Why become a member? ×

A few words on the subject of professionalism

Dom in Dorset

Hank?

FWIW he could assume less about the individual reading the message and make the effort to learn how to spell dubious correctly. Otherwise he just comes across as a pompous c*ck. Seriously, if there's a problem, he needs to deal with it 1:1 not post lazy, dumb ass messages to an imaginary audience at large.

Edited by Kiwi
Moderated for language.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1327397631' post='1510403']
Hank?

FWIW he could assume less about the individual reading the message and make the effort to learn how to spell dubious correctly. Otherwise he just comes across as a pompous cock. Seriously, if there's a problem, he needs to deal with it 1:1 not post lazy, dumb ass messages to an imaginary audience at large.
[/quote]
Smile and the whole world smiles with you :) .

Indeed, but it sets a bad example nevertheless. The last thing the music business needs is yet more deluded prima donnas filled with an overwhelming sense of their self importance...oh wait, without them, there probably wouldn't be a music business.

I stand corrected. Speaking of which, I also need to do a wee edit. :)

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327398509' post='1510418']
I consider myself the ideal professional. I treat my fellow band members, audience and crew members with the respect that they deserve as fellow music lovers.
[/quote]

"Get out."

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1327397631' post='1510403']

FWIW he could assume less about the individual reading the message and make the effort to learn how to spell dubious correctly.
[/quote]

Perhaps that should be directed at the person who actually typed out the quote and not Henry Rollins himself.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1327398659' post='1510423']

"Get out."
[/quote] HAHAHA!
Seriously though (in case you did not get my humour) I would like my lead singer see that with regards to other band members turning up at 6.pm and leaveing at 12.30 am, putting up the PA, lights, backline, sound checking etc etc. :angry:

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1327398957' post='1510429']
Perhaps that should be directed at the person who actually typed out the quote and not Henry Rollins himself.
[/quote]

What?! He doesn't do his own typing??!!

I once had an argument with someone who had made a spelling mistake in a poster - like this one all in capitals. He said there wasn't a mistake as the spellcheck didn't highlight it :unsure:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1327399460' post='1510436']
What?! He doesn't do his own typing??!!

I once had an argument with someone who had made a spelling mistake in a poster - like this one all in capitals. He said there wasn't a mistake as the spellcheck didn't highlight it :unsure:
[/quote]

As a designer myself, it's easy to overlook very simple things - we are human after all, no matter what some designers may tell you ;) The problem is not really spelling, but errors of grammar most of the time. Simple variations on words, so US versus UK spelling etc. No matter how many times I use a spellchecker when setting up artwork, if the client misses basic grammar and simple typos before signing it off, especially if it's been provided on their own copy, it's their responsibility and not mine. Clients seem to be under the illusion that they somehow absolve themselves from responsibility when they get proofs. They give it a simple glance over and say yes, that's fine. It's only when they get the copy back having spent hundreds of pounds on printing costs do they see the mistake, and then it's the 'designers' fault and not theirs! This is particularly problematic when setting up menu's or other lengthy documents in other languages, all with variants... so Indian takeaway menus are a nightmare. I guarantee that there will be at least one or two mistakes when doing these. I hate doing menus <_<

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1327401986' post='1510493']
As a designer myself, it's easy to overlook very simple things
[/quote]

The golden rule for proofreading is: "always get someone else to check your artwork" - as it is difficult to spot your own errors. :happy:

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1327401986' post='1510493']
As a designer myself, it's easy to overlook very simple things - we are human after all, no matter what some designers may tell you ;) The problem is not really spelling, but errors of grammar most of the time. Simple variations on words, so US versus UK spelling etc. No matter how many times I use a spellchecker when setting up artwork, if the client misses basic grammar and simple typos before signing it off, especially if it's been provided on their own copy, it's their responsibility and not mine. Clients seem to be under the illusion that they somehow absolve themselves from responsibility when they get proofs. They give it a simple glance over and say yes, that's fine. It's only when they get the copy back having spent hundreds of pounds on printing costs do they see the mistake, and then it's the 'designers' fault and not theirs! This is particularly problematic when setting up menu's or other lengthy documents in other languages, all with variants... so Indian takeaway menus are a nightmare. I guarantee that there will be at least one or two mistakes when doing these. I hate doing menus <_<
[/quote]

A designer friend of mine ALWAYS puts a deliberate (and fairly obvious) mistake in every proof he does to make sure it has been read! Amazing how often it doesn't get picked up and he has to point it out!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1327403417' post='1510519']
A designer friend of mine ALWAYS puts a deliberate (and fairly obvious) mistake in every proof he does to make sure it has been read! Amazing how often it doesn't get picked up and he has to point it out!
[/quote]

Yes, I've thought of doing this, and I know people who do. A designer should get four salaries if they work for a company! Their own, one of doing the job of the client, one for sorting out all the crap that reps bring to the job that didn't exist in the first place and one for sorting out crap from incompetent printers ;)