Why become a member? ×

which delay do you use on bass?

andydye

Am thinking about either an mxr carbon copy or a way huge aquapuss...

anyone got/used these on bass?

anyone use something else I'd be mad not to consider?

I'm looking at about £100 and like analog delay for its character, bucket brigade style!

I had a Carbon Copy and loved it. Then I got a Line 6 M9 and A-B'd the "Analog Delay w/Mod" model in it against the Carbon Copy and couldn't hear a difference at all, even the degradation of the repetitions sounded alike. So I sold it. Now I'm back to single pedals though, and if I need a delay again I'll get the same one. Aqua Puss is bigger and I use a Pedaltrain Mini so...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1325452941' post='1483350']
I had a Carbon Copy and loved it. Then I got a Line 6 M9 and A-B'd the "Analog Delay w/Mod" model in it against the Carbon Copy and couldn't hear a difference at all, even the degradation of the repetitions sounded alike. So I sold it. Now I'm back to single pedals though, and if I need a delay again I'll get the same one. Aqua Puss is bigger and I use a Pedaltrain Mini so...
[/quote]

Thanks for that mate!
Hav you tried a byoc as above?

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1325453342' post='1483355']
Have you tried a byoc as above?
[/quote]

I don't use delay on bass but I have experience of other BYOC pedals including the 'Phase 90' clone which I bought and put together in an afternoon - it is excellent. So good in fact that I sold my MXR Phase 90 :)

There's more info and sounds from the BYOC analogue delay here: [url="http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html"]http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html[/url]

I[b] really[/b] liked my Carbon Copy - until it packed up on New Years eve! :angry:

Have e-mailed Dunlop as I think it probably is out of warranty, will be interesting to see if they assist at all? Despite the fact it has failed it really has been a great pedal - I tend to use it quite subtly but it is very good at what it does and I would probably buy another. :)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1325454296' post='1483369']
it's got a big footprint, but i really like my ehx stereo memory man with hazarai.

tap tempo, the memory presets are good to have and it does sound-on-sound too.
[/quote]

This.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1325525044' post='1483960']
I also had the Memory Toy and A-B'd it with the CC, if I remember the degradation is darker and more pronounced with the CC, but the Toy has wider range, a bit more extreme. Depends what suits you best, but they are very, very similar. I sold the Toy and kept the CC.
[/quote]

Thanks matey, I'll be watching for a good price on a CC then!

i use the ehx memory boy atm! awesome little pedal although at some point im gonna change to the nova repeater but its a really good value delay as it also does vibrato and chorus so its a really usefull pedal and can be had new for like 80 quid?

and if you want tap tempo then theres the deluxe version which is about 125-40 new, and as its ehx there are some crazy sounds!

andy

I came to the realization that no matter how much I liked analog delay (real or faux) on guitar, it just didn't cut it on bass. Tape or bucket on guitar sounds amazing, but it got very muddy and unpredictable on bass.

I like the pristine, clean repeats of either a Boss DD-3, TC Electronic Flashback, and Subdecay Echobox.

If you want some craziness, check out the DMB Lunar Echo. It's all analog and I have a demo of it, check my sig for youtube channel. I should record a demo of it on bass, since it's VERY cool.

I haven't actually tried digital delays in a band setting because I don't like their sterile sound in isolation so I never bothered, but I agree that I always felt with the Memory Toy and the CC that it got a bit muddied in a band. I'd only use them in a situation where there would be very little of the other instruments, like at a song intro or quiet interlude. I just don't think delay belongs on bass other than in situations like these anyway, generally speaking...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1325552543' post='1484414']
I haven't actually tried digital delays in a band setting because I don't like their sterile sound in isolation so I never bothered, but I agree that I always felt with the Memory Toy and the CC that it got a bit muddied in a band. I'd only use them in a situation where there would be very little of the other instruments, like at a song intro or quiet interlude. I just don't think delay belongs on bass other than in situations like these anyway, generally speaking...
[/quote]

That's exactly the scenario I'm thinking of for using a little delay!

I currently use the Carbon Copy but have used the delays on the M9, the Aqua Puss, the Memory boy, the memory toy plus a whole range of other delays. For true warm, slightly smudgy ambient analog sound on a budget the CC is the best. the ehx memory boy/toy is also great but the richness of the repeats sounds more sterile than the Carbon Copy (but not as sterile as a traditional digital delay) - the subdecay echobox is great too but definitely on the pricier side.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325673717' post='1485832']
I have a TC-Electronics Nova pedal which I use in my guitar rig which is a lot of fun with a bass. Typically, I hardly use it as the only song I play with it is One of These Days (Pink Floyd)! Beyond that, I can't any other use for it!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a limited application but in the right place it should sound sweet...I can always use it with my 6 string set-up too

• 2 weeks later...