Why become a member? ×

Loudness Vs. Size. (212, 2x 112 or 1x 112?)

jackers

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of getting a smaller, lightweight rig that I can take to practices and move around more easily. I think I have decided on an Ashdown MiBass 550W for the head, but I am currently unsure of what would be a good choice for a cab (both in terms of make and configuration).

Ideally I want something that is light enough for me to carry around for short-ish distances, (I don't drive), and also loud enough to be used for practices with my band, (5 piece pop-punk with drums, 2 guitars and vocals, think paramore/all time low). I have been exchanging a couple of emails with alex at barefaced about a super 12, as they are lightweight, and I have heard nothing but great things on here. I've also been looking into the various different combinations of 212s and 112s by other manufacturers, (orange, aguilar and tc so far), and I am getting a bit confused about it all.

Since I don't drive, it is quite difficult for me to get to places to try out all the options I have, (I am planning to make a trip to barefaced at some point once I have the MiBass to try the super 12 though), so I was wondering what other people's thoughts are on this. Is a 112 going to be enough for band practice when paired with the MiBass? If not, is it better to get a 212, or 2 x 112s?

Thanks for any advice :)

Personally, I don't think a 112 is enough for anything but quiet practices myself... and they wouldn't work for me, so I am always prepared to run two.
since you don't drive.... man-handling 2 x 112's doesn't seems a good idea to me so you may be forced to go 212.

You may be lucky in that your situation might work with a 112 and it would be a cheaper entry with the choice to add another later.

If you don't gig atm..then this route makes sense.

2 12's are better but your options of moving them don't make this easy

Having had a Barefaced Midget (112) and a Compact (115) each of these was plenty loud enough on its own for both of my bands, one of which has drums, 2 basses, 3 gtrs, and keys! So I think the Super 12 should be more than fine.

The only thing I would say is, although each were plenty loud enough, for me, neither on their own had the "bigness" of the sound that I like - which is why I had the two. Now both together, the size of the sound was fantastic. I think 2 Midgets would be great too.

The Midget-T is the one for you.

I gig large working mens clubs all the time in a 6 piece rock band with 350 people using a Midget-T alone (no pa) & 400w Peavey power amp. I had loads of headroom and my wife said I was too loud on many occations and the tables were shaking with the bass.

If I were you, dont bother with anything else than the Midget. It is small, weighs nothing and will do the job no problems at all. Everyone is gobsmacked with the size, volume and presence you get from it. I am still and I have had it 12 months, it really is that good.

The only slight compramise is you may have to add just a tad bass to your eq if you like a deep sound and you will lose all pissing contests when it comes to asthetics.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1325579585' post='1484508']
The Midget-T is the one for you.
[/quote]

I wouldnt say this for definate. The midget is a perfect and better altyernmative to 2x10's for sure.
I had one and was perfect when we were in a fairly large room and the guitarist was using a small combo(30watts) however we got in new bigger and far louder stuff and it was made to look pretty quiet. However I did gig a few birthdays with it and no Pa support and was told the bass was too loud...Some rehearsal situations it might not have the loudness to be heard on par with drums and guitars(depending on the amps and drummer used.)

I got the S12T after and was always impressed with the volume. However this can be a little over kill for most gig situations.

The compact I feel is a better cab for you. Do not get hung up onb the "omg I need 2x12 inch speakers for my sound and da rawk". All the cabs at barfefaced sound pretty similar as they are transparant and you'll get out what goes in. The only questions you need to ask yourself is "do I need the highs from a tweeter? And How loud do I need to be.?"
Still with the compact most rehearsals im barely pushing it, and it gets the nice mid range and high sound I like with the MB head, and during gigs with lots of floor monitors it still performs well, against the cancellation you get.

Also the compact is lighter than the S12, and is 100 or csomething less Vd quiter. which when these too cabs get loud is neglagible

I've gigged with a Bag End 1x10 in a small/medium pub & a hotel as part of a 7 piece functions band and it sounded just fine. Needed to be raised right up on a chair so I could get a really clear sound from it.

These days I really favour the 2 x 1x12 route for giggs & a single 1x12 for reasonably loud rehearsals. I'm using an Aguilar Tone Hammer plus Aguilar Sl1x12's.

If you want something light but decent 'heft' then these Aggie cabs are amazing. Just stupidly light for their size (which isn't the smallest of the modern lightweight cabs).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325556966' post='1484441']
Personally, I don't think a 112 is enough for anything but quiet practices myself... and they wouldn't work for me, so I am always prepared to run two.
since you don't drive.... man-handling 2 x 112's doesn't seems a good idea to me so you may be forced to go 212.

