Why become a member? ×

Recommended basses for playing up the dusty end

thebassman

Couldn't recommend any particular make myself but I think the bass needs to be really well put together for it to sing well
in the higher register and especially on the lower strings.
It shouldn't be beyond makers of decent basses..but it sometimes actually is..IMO.. so it is
going to be a bit of leg work for you to find one, I'm afraid.

Maybe you can cut down the choices somewhat if you decide whether you MUST have 24 frets..
You will certainly have to get out there and play them...
It is like 5 strings and their B's... you can't take much for granted, IMV

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and it's so easy to play like you wouldn't believe. Extremely well put together and sounds great. Very hard to beat it at the price and even some of the pricier basses might struggle when compared. The only thing I don't like about it are the tuning machines. Soon to be replaced. You need to try one!

Of all the basses I own my Warwick Thumb NT is the best for playing up the neck. With 24 of the 26 frets clear of the body access is top notch, and the sound across all strings across the whole of the fretboard is well defined. The one I have has an Ebony 'board and this is highly recommended over the Wenge alternatives (IMHO).

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1325528370' post='1484032']
I would recommend the TRB 5 that "bubinga" currently has up for sale.
And you could save yourself £500 squids :)
[/quote]ha.. thanks Chris.. well it is a fantastic bass and i appreciate the plug..... but imo, there are better basses that have a better deeper cut horn though... i never really understood why some makers make it hard to get up there.. like Andy said the Lakland 55's have great access to the dusty end.. check out the Mayones Jabba.. maybe a little out of your price range, but second hand its worth a punt and a haggle..

if i was in your position i would look at Ziggy's custom jazz 5... great access to any frets you want.....beautiful bass too..

Have a look at the Ibanez Soundgear range.
My dusty end is shiny & I actually use the 24th fret on the G in a couple of songs with no trouble getting all the way up there.
But again, there might be something that will suit your style better, so get a good play about.

My old Ibanez Musician 924 was accessible all the way up to the 24th without too much stretching.
A comparatively heavy bass, but beautifully put together with a real range of great tones.
You can regularly find them on EBay for around £500.

Edited by Dr H

Warwicks are very good for this. They tend to be quite musical at the top, namely the treble frequencies aren't so bright and zingy as to make soloing and chording sound vulgar. Just as important as upper fret access is an even quality of tone, where the highs are just as present and musical as the low notes. For this, Status are also excellent, their basses have a very fine, even response with great definition on the higher notes. On the other hand, most Fenders are not much use for this, nor are Musicman Stingrays.

They suffer not only from a limited number of frets, but their blocky heels get in the way of the hand, the access around the cutaway can be poor and they often suffer from uneven tones, favouring boomy low notes over sweet, crisp mids and highs. YMMV.