Why become a member? ×

I think I bought the wrong bass?

Drummer

Hey there, I'm new to this forum and I'm a beginner bass player XD.
One day, Not too long ago, I went with my dad to a music store to buy my first bass. The music store had a few basses which I liked, I quite knew what I was looking for. I wanted a bass that sounded like this [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYsFbF9emtI[/media] . But then my and dad saw a good Fender Squier J bass which I really like but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. But my dad a bit of pressured me into buying that bass. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Fender Squier J Bass but it wasn't what I was exactly looking for.
And then later I wen't out of that store with a Fender Squier J Bass. Now I don't know what to do because I wanted a bass that sounded like that link Or maybe even THAT exact Laguna Bass guitar, I just REALLY love how it sounds.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Drummer

It can be difficult to really get an idea of bass tone from youtube vids (IMO), the other thing I've noticed is that the pics I can find show a P/J configuration which can give a ritcher warmer sound. You could also try putting the neck pick up on full and the bridge half way, tone half way.
Amplification?

Edited by Dom in Somerset

I think you'll find a large percentage of players on here started with a Squier bass of some description, so i don;t think you've bought the wrong bass as such. They are great instruments to get going in your playing career, and they will always serve as a great bass or even backup bass when you may decide to purchase another instrument. As for Laguna, one of my local stores in Orpington, Kent has a funky looking Laguna bass in store (cannot see video as on work infratructure).

Happy playing

It sounds to me that alot of what you're hearing from that Laguna is actually coming from Californication itself. Seems to be blending with Flea just a bit. Of course that could just be my netbook speakers <_<

I've never heard of Laguna either. A Squier Jazz is a great starter bass, they can sound lovely with the right amp and a bit of messing around.

Putting amplification asside...
Jazz basses have a lot of variables to try before you find the sound that's right for you. I bought a Fender Jazz last August and only found my tone in December!
You have to experiment with control settings (I usually use the settings given in my last post) , exactly how and where you pluck , strings (I put a set of D'addario nickel wound strings on and that was the biggest factor in unlocking the tone that I wanted)

I think if you want to try and replicate that Flea type sound, he always tends to use basses with a bridge specific pickup, not neccesarily a Jazz i think thats more mellow, obviously Stingrays, modulus and the like, but it can be acheived in other ways. Eg i was amazed at the sounds available out of my G&L 2000, on bridge pickup you can get some awesome Chili type tones. If you look out for a tribute version (which no one will say is a bad bass) you can get good deals or even 2nd hand. EG i bought a Stingray years ago to "sound Flea like" and it did of course, however, once i started to use the G&L i found it just as good, plus i could flick it to neck pickup if i wanted to sound like a P bass or both for a mellow tone. Just an idea.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326967520' post='1504316']
Learn about EQ'ing a bass and you'll get more than close to that sound, IMO.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree. With new-ish strings and the right amp/EQ you can get that sound out of a jazz, no problem. Of course, you need some way of EQ-ing it...

Edited by LawrenceH

Your dad was right to do what he did mate. you cannot go wrong with the Squier Jazz. It's basically the same as a Fender Jazz which has been on almost as many records as the Fender Precision. Nothing else has been on anything like as many hit records. You can get THAT sound out of almost any bass!

My friend teaches at a highly regarded music college. Every year people come in with BC Rich's, Warwicks, Fleabass's whatever, and every year they leave with a Fender Jazz bass (or a copy). Even the Laguna is just a copy of the Fender design with some embelishments.

Don't believe me? have a look around here at people's signatures, see what they play in terms of music style, then look at the instrument they use to do it... The Jazz ain't just for Jazz.

Now, how you play your Squier and how you setup your amp and your effects... Thats how you will get THAT sound my friend.

Totally agree with everything above :)

The other great thing about a Squier is that it'll hold value really well - precisely because it is THE perfect starter bass (as well as being a quality instrument in its own right).

I'd really work on amp & pickup settings and then maybe think about pedals & stuff. Well worth checking out the used section here for stuff like this. Will save you a packet on new prices and means that if you don't like something you can usually re-coup your money back again here on BC.

the squier will be a great starting bass :) and don't worry too much about trying to sound like a youtube video, as the sound on them often comes from eq and compression after recording anyway.

My best advice is to get playing and develop a technique that works for you, because this will be one of the main things that gives you 'your' tone. As far as jazz bass sounds go, it is very versatile. If you want a warmer sound, try rolling back the bridge pickup a bit, and if you want a more biting sound roll the neck pickup back a bit. I have also found that having both pickups on full acts kind of like a mid-scoop (i'm not sure why, as I'm not one for understanding electronics :P).

Enjoy the bass :D

Plus, because they are made to standard, you can always swap for a different coloured Squier body after a while if the sunburst really bothers you :) theres usually one going on here for £not much. For now I'd stick with it and you can always get a different coloured scratchplate or something to give it a personal touch :)

I think Flea used an old Jazz bass for alot of the californication era stuff, so you should be able to get close to his sound on your bass. I'm in the process of sorting out my Stingray 5 with new paint and pickups, but after that I'd like to put together a bitsa Jazz with a precision neck. Now, show us some photos of your bass.

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1326989223' post='1504813']
Get a tort scratchplate and 60s it up a little, it'll look tasty as.

Proof:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2011/post-7975-1308247456.jpg"]http://basschat.co.u...-1308247456.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

Good point, or a black one for a 70s vibe:[url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_66&products_id=4799&oscsid=cd2280daee133de6650a9aa96cf3a77f"] http://www.coda-musi...50a9aa96cf3a77f[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Maybe it's just my ears but I don't hear anything unique in the tone of the bass in the YouTube link. You need a bass that can get many tones not just one.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

My advice on top of all those who have posted is don't throw money into gear expecting it to make a specific sound you might have heard on Youtube or from perhaps your favourite bass player's bass, it's a very big waste of money. Stick with your Squier Jazz (which I happen to think is an excellent first bass) and work on getting your playing together. The sound of your bass will come later on, but for now, practice makes perfect. Enjoy playing, worry about your sound a bit later on.