You may be lucky in that your situation might work with a 112 and it would be a cheaper entry with the choice to add another later.

If you don't gig atm..then this route makes sense.

2 12's are better but your options of moving them don't make this easy
[/quote]

I know someone who has a Vanderkley 1 x 12, with a smallish Markbass amp, and the sound and volume is stunning, easily enough for a pub gig I would have thought.
I'd be after the same rig myself if I thought my playing warranted it (The speaker is £575). I notice that the Bass direct site recommends two of these for 'maximum' efficiency, but from what I've heard one is well loud enough for most of the gigs that I'd be interested in.

Clive

EDITED TO ADD: I see that they also do a 1 x12 600W cabinet, but that's £700.

I guess that small and light can do loud, - if you can afford it.

Edited by Count Bassy

Trying out the cab at the Barefaced facility won't let you hear what it can do in a band situation.

Why not take up Alex's offer of a thirty day trial on whichever cab he recommends for your needs, then you can try it out proper loud at rehearsals and gigs...?

I feel that this is a fantastic offer and shows how confident he is of his cabs abilities - I'm saving for a Barefaced Super 12 myself (2X12) - it only weighs 40lbs...!

wow, thanks for all the responses so quickly :) and thank you for the pointer on reading up on displacement Bill, I have been finding the barefaced website really useful for finding out exactly what everything means :) Hopefully I will hear from alex again soon, he said he would email me back in the new year. (Really great communication from you guys btw, very helpful and friendly.)

I didn't know they did a 30 day trial, cheers straightsix :) I will definitely take alex up on that when he recommends me something.

at the moment my main concern is getting something portable but loud enough for rehearsal use, as I don't live far from where my band practices (about 5 mins walk), and am getting fed up of having to rent their rather poor bass amps. So I have to say I am tempted by the idea of a midget or compact to start, then picking up a second midget later, but I will see what happens.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1325599229' post='1484873']
Apparently a Midget and Compact combined is pretty devastating...though I haven't tried them.

Have a read of the feedback on the Barefaced website:

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/customer-feedback.htm"]http://barefacedbass...er-feedback.htm[/url]
[/quote]

A midgets Vd is 330
Compact is 550
and the S12 is 660. (IIRC)
The super 12 is definatly sometuing to fear, so i would imagine a Midget/compact rig would be ear bending.

If every Manufacturer used Volume displacement as the "loud" units life would be a lot easier.

+1 the Midget for my 2p, but Alex will see you right (as he has done for many of us on here!). I think if you are using public transport/taxi to get to gigs the Midget will be a good option.
The Super 12 is very small and light for a rig capable of handling 1200W, and it will outdo most 4x10s, but the wheels are designed to get you from the car to the stage, not to take your rig for a walk. I think you'll find it a bit unwieldy on the bus/train. I got a Super12T because I was used to an exceptionally loud 4x10, in retrospect, for what I'm doing its complete overkill, I can't get the volume on my amp past 9 o'clock without it hurting!!

I believe the midget will easily handle everything the MiBass can throw at it and its really portable too!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1325582684' post='1484542']
I wouldnt say this for definate. The midget is a perfect and better altyernmative to 2x10's for sure.
I had one and was perfect when we were in a fairly large room and the guitarist was using a small combo(30watts) however we got in new bigger and far louder stuff and it was made to look pretty quiet. However I did gig a few birthdays with it and no Pa support and was told the bass was too loud...Some rehearsal situations it might not have the loudness to be heard on par with drums and guitars(depending on the amps and drummer used.)
[/quote]I would suggest the issue you had was amp or EQ. There is no way outside of a stadium you need anything but the Midget IMHO.The downside is you do need to push a large number of watts through it to achieve the same level of volume you get from a speaker with more sensativity.The thing can handle 600w continuous which is rediculous and beyond most bass amps on the market today (tc anyone ;) ).

Anyway I am not trying to start an argument, just pointing out if I had to carry a speaker on public transport, or any distance at all, there would only be one cab for me! Just make sure you stick lots of watts in to it.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1325606298' post='1485035']
I would suggest the issue you had was amp or EQ....

. [b]There is no way outside of a stadium you need anything but the Midget IMHO.[/b]

The downside is you do need to push a large number of watts through it to achieve the same level of volume you get from a speaker with more sensativity.The thing can handle 600w continuous which is rediculous and beyond most bass amps on the market today (tc anyone ;) ).

