Why become a member? ×

I don't understand 'aggressive' sounding basses??

Jamesemt

I'd say its a bass played hard and heavy. You know when you really 'dig-in' to the strings when plucking, or use a pick the the thickness of a 50p... When you get blisters after 10 minutes of playing and the strings rattle against the fretboard every note... you're playing aggressively.
The strings resonate differently to playing lightly and no amount of letting the amp do the work will substitute this style of attack.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1325765425' post='1487204']
I assume its a powerful picked bass on bright rounds a la Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnel or Phil Lynott. My personal syle of bass playing to be honest! :D
[/quote]

I'd go with this. Listen to Hanging Around by the Stranglers here: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nXa4XtNm8[/media].

When the bass comes in at 13 seconds - that's what I would call an aggressive bass tone :) .

Edited by simon1964

I have just watched 'Lemmy The Movie' on BBC4. There is a clip of him on stage where he is discussing his sound and technique. He jestfully plays some root / 5ths ala country style and then turns his Marshall amp (Murder One!) up and plays a bass line with incoporates strummed 2 string power chords. Now that was aggresive. Good film by the way.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1325769755' post='1487353']
I have just watched 'Lemmy The Movie' on BBC4. There is a clip of him on stage where he is discussing his sound and technique. He jestfully plays some root / 5ths ala country style and then turns his Marshall amp (Murder One!) up and plays a bass line with incoporates strummed 2 string power chords. Now that was aggresive. Good film by the way.
[/quote]

I watched that the other night - damn that was a big/aggressive sound out of a Ric, although I'm sure I noticed definitely one more pup (IIRC there was an additional 2 pups in total).

Also agree JJ Burnel's style of playing is about as aggressive as it gets B)

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1325766772' post='1487245']
I'd go with this. Listen to Hanging Around by the Stranglers here: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nXa4XtNm8[/media].

When the bass comes in at 13 seconds - that's what I would call an aggressive bass tone :) .
[/quote]

A seismic moment in my bassplaying career was hearing this for the first time - I couldn't believe my ears. Just the best bass sound, ever. :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1325777392' post='1487504']
A seismic moment in my bassplaying career was hearing this for the first time - I couldn't believe my ears. Just the best bass sound, ever. :)
[/quote]

Me too - in fact, I switched from guitar to bass largely because of JJ's playing!