Why become a member? ×

Lakland Bob Glaub w. Villex Mods

martthebass

[quote name='Adee' post='176200' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:47 PM']Nice to meet you Mart

Well so far so good, picked the Lakland up Saturday and did it first gig Saturday night !
A full 1 1/2 hour set straright through as well, so no messing about!

I found the bass comfortable and didnt notice the extra weight
The Villex pup is superb, nice and clear and plenty of tonal adjustment
Once I got the hang of how it all works and alters the sound its superb
I found it very punchy and with the mid boost could alter the amount of 'attack' to my sound

All in all I'm very pleased, probably do a back to back with my P-Bass at some point . . . . . . . but I might have a Fender USA P-Bass with S1 in Butterscotch, black scratchplate and Maple neck up for sale soon.[/quote]

Hi Adee, glad to see you like the electronics.

Reading the thread I felt like an artist at an auction where his picture is sold. Weird since I just sell the pickups, not make them. GreeneKing must have been feeling even more of the same... though how he could let this bass go is beyond me :)

Edited by Villex_Europe

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gareth' post='184886' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:12 PM']Hi

Is this the same bass????

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-Bob-Glaub-Precision-P-Bass-w-Villex-Pick-up_W0QQitemZ260233890850QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-Bob-Glaub-Pr...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

"Now gone to a better home (and better bassist)"![/quote]

This bass has had more owners in a month than I've had new Precisions in the same period :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='184938' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:20 PM']This bass has had more owners in a month than I've had new Precisions in the same period :huh:[/quote]

You've had a period? :)

Si

Tis most strange indeed. The BG is as we all know a great bass. The Villex pups are excellent and the Tone booster does an excellent job of, well, boosting the tone.

I've heard this bass in a live situation as a member of the audience and it sounded superb.

If it wasn't for my Warmoth ACG I'd still be the proud owner.

Hey ho!

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='184942' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:28 PM']Tis most strange indeed.[/quote]

No disrespect to the 'last' BC owner of the bass but it shouldn't really come as such a shock :huh:

It was [b]mad[/b] cheap on here and TBH even I considered that it would have been worth more on eBay than it sold for on BC. Regardless of whether the BCer bought it and didn't get on with it or bought it to have a blast then turn it round for more than they paid for it, they paid the asking price and parted with their cash... to put it up for sale to the world at large (not just our little community) and get a respectable price could maybe be a salutary lesson to us all!

I just hope a Basschatter didn't buy it :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='184953' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:39 PM']No disrespect to the 'last' BC owner of the bass but it shouldn't really come as such a shock ;)

It was [b]mad[/b] cheap on here and TBH even I considered that it would have been worth more on eBay than it sold for on BC. Regardless of whether the BCer bought it and didn't get on with it or bought it to have a blast then turn it round for more than they paid for it, they paid the asking price and parted with their cash... to put it up for sale to the world at large (not just our little community) and get a respectable price could maybe be a salutary lesson to us all!

I just hope a Basschatter didn't buy it :huh:[/quote]

Exactly :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='184954' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:42 PM']Exactly :)[/quote]

I bought this bass with the full intention of selling my USA P-Bass but i love my Fender P too much
I like my Fender neck and the basic easy to get sound

I said to Mart at the time I was only going to keep one or 'tuther

I've done 4 gigs with the Lakland, thats approx 6 hours 'on stage' thats a fair blast !
There is nothing wrong with the bass at all the Villex is great but I suppose its more of a 'Ray tone than a P

. . . and I know the price is higher than I paid, but hey I've got to try it on to start with, is it a sin?
has anyone else ever bought a bass and sold it for more ? :huh:

Edited by Adee

[quote name='Adee' post='184965' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:16 AM']I bought this bass with the full intention of selling my USA P-Bass but i love my Fender P too much
I like my Fender neck and the basic easy to get sound

I said to Mart at the time I was only going to keep one or 'tuther

I've done 4 gigs with the Lakland, thats approx 6 hours 'on stage' thats a fair blast !
There is nothing wrong with the bass at all the Villex is great but I suppose its more of a 'Ray tone than a P

. . . and I know the price is higher than I paid, but hey I've got to try it on to start with, is it a sin?
has anyone else ever bought a bass and sold it for more ? :huh:[/quote]

If I sold a bass to someone and they decided to sell it on at a higher price, it's completely up to them- fair play I say.

