Why become a member? ×

Learning Bass

funky_numba

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate some serious inspiration re learning Bass Guitar.

I've been learning bass for about a year. I went to bass lesson with a tutor for about 6 months and got to a decent level but gave up lessons and have been trying to learn on my own by using online videos and reading up on the subject!

I've been playing along to music videos on youtube but feel that it does not help me progress!! I had a go at trying to learn slap bass to a video but it was too difficult.

I would just like to hear some testimonials from ex-newbies to advise how they learned to play the bass and get to be as good as they are now!!

Many thanks for any help!!

P.

Take it easy! Don't knock yourself if you feel you should be progressing faster. We are all different. Go at a comfortable pace and watch how well you improve.

Play along to youtube, but you don't have to replicate every note. Do your own thing over a song. It's good to listen to others, but let your own creativity guide you.

Good things come to those that............................................................................................................................................................................................wait :)

Edited by leftyhook

.. P, when i first started playing i struggled just like yourself.. first off why did you give up lessons? a GOOD teacher is invaluable!!! i cant stress that enough..
maybe you didnt find the right teacher.. there is nothing like the one on one.... i had piano lessons for a little while and its so important to have that close information contact.. i taught myself how to play bass and i think it shows in my theory, and i think that really thats why i wanted to play in the first place.. dont play theory catch up like im doing...if that what you want from the instrument?

i usually find Youtube information to be bit by bit.. you never really find the info you want....unless Jack's suggestion might be good mind... if you dont want to go back to a teacher i recommend a book by a guy called Stephan Richter, its just called "BASS".. comes with 2 CD's.. its THE most comprehensive book ive ever come across, and ive seen lots... if youve got the time and patience its all there..

of course a book like this will bring up questions, so i go back to my first point.. a good teacher.. no matter where you go you will always want to ask questions about stuff you may get stuck on... the best way to learn is from human beings who can can show you in real time.... from a book it depends how well you soak up information and understand it.

also listen to music.. im sure you do. but really listen, and listen all the time... i used to surround everywhere i went with music and still do

there are much more knowledgeable guys on here, that could prob give you some better advice.. i dont know them, but maybe you could ask guys like Bilbo, Doddy.. i dont want to speak for them, but im sure they wouldnt mind a quick Q..

i know what its like to need answers to something your passionate about...

i wish you well

Edited by bubinga5

My tip would be to start playing with other people. It doesn't really matter what level you are, or think you are. With a bit of effort, and maybe a false start or two you'll find like-minded people at the right level. Set yourself a target of a live 'gig'. It could be a local open mic or even just a friend's or family party. That'll give you a target and a spur.
IMHO, particularly as a bass player, it's only when you play as part of an ensemble that the whole thing takes off. Playing music with other people is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

You don't say if you play in a band or with others in some other setting. The first kick up the backside my playing got was being basically dared on-stage to play with some mates by my wife. Then I joined my first band and I haven't looked back. Playing in a group gives context to what you're doing and helps you understand the role of the bass. Never mind that (in my experience at least) it's a whole lot more fun than playing on your tod at home.

I started out by finding out what the indivdual notes were, then bought myself the songbook of Nevermind The Bollocks, by The Sex Pistols - my fave band at the time. In a few months I could play the whole album. This was very confidence inspiring, to go from beginner to being able to play my favourite music. Not sure how I would have got on if I`d been a Level 42 fan mind.

But, that would be my tip, concentrate on your favourite music. If it`s slap, master the attack technique from the thumb technique first, then the pull from the other fingers later. Trying slap all at once I think would be very daunting.

And don`t forget the importance of timing. The main thing about bass is that it essentially is a rhythm instrument. A bassist who keeps time accurately on a few notes is worth more than one who runs up and down the fretboard, drifting in and out of time.

