutes.

Which is why I like this guy.
[url="http://youtu.be/GUwgCYF7ULs"]http://youtu.be/GUwgCYF7ULs[/url]

i dont get bored of his slap.. but would sooo love to hear the guy play that bass fingerstyle on an album.. im not an

i think this is wonderful slap playing for the song..for some reason i love the chromatic run just after 20 seconds.. little details that he plays, really stand out for me... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYiPQGmnyRI[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1327702257' post='1515780']
Must admit I agree with cd_david. Great player and technically/musically I think he is awesome, I just find his tone is not quite right.

Also played one or two of his signature basses and found them to be quite bad when it came to flexibility of tone, particularly in passive mode.
[/quote]what about his tone do you not like.. im not disagreeing with you im just interested in opinions... is it the active jazz, or just a jazz bass..?

if you have played the sig bass and found the preamp not good, is because its not a very good one...

Edited by bubinga5

Love MM with Luther - awesome. But can't stand MM when he does gentle songs that consist entirely of solo slapping. Just hideous.

The way I look at it, slapping is about emphasising rhythm. So when Mark King starts thrashing away with Phil Gould on the Live At Wembley vid, that all makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCv-5EonBuo

When Marcus starts doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhbi8GSsqrU

I feel despair.

Kind of liked that clip by Prime but he needs to get a better sound. More warmth and more hi-fi.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327719232' post='1515939']
what about his tone do you not like.. im not disagreeing with you im just interested in opinions... is it the active jazz, or just a jazz bass..?
[/quote]

It tends to be very trebly and in your face in active mode and in passive mode, it's so lifeless it just sounds like a cheap jazz with really dead strings. It also seems to lack the growl you expect from a jazz and doesn't have that little bit extra when you want to dig in...

Just not to my taste at all...

I can't play slap for shizzle, but then i rarely practice it tbh...but i do love listening to it and have always loved Marcus's clean tone lots. I do love the dirty funk monsters too...this clip kinda sounds like a funkagasm frenzy of strangled groovatrons :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5IFyo0k0Q

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1327743865' post='1516024']
on the subject of slap. Does anybody else find it really difficult to cut through the mix when slapping. Particually when there is 2 guitars playing
[/quote]

Marcus Miller, world grand meister funk champion of thumb & popping ,and generally attacking the note not tickling it,
is the dude to talk to,
never a problem for him...ever... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1327743865' post='1516024']
on the subject of slap. Does anybody else find it really difficult to cut through the mix when slapping. Particually when there is 2 guitars playing
[/quote]
Marcus is a legend. Having been lucky enough to see him twice i would say that his tone is not like this video which i don't think is Marcus at anywhere near his best. The live bass sound is absolutely huge.

On the mix question i know what you mean. Especially if you are only using your backline amp (no PA) and then go from fingerstyle into slap. The pops are nice and audible but the thumbing gets lost in the onstage sound. One little trick i use is to have the master volume on the bass at about 3/4 for fingerstyle and then when i get to a bit that has some slap i quickly push the volume up to max. I have tried to encourage the band to drop their attack just a tad to help - sometimes that works - sometimes they forget :rolleyes:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1327747885' post='1516097']
Marcus is a legend. The live bass sound is absolutely huge.
[/quote]

Agreed - i have seen him a few times, and it has always been that.
One time in Germany, i was a few feet away from the stage, and was amazed how
hard and controlled he was when attacking the strings with his thumb - certainly not afraid to give it some.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1327748402' post='1516108']
Agreed - i have seen him a few times, and it has always been that.
One time in Germany, i was a few feet away from the stage, and was amazed how
hard and controlled he was when attacking the strings with his thumb - certainly not afraid to give it some.

Garry
[/quote]

Thats probably why he Gaffa tapes his thumb. ( Im actually surprised he does not put a thimble on it. Considering the sound he gets sometimes) :lol: