Why become a member? ×

Advice on posting a Bass without a Hardcase

algmusic

Hi,

I suggest you get a cheap but decent gig bag, some sort of cardboard box (someone suggested a bicycle box on a previous thread) and plenty of bubble wrap and 'stuffing'. I have posted several basses recently using this method, including sending one to Europe, with no problems. I would also suggest you pay for insurance with whatever carrier you use,just in case.

All the best and good luck,

Mark.

Edited by M-N-Y

Obviously depends how far it's going & how it's being sent.
Not that it's something I've done on a regular basis- but the only other option - unless you can blag some packaging from a guitar shop is gonna be so expensive you'd be as well getting a case.
I'd at least be looking at double-boxing with a layer of foam/packing about 4 inches thick between each one. I sent a Hiwatt head to the US doing that; the outer box wasn't much smaller than a coffin - and still one of the mains lights was smashed when it arrived.

Lots of bubble wrap and cardboard. When I sent PaulS a bass uncased, I got the box from our LCD TV (the stronger the better), wrapped it as tightly as possible so the bass wouldn't have space to move about. The neck was then wrapped in bubble wrap to support it (don't detune it either), and the box was stuffed with void fill. Sealed that box, then formed another box around it and as Paul worded it in my feedback, it was something along the lines of "It was packed to withstand a direct hit from a cruise missile).

I did this a while ago. All the suggestions above but I also rolled up two long lengths of cardboard the full length of the neck. Wrap some card around the neck and then tape these roles of cardboard to either side of the neck. All I know is the bass arrived in one piece. Just gives a bit of extra strength to the neck and some more peace of mind to you.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1325023918' post='1479281']
I'm currently selling by bass and I'm usually of the mind that if I don't have a spare hardcase, I won't post it.

So I ask two questions:[list=1]
[*]Am I right?
[*]Or is there a safe way to post a bass without a hardcase or a cheapish way of doing it?
[/list]
[/quote]

1. if it's under £500 or so why not. Over £500 it starts to get to the point where picking up a secondhand case to send it in makes sense. Stick £30 on the price and find something second hand.
2. easy way:ask a shop for the box that fender or whoever post their basses out in.
hard way get box from bike shop. Wrap gig bag in cardboard, in a self constructed tight box. place that in big box with either bubble wrap or something to keep the inside box away from the edges of the outside box.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325025376' post='1479300']
1. if it's under £500 or so why not. Over £500 it starts to get to the point where picking up a secondhand case to send it in makes sense. Stick £30 on the price and find something second hand.
2. easy way:ask a shop for the box that fender or whoever post their basses out in.
hard way get box from bike shop. Wrap gig bag in cardboard, in a self constructed tight box. place that in big box with either bubble wrap or something to keep the inside box away from the edges of the outside box.

[/quote]

I'm would definitely post it with insurance like I have when I posted a bass cab this year. I'm selling the bass for £380..

Eubassix posted my two Godlykes over without a hardcase. Necks removed, everything meticulously bubble wrapped and labelled and all fitting into a box easily managable for even the laziest delivery guy. In truth, probably the safest any instrument has ever been getting posted overseas to here.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1325025974' post='1479316']
I'm would definitely post it with insurance like I have when I posted a bass cab this year. I'm selling the bass for £380..
[/quote]

I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure I've read several times on here that musical instruments like guitars are [u][b]not[/b][/u] covered by the insurance that you can purchase from couriers. You'll pay for the cover at the time of booking, but you'll come unstuck when you try to claim.

Read the list of exclusions very carefully, and maybe contact the courier direct to ascertain exactly what is covered. Like most insurance companies, they'll try their hardest to not pay out.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325031489' post='1479371']
I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure I've read several times on here that musical instruments like guitars are [u][b]not[/b][/u] covered by the insurance that you can purchase from couriers. You'll pay for the cover at the time of booking, but you'll come unstuck when you try to claim.

Read the list of exclusions very carefully, and maybe contact the courier direct to ascertain exactly what is covered. Like most insurance companies, they'll try their hardest to not pay out.
[/quote]

I agree you have to check the fine print.. some do, some don't

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325025942' post='1479315']
You can get a hard case from new for as little as £50.
I'd be inclined to stick £25 onto the asking price of the bass towards a case and sending it safely that way.
[/quote]

+1 to this.

I use Parcel2go.com to send the basses I sell, and in their terms and conditions it states that musical instruments won`t be covered for insurance unless posted in a hard-case. I suspect many others have this in their "small print". Definately worth checking out.

First, seperate body and neck (only for bolt-ons!)
Wrap body in bubble wrap and a layer or high density foam (bought as off-cuts from my local haberdashers - 50p for all you can carry!)
[attachment=95885:P1011666.JPG]

Place neck in cardbard tube also from haberdashers for the price of 0p

[attachment=95884:P1011669.JPG]

Wrap head in bubble wrap and more foam and place in shoe box.
Gaffa the shoe box to the tube.

[attachment=95886:P1011670.JPG]

Place tube inside box you've now put the body in and gaffa the lot together.
Stick on address and draw on moustache, smile and eyes with Tipp-ex and voila!

One very well packaged bass at a total cost of some bubble-wrap and a roll of Gaffa.

[attachment=95887:P1011675.JPG]

Just remember that with 99.9% of couriers, if it isn't double-boxed, the insurance you paid for isn't valid (they'll take your money and assume you read the notes on packaging). A hard case counts as one of the boxes, a soft case doesn't. And even then check the small print as some carriers explicitly exclude musical instruments...

ficelles

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1325023918' post='1479281']
I'm currently selling by bass and I'm usually of the mind that if I don't have a spare hardcase, I won't post it.

So I ask two questions:[list=1]
[*]Am I right?
[*]Or is there a safe way to post a bass without a hardcase or a cheapish way of doing it?
[/list]
[/quote]

A hard case will protect from direct impacts... but a bass in a hard case can still get damaged by dropping it etc if the energy gets transferred to the instrument inside... so always think of ways to absorb the energy of impacts: lots of buble wrap, cardboard boxes that can crumple leaving the bass inside untouched... etc.
I use guitar boxes from music shops. If you go and ask, they usually get rid of them and they normally have a few to choose from. Do it in advance. I like double boxing: they often have a small box that goes inside a bigger heavier box. Put the bass inside teh first one, bubblewrapped, then put box in second one with lots of bubblewrap or cardboard, foam, etc.
If you use a hard case, great, but don't assume that is enough... put lots of bubblewrap inside so that the bass does not move at all and if the case is dropped the impact gets absorbed by packaging rather than being transmitted to the bass.