If the market is there to justify a higher price than you bought it for, good luck to you!! You shouldn't feel ahsamed of doing it.

Maybe buy Mart a beer though with the proceeds. I'm sure he won't say no to the offer!! :)

[quote name='Adee' post='184965' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:16 AM']. . . and I know the price is higher than I paid, but hey I've got to try it on to start with, is it a sin?
has anyone else ever bought a bass and sold it for more ? :)[/quote]

Didn't see you offer it back on here for what you paid for it though, even if only for a day or two before it goes on the bay for a couple of hundred quid higher. Plenty of guys who were interested in this bass at the time you bought it but didn't have the cash might have had the cash by the time you realised you didn't like it?
Like the guys above said, not a sin, but not especially community spirited either.
Chris

I was a bit embarrassed, its been through 3 or 4 people in as many weeks
Thats got to get the alarm bells ringing, so I thought I'd put it on Ebay rather than
have little or no interest here. I certainly wasnt going to put it on ebay for £500 !

The common factor here is that everyone who has owned this bass, have Fender P-Basses
and this Lakland is NOT a P-Bass anymore to my ears

If anyone is interested in the bass drop me a PM
Toasted has offered some interest but havent heard from him again

[quote name='obbm' post='185044' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:20 AM']Seeing as you are not putting it back to original are you going to sell me back the Lindy Fralin?[/quote]

I'm going to try it in my Fender P-Bass first, you can have it back if I don't keep it in there

Ade

As the 'last but one' owner of this bass, a few comments:

1. I have no problem with Ade trying to make a profit - the market is the market.
2. There is nothing fundamentally 'wrong' with this bass. It didn't work for me 'is all.
3. The money from this bass was used for the purchase of a Ray4 from a fellow BC'er at a 'BC market price' as opposed to a 'ebay market price'. If I hadn't bought the BG I could have saved a little cash but we all have to learn lessons in life

If I had had more time I would have probably sold the bass on the bay for £500-550 (I'd be surprised if it makes £625 - but y'never know) but I needed a back up bass quickly so.............

In terms of forum 'spirit', that's down to individuals I guess, I generally try to do deals on the forum and also give BC'ers first crack of anything I want to sell. However in the current market I believe it is true that you could probably get more for some basses by selling on ebay. Ade's a decent guy and I don't believe he had the intention of doing a 'Dave1066' and flipping at a profit, however I hope this doesn't become a pattern in general for BC deals or members may reconsider offering on this forum first. This would be a shame because it allows good basses to come into the hands of enthusiasts who otherwise may struggle to afford the level of quality gear that goes thru our collective hands.

Now back to the day job................

[quote name='Adee' post='185041' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:12 AM']Toasted has offered some interest but havent heard from him again[/quote]

Hello, I was interested at £450 or whatever it sold for last time, and I've been looking for a way to plat straw and work soemthing out. I maybe should have pm'd you back . . . But there's noway I can do it at £625, thanks anyway and good luck with ebay (and don't forget those fees!) :)

Joe.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='185176' date='Apr 25 2008, 11:18 AM']Hello, I was interested at £450 or whatever it sold for last time[/quote]

I rest my case :)

Ade, you said you wouldn't list it for £500, as if that would be too low. Why not, it's more than you paid after all....?
This forum's too full of guys on the make now. The mods criticise/remove posts that point out the obvious (e.g. that a bass is overpriced or is being sold on at a profit), whilst not protecting the basis of the forum itself, i.e., a service for the BC community.

Shame, used to be full of good guys who knew what it was about :huh: .

Chris

I find this bit confusing

[quote name='Adee' post='185041' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:12 AM']The common factor here is that everyone who has owned this bass, have Fender P-Basses
and this Lakland is NOT a P-Bass anymore to my ears[/quote]

but on the ebay listing it says

"I'm offering a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub with Villex Pickup with 4 position mid switch and Villex rotary tone boost, really adds another dimension to the Precision sound while retaining the classic passive P bass tone as well"

(key word here being "retaining")

so which one is it?

[quote name='Beedster' post='185605' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:48 PM']I rest my case :)

Ade, you said you wouldn't list it for £500, as if that would be too low. Why not, it's more than you paid after all....?
This forum's too full of guys on the make now. The mods criticise/remove posts that point out the obvious (e.g. that a bass is overpriced or is being sold on at a profit), whilst not protecting the basis of the forum itself, i.e., a service for the BC community.

