Why become a member? ×

Thankfully GAS seems to have almost ceased!

Musicman20

Since my new Musicman got sorted and the new Ray I received is perfect, all im waiting for is my Bongo which I've wanted for a few years.

I'm finally feeling like GAS is running out. The excitement/addiction of new gear is becoming less and less fulfilling now I've got some excellent equipment. It's been a mad 2 years of buying/selling and seeking new gear.

It's probably a good job, because now I can focus on just gigging and saving towards other things that life throws at us.

Does anyone else seem to have hit a wall with what they want? I'm actually really glad its happened.

Maybe its a sign of the financial difficulty many of us face. I feel I can't take risks anymore like I used to, even though my current job is safe (ish).

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1325105976' post='1479965']
Who are you and what have you done with Gareth?
[/quote]

Haha, I even try to spend less time on bass related sites now. The more I look the harder it is to resist anything new. So far, I'm quite happy to look at other 'normal' things I need/want to buy.

Yep, I reached a point in my life late this year where I know buying more gear is just pointless for what I do. In fact I've become bored with the whole gear thing. I like what I have, it does the job so I have no need to look at or lust for anything else.

Of course that probably won't last but for now my money will be going to help pay off the past mistakes.

GAS hasn't gone, and I'm not yet bored with new toys, but I have definitely reached the stage where any potential purchase is going to have the devil of a time convincing me that it's actually better than what I already have.

I find it hard to imagine something more fretless-y than a Wal Mach I ([size=1]please don't mention this to Clarky - it will only annoy him[/size]) or more Precision-y than a '66 Precision or more user-friendly than a Status Streamline.

It's been a pretty intense journey, but it is at least possible that I've reached my destination. :lol:

I will be sorted once I have the Wal fretless I am after (and sold the way heavy Corvette fretless that does my back in). If anything I will have too much gear. Whether I hang on to all of it depends on band circumstances (eg, if the acoustic quartet spin-off project of Rattlin Bone ever takes off).

I can say that I haven't bought any gear in ages and haven't had a hankering for anything substantial since I got my Yamaha BBs a year and half ago and also happily married a couple of Mesa amps. Am I cured? :o I am waiting for the Zoom B3 effects unit to be available but that's to replace something that was trashed and I'm not particularly excited about it like I would be about a new bass or amp; does that count as real GAS?

I've been in the fortunate position to have a reasonable amount of money to buy myself something recently and believe me I have trawled Ebay worldwide, Soundslive, Digital Village, GAK, Thomann and loads of others but there is hee haw that interests me.

Its a funny old game. I've had everything from A to Z (except Alembic and Zon :lol: ) and I feel that I've done it all now and want to just enjoy playing the damn things without wondering what something else would be like.

The novelty of new gear wore off for me a while ago & it hasn't come back. I much prefer playing the same bass & having money to get away rather than stay at home with 30 instruments I don't play. In the last 9 months I've gotten a case & a practice amp - both needed & both were Christmas presents. Gas is great if you like the thrill of the chase but a real pain when it just becomes habit. I don't want to return to how I was

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1325172085' post='1480528']
Gas is great if you like the thrill of the chase but a real pain when it just becomes habit. I don't want to return to how I was
[/quote]
For a moment there, I felt a chill of fear...
But...
Naah. :D

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1325172085' post='1480528']
Gas is great if you like the thrill of the chase but a real pain when it just becomes habit. I don't want to return to how I was
[/quote]

Agreed, although in my case I can't afford to do it anyway. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Very much agreed. My gas is finally done. Ironic really as I'm bass wise virtually back where I began! Hell, not far off amp wise either!
I'm hardly playing bass at all at the mo, which is probably part of it, having ended up on guitar for the first time in my life?!!!? (power chords only!) but guitars dont interest me really. Just tools to a job. I have noticed however that when I pick up a bass to noodle or play at open mic, i not only love it, but am proper on form too! Typical! Heh heh

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1325189277' post='1480803']
Very much agreed. My gas is finally done. Ironic really as I'm bass wise virtually back where I began!
[/quote]
Funny enough so am I. I went in to my current band 8 years ago with just a JV Squier P, now my main bass is a Squier CV P..........loads more debt though.