Why become a member? ×

Things you play for money

Dom in Dorset

The Fast Food Rockers song is one that I've had to learn for a pantomime after Christmas. On the good side, it's the most challenging thing I've ever done (lots of sight reading and playing stuff that's outside my comfort zone) , I get to play in a 9 piece band, the band is hidden in a covered orchestra pit and I'm getting paid.

Many years ago our musical theatre group was hired by a local Vauxhall showroom to put on a cabaret for the launch of thier new model - the Vauxhall Chevette. I have to stress I was only 16 at the time - I'm not *that* old.

Anyway, we did a number to 'Everythings Coming Up Roses', and we had to sing 'Everythings coming up Vauxhalls!' Really cringey. Also, we had to learn and sing the Vauxhall Chevette song. I still remember how it goes:

Whatever you do, wherever you are
Go anywhere 'cos it's your kind of car
The Vauxhall Chevette is whatever you want it to be!

A sporty coupe, a family saloon
Whatever you want, because you call the tune
The Vauxhall Chevette is whatever you want it to BEEEE!!!

Really cheesy stuff. But we did get to wear fishnet tights and shiny waistcoats and pose on the bonnets of the cars. (And that was just the fellas, lol :lol: )

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1324428529' post='1474263']
....I recently depped for a band hired to play a birthday gig. And flatly refused to play the birthday boy's request for 'Zombie' by the Cranberries. I'd like know that I can leave each gig with at least some integrity intact....
[/quote]
[size=4]But you didn'![/size]

[size=4]I bet you still took the money though? [/size]

I recently depped for a band hired to play a birthday gig. And flatly refused to play the birthday boy's request for 'Zombie' by the Cranberries. I'd like know that I can leave each gig with at least some integrity intact.
[/quote]

You can be safe in the knowledge that you probably left that gig looking like an unprofessional prima donna tit.

First band I played in had two girl singers. It was 1998. the Spice Girls still had a career. When I joined, "Wannabe" was already in the set list. I voiced my concerns that it probably wouldn't go down to well in some of the more "select" venues. Sure enough, first time we played it, everyone in the pub was like this at the end.. :blink:
That song survived two more gigs before it was dropped. All I remember about playing that song is trying not to make eye contact with any of the punters, and dying inside...

I recently depped for a band hired to play a birthday gig. And flatly refused to play the birthday boy's request for 'Zombie' by the Cranberries. I'd like know that I can leave each gig with at least some integrity intact.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wrong thread Jaco.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]" Things you play for Money"[/font][/color]

Years ago in a Function band , before our main set of the night , we had accompany the Stage Manager's wife for the 'Kiddies Hour' music .

Think 'Hilda Baker on an old Hammond' - that's what it was like .

All the kids dancing to 'Knees up Mother Brown' etc , and the all time classic - 'The Birdies Song' .

I've played that number maybe half a dozen times , and that's about 5 times too many .

But , we got paid , it is sort of expected from a Holiday camp band (even one just in for the night , as we were) to play stuff like this if asked , and we got off with a few of the Red coats after . So a result all round :gas:

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1324513542' post='1475208']
'Simply the Bes't for 4 fecking years as an encore.

F-O-U-R F-E-C-K-I-N-G-Y-E-A-R-S I said............u-u-g-g-g-h-h-h-...

of course now I don't play it, but.... the devil awaits my soul in return.....
[/quote]
I feel your pain