Why become a member? ×

New Aguilar Tone Hammer 350

NJE

I did a search but found nothing, it seems Aguilar are doing a 350w Tone Hammer Head: [url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_TH350.htm"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_TH350.htm[/url]

It looks even smaller than the 500 watt version, might give it a go if its cheaper than the 500.

Announced on Bass Player as well today

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/aguilar-amplification-tone-hammer-350/14424

I quite fancy the idea of one of these for home or rehearsal use - I rarely wind my TH500 above 50% on the master volume and it might be nice to hear one of these heads at near to full whack.

I have it on good authority that a dealer near me will have some in stock as soon as they are available in the UK. . .

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326051992' post='1491667']
plus another 40% for profit.
[/quote]

The USA price will already have some margin built into it - with the 500 selling at about £599 I reckon the 350 will be somewhere between £400 - £450.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325778582' post='1487532']
[size=4]Our playing situations might be different but I wouldn't go for less than the TH500. As we've been saying in other threads today, the more power you have the less work your amp has to do.[/size]
[/quote]

I think you have to ignore what the manufacturers say, and use your ears to guide you as to whether something is 'loud enough' for a given situation.
The EBS Reidmar is a perfect example. The Reidmar is plenty loud enough for a gig where PA support isn't needed, bigger gigs where it isn't then you'd be using a full PA.

Have a look here

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/aguilar-tone-hammer-350-a-837192/index3.html"]http://www.talkbass....192/index3.html[/url]

The guy from Aguilar says that the power module used in the 350 is the same as the one in the GK MB500.

That's rated by the manufacturer as having an output of 500 watts. I think maybe Aguilar are just doing an EBS and being honest with their statements.

Edited by Soliloquy

>The guy from Aguilar says that the power module used in the 350 is the same as the one in the GK MB500.

I have owned a GK MB Fusion and an Aguilar TH500 at the same time. The power module in the GK kept going after the Aguilar gave up. No idea what was going on inside etc etc, but for actual volume the GK did more.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325778582' post='1487532']
[size=4]Our playing situations might be different but I wouldn't go for less than the TH500. As we've been saying in other threads today, the more power you have the less work your amp has to do.[/size]
[/quote]

I'm with chris... I don't put much into my signal so I need the extra headroom. Other people might get more beans however they want to do it..but I want the volume to be there
withthout pushing EQ excluding internal mappings.

Sure, you don't have to take strict notice of watts but you do have to make sure it can go loud enough with your input parameters.

I also have the TH pedal so can run that from a power amp ...hmmm
might try that in earnest

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1336072948' post='1640594']
I guess it depends on your cab choice. Efficiency is key when you lower the amp power.
[/quote]

Totally. I noticed that the SL cabs that perhaps are designed to partner the Tonehammer heads (rather than the older GS and DB cabs) are significantly more efficicient.
I tried both the 350 and the 500 at the lefty bass bash last month, courtesy of Phil at Bassgear. It was my first time with Aguilar gear and I was seriously seriously impressed. I'm very closed to selling off my current kit and getting an Aguilar rig. For my money the 500 was worth the squirt as it has the drive control. Also I'm dropping from a 1kw rig so having the extra 150w of headroom consoles me. Phil had them partnered with the SL cabs by the way - they are amazing... rich and deep but a one fingered lift.

Edit: just checked the specs and the 350 has the drive control too, sorry. But I also checked the speaker sensitivity... GS and DB cabs are 95db and the SL's are 99.9db. Also the frequency response is wider... 37Hz-16Khz vs 42Hz-16Khz on the GS and DBs.

Edited by coasterbass

A pro friend of mine ran a pretty exhaustive set of tests on an AG500, TH500 a pair of GS cabs and a pair of SL's

The TH/SL combination won the day and on the side by side test the SL's were noticeably louder.

He was testing up against a very hard hitting pro drummer as well.

[quote name='coasterbass' timestamp='1336133472' post='1641355']
Totally. I noticed that the SL cabs that perhaps are designed to partner the Tonehammer heads (rather than the older GS and DB cabs) are significantly more efficicient.
I tried both the 350 and the 500 at the lefty bass bash last month, courtesy of Phil at Bassgear. It was my first time with Aguilar gear and I was seriously seriously impressed. I'm very closed to selling off my current kit and getting an Aguilar rig. For my money the 500 was worth the squirt as it has the drive control. Also I'm dropping from a 1kw rig so having the extra 150w of headroom consoles me. Phil had them partnered with the SL cabs by the way - they are amazing... rich and deep but a one fingered lift.

Edit: just checked the specs and the 350 has the drive control too, sorry. But I also checked the speaker sensitivity... GS and DB cabs are 95db and the SL's are 99.9db. Also the frequency response is wider... 37Hz-16Khz vs 42Hz-16Khz on the GS and DBs.
[/quote]

Hi mate. I was very impressed by the TH350 and SL cab at the LBB as well - and I could not believe how light it was (good for my dodgy back)! ;) Unfortunately I'd just taken delivery of my new GB/Vanderkley rig (which you may remember from the Bash as well), so not in the market unfortunately.