[/quote]

I don't know what sort of gigs you play but this is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen in this forum since I been coming here.
You honestly believe that...??

I got myself a couple of GK Neo 12" cabs, very lightweight and definitely worth considering. You'll get 2 for not much more than a single Compact cab. I did have the Barefaced Compact and again, it's very lightweight and a great sounding cab. In my opinion it didn't handle the rigours of gigging life the same as my carpet or vinyl covered cabs though ! With the Compact, and most small cab solutions I always felt my sound flapped by my trousers, wehereas I can stack the 2 x 12" cabs on their ends to give a fairly high speaker solution.

If your after a Barefaced, I'd say go for the Super 12T as it'll sit at a decent high for onstage monitoring. Real "Bass Players" don't put their cabs on chairs ;)

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1325609604' post='1485130']
Real "Bass Players" don't put their cabs on chairs ;)
[/quote]
No they bring their own stand instead. :lol:

The Barefaced equivalent to your rig largo would be 2 midgets... But you're effectively just using one of the speakers as a stand for the other. ;)

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1325606298' post='1485035']
I would suggest the issue you had was amp or EQ. There is no way outside of a stadium you need anything but the Midget IMHO.The downside is you do need to push a large number of watts through it to achieve the same level of volume you get from a speaker with more sensativity.The thing can handle 600w continuous which is rediculous and beyond most bass amps on the market today (tc anyone ;) ).

Anyway I am not trying to start an argument, just pointing out if I had to carry a speaker on public transport, or any distance at all, there would only be one cab for me! Just make sure you stick lots of watts in to it.
[/quote]

Obviously it does everything for you, and for a while it did me.
My issue was it didnt deliver the volume I needed for rehearsals to be heard clearly and cleanly the way I want. It was fine for gigs but wants often over come needs. Me wanting more and more and more!
The amp wasnt a problem, as I've used the same amp with all of the barefaced modular range now, and as scienc-y tests have shown the markbass isn't down on watts.

I was only stating that the mnidget isnt the be and end all to everyone. Everything is dependant on the situation. the compact is just the best compromise for everything without knowing for 100% where you are going to be gigging and how loud you need to be or not be.

When the drummer is asking me to turn up and its not possible then I think we need more RAWK. it wasnt a problem with EQ either as I use everything set flat with just a boost of treble on the on-board pre.

Alex will put you right and ask the same questions I would ask, (gig size, amp, uses, sounds)

I know the compact is a 15 inch deal but it doesn't sound at all like you'd expect.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1325609604' post='1485130']
I got myself a couple of GK Neo 12" cabs, very lightweight and definitely worth considering. You'll get 2 for not much more than a single Compact cab. I did have the Barefaced Compact and again, it's very lightweight and a great sounding cab. In my opinion it didn't handle the rigours of gigging life the same as my carpet or vinyl covered cabs though ! With the Compact, and most small cab solutions I always felt my sound flapped by my trousers, wehereas I can stack the 2 x 12" cabs on their ends to give a fairly high speaker solution.

If your after a Barefaced, I'd say go for the Super 12T as it'll sit at a decent high for onstage monitoring. Real "Bass Players" don't put their cabs on chairs ;)
[/quote]

I've never really had an issue of not hearing them on stage, except the odd occassion where I had to stand over the midget. I would agree with the tallness of the S12T helping with audibilty.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Hehe, yep I guess it is! Although it would be 2 Midget T's or for that matter a Super 12T. I do have both my cabs plugged in, so it's more than just a stand. The bottom cab still flaps my flared trousers for showbiz-stylee (same as Beyonce uses a fan to blow her hair about) and the top cab is then my monitor. :D

thanks for all the replies and advice all :) it seems my best options would be to either start off with a compact, then add a midget, or to go for a super 12. (I'm not keen on tweeters, I dislike the 'glassy-ness' they add to the highs in my sound.)

I am also interested in the aggie stuff, but I have no way to really try any out, cos no where near oxford stocks them. PMT Oxford has a great selection of fender basses, and some nice bass heads, but their compact cab range is quite limited, they only seem to have that orange 212 with both speakers in line one behind the other, which I have been told to avoid by quite a few people.

I'm really not too fussed about how 'cool' my rig looks on stage to be honest, as long as it sounds nice then people can think what they like :) (plus I love the look of the barefaced stuff).