All of the above, plus learn the names of the notes on the fretboard. Learning music theory while hunting around your bass for the notes makes everything ten times harder. Plus if you're in a band and someone shouts out the chords then immediately counts the band off at 150bpm it's nice to at least be able to find the root notes before the song finishes ;)

Ear training is important, there are various apps and webpages that will help with this. If you can easily hear the difference between major and minor, and start to identify intervals it'll make it easier to work out what other people are playing. More importantly it'll help you to get the notes you hear in your head out of your bass.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1327142740' post='1506848']
My tip would be to start playing with other people.
[/quote]

+1. You will learn a lot faster when you start playing with other musicians. You'll learn more about the role of the bass, what sort of sounds work in a band, how important it is to have good timing and be consistent, etc. Lots of stuff you probably haven't though much about yet. Plus you'll have lots of opportunity to learn new songs and maybe contribute your own ideas to them.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1327142740' post='1506848']
My tip would be to start playing with other people.
[/quote]

Another vote for this. Try to play with people who are better than you are, as you will be highly motivated to improve your game and reach their level.

Edited by discreet

As many have said, playing with other people makes a huge difference.
I was the same as probably the vast majority of bassists, who, were sitting in their house playing along to cd's/youtube etc and that is fine for actually playing along.
But...when you get the the studio/garage, wherever it may be that you meet up with others and start belting a few tunes out, it is amazing how quickly you will progress.
It is daunting, I was the least experienced when I joined my first band, but after only 2 or 3 practices with them I had probably learnt more in those few weeks than 6 months sitting at home.
Not only that but you can crank the volume up, let rip and it sounds and feels far better than getting an earful from the missus at home!!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1327142861' post='1506849']
You don't say if you play in a band or with others in some other setting. The first kick up the backside my playing got was being basically dared on-stage to play with some mates by my wife. Then I joined my first band and I haven't looked back. Playing in a group gives context to what you're doing and helps you understand the role of the bass. Never mind that (in my experience at least) it's a whole lot more fun than playing on your tod at home.
[/quote]

+1 to that

Another +1 to playing with other people, especially 1 on 1 sessions with a good drummer.

Even if you're not playing anything drastic or earth-moving, it's amazing how good it will sound if the drummer's creative with his beats and styles. It will teach you how to read drummers as well, and help you develop a 'same wavelength' relationship with the drummer in question, allowing you to transition smoothly between moods, ideas and sections.

This will then translate into your band - the band will as a result have a close-knit rhythm section, and be noticeably better because of it.

Don't forget your theory either, that's important if you want to keep up with other musicians.

I wish you the best of luck!

Lessons-Practice-Performance

Repeat forever.

Just echoing the advice on here. You need all three elements for maximum improvement. They should be interrelated and feed each other.

Get a great teacher. Play with better musicians than you and have an efficient practice routine.
There are no limits to how much you can improve.
Enjoy it!

See if you can find a jam night somewhere. Playing with people, as already mentioned, definitely gives you motivation for practising, as well as good general experience. I remember getting to uni having played bass for a couple of years, and going to the jazz society jams lead to my playing improving dramatically.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327111578' post='1506691']
.. P, when i first started playing i struggled just like yourself.. first off why did you give up lessons? a GOOD teacher is invaluable!!! i cant stress that enough..
maybe you didnt find the right teacher.. there is nothing like the one on one.... i had piano lessons for a little while and its so important to have that close information contact.. i taught myself how to play bass and i think it shows in my theory, and i think that really thats why i wanted to play in the first place.. dont play theory catch up like im doing...if that what you want from the instrument?

i usually find Youtube information to be bit by bit.. you never really find the info you want....unless Jack's suggestion might be good mind... if you dont want to go back to a teacher i recommend a book by a guy called Stephan Richter, its just called "BASS".. comes with 2 CD's.. its THE most comprehensive book ive ever come across, and ive seen lots... if youve got the time and patience its all there..

[/quote]

Several books on Bass by this guy, but none with 2 cds that are titled just .BASS ? Here is a stepan richter book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Bass-Pack-Learn-Guitar/dp/0947183884/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327252760&sr=1-4"]is this the guy?[/url] thats not it though is it ?

Edited by daz