Why become a member? ×

James Taylor.. shower the people you love with love..

bubinga5

i listened to this song this evening after a crap family row.. sounds a bit cheesy, but i wish people would do it more often... family or not.. group hug??? :D music is the best remedy.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_etU9MED4k[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1326700865' post='1500525']
I don't get the James Taylor thing. Americans love that brand of mush. [/quote]

I think with over 40 years worth of [b]World [/b]wide sales & tours, It's likely that its more than an American thing.

Written some top stuff for himself & others, and has used some tremendous Musicians live & in the Studio.
Just my opinion of course.

Garry

Ugh, pure cheese. I don't get the James Taylor thing. Americans love that brand of mush. Makes for a very dull song, IMO
[/quote]

Ooooh someone's cranky!
You know what you need? A lovely big hug! :lol:

Ugh, pure cheese. I don't get the James Taylor thing. Americans love that brand of mush. Makes for a very dull song, IMO
[/quote]

I don't think this was supposed to be a critique of the song, genre, artist.......

To the OP,
yup music is great for reflecting, or changing how we feel. Mr Taylor writes a good lyric too.

He's got an amazing double live-cd which is one of my favourite records ever...
Went to see him live in concert twice and it was just so good...excellent musicians and finally someone who's still capable of writing and singing a song instead of making only grooves..
The cd "Hourglass" is also excellent...his music is so refined and never "vulgar". You can feel that he "takes care" of his songs.
This is my favourite, features the great Jimmy Johnson

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2D714gn2w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2D714gn2w[/url]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1326721896' post='1500947']
I think with over 40 years worth of [b]World [/b]wide sales & tours, It's likely that its more than an American thing.
[/quote]

Quite, and being signed by Macca and George Harrison is usually an indication that you might be doing something right.

His music isn't everyone's cup of tea (or coffee depending on what side of the Atlantic you're on) but he's had longevity (despite a terrible heroin addiction... not as sweet as some might think, he has had a very dark side) and loads of hits. He's great, I got brought up listening to him.

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1326720754' post='1500911'] James is very sincere. One of the greatest songwriters of recent times in my view... and a band to die for! (I met him in July last year... he's lovely) [/quote]

I'd love to meet James Taylor, he's a hero of mine. And his band are incredible! I saw him a few years back and Jimmy Johnson was on bass duties before he had Lee Sklar back... what an incredible bass player!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1326744845' post='1501492']
I'd love to meet James Taylor, he's a hero of mine. And his band are incredible! I saw him a few years back and Jimmy Johnson was on bass duties before he had Lee Sklar back... what an incredible bass player!
[/quote]
I feel very privileged to have met him, and it was through Jimmy that I did. He (Jimmy) is a pal of mine and has invited me to gigs with James and Allan Holdsworth. I have always loved Jimmy's playing and similarly feel very lucky to have him as a friend.
Lee was playing for the Carole King/JT troubadour tour, Jimmy has been JTs regular bass player since the early nineties.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1326745775' post='1501518']
I feel very privileged to have met him, and it was through Jimmy that I did. He (Jimmy) is a pal of mine and has invited me to gigs with James and Allan Holdsworth. I have always loved Jimmy's playing and similarly feel very lucky to have him as a friend.
Lee was playing for the Carole King/JT troubadour tour, Jimmy has been JTs regular bass player since the early nineties.
[/quote]

Fantastic stuff Jake. You get the sense when you watch/hear Jimmy play that he really knows his way around his bass, from his low B right up the neck. Fantastically melodic and incredibly supportive all at the same time.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1326749339' post='1501588']
Fantastic stuff Jake. You get the sense when you watch/hear Jimmy play that he really knows his way around his bass, from his low B right up the neck. Fantastically melodic and incredibly supportive all at the same time.
[/quote]
He's a very humble guy, I have talked to him about his concept in playing to support those songs and he always just pays tribute to the writing and how easy it is to play those songs and how lucky he feels to be able to play them. I've seen him with James 3 times now and each occasion was a masterclass in doing it right... every night. I've also seen him twice with Allan Holdsworth where he showed he can tear it up with the best of them. If you consider the drummers he has played with. Gadd, Vinnie, Steve Jordan, Calos Vega, Chad Wackerman to name a few....