Shame, used to be full of good guys who knew what it was about :huh: .

Chris[/quote]

Spot on.

I don't quite get this people!

This bass sat on this forum for weeks and was reduced time and time again... no one put their hand in their pocket and bought it. We all expressed interest and wished that it was this or that but at the end of the day someone pulled the folding stuff out and did what no one else had done, they bought it. What happens after that is pretty much immaterial!

I'd have serious doubts about putting something back on here after it had been passed back and forth between 3/4 owners in as many weeks and had seen a price fall of £150+ in that time... it starts to look like a Jonah and would seem to be a waste of time and effort putting it back on BC, no body wanted it when it had 3/4 careful owners, who the f*ck would be serious about it after 4/5 owners?

It's not like we are talking about some one post wonder who has snagged a bargain on ebay and then tried to flip a quick profit on here. This bass was offered to one and all for a v e r y long time and we all passed it up.

Let it rest.

[quote name='Adee' post='185048' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:38 AM']I'm going to try it in my Fender P-Bass first, you can have it back if I don't keep it in there

Ade[/quote]

The only reason I sold it was so it could go back into the BG where it came from and make it back to a P. I sincerely hope it doesn't end up on eBay.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='185667' date='Apr 26 2008, 12:31 AM']I don't quite get this people!

This bass sat on this forum for weeks and was reduced time and time again... no one put their hand in their pocket and bought it. We all expressed interest and wished that it was this or that but at the end of the day someone pulled the folding stuff out and did what no one else had done, they bought it. What happens after that is pretty much immaterial!

I'd have serious doubts about putting something back on here after it had been passed back and forth between 3/4 owners in as many weeks and had seen a price fall of £150+ in that time... it starts to look like a Jonah and would seem to be a waste of time and effort putting it back on BC, no body wanted it when it had 3/4 careful owners, who the f*ck would be serious about it after 4/5 owners?

It's not like we are talking about some one post wonder who has snagged a bargain on ebay and then tried to flip a quick profit on here. This bass was offered to one and all for a v e r y long time and we all passed it up.

Let it rest.[/quote]

This isn't totally accurate. I bought the bass after it had been up 2 days and sold it within a week(ish).

[quote name='martthebass' post='185804' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:34 AM']This isn't totally accurate. I bought the bass after it had been up 2 days and sold it within a week(ish).[/quote]

I wasn't directing my comment at you or anyone in particular and I was just generalising about that bass. Peter had it up for a while, gradually dropping the price, then Mark had it up for a short while, then yourself with the price gradually dropping etc. It did 'seem like' that bass was on here from start to finish for quite some time and people weren't selling limbs to get it regardless of how much the price was reduced.

I'm not siding with anyone on this issue. I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate and point out that it just happened to be one of 'those' basses (and we've had a few) that people haven't settled on and they are generally good basses with nothing wrong with them. However if a bass is going to skulk around on here like a kicked dog it may as well be put on eBay and find an owner elsewhere. At any given time in that basses time among its various owners, one of them could have stuck it on eBay but no one did. That's a choice that people made for whatever reason.

TBH had I been struggling to sell a bass on here and someone had taken it off me, stuck it on eBay and made a profit I'd be applauding them. At the end of the day I'd have gotten the price that I had offered it at :)

The point about any deal re. the pup for the bass, is a separate issue that I'm not familiar with.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='185826' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:08 AM']I wasn't directing my comment at you or anyone in particular and I was just generalising about that bass. Peter had it up for a while, gradually dropping the price, then Mark had it up for a short while, then yourself with the price gradually dropping etc. It did 'seem like' that bass was on here from start to finish for quite some time and people weren't selling limbs to get it regardless of how much the price was reduced.

I'm not siding with anyone on this issue. I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate and point out that it just happened to be one of 'those' basses (and we've had a few) that people haven't settled on and they are generally good basses with nothing wrong with them. However if a bass is going to skulk around on here like a kicked dog it may as well be put on eBay and find an owner elsewhere. At any given time in that basses time among its various owners, one of them could have stuck it on eBay but no one did. That's a choice that people made for whatever reason.

TBH had I been struggling to sell a bass on here and someone had taken it off me, stuck it on eBay and made a profit I'd be applauding them. At the end of the day I'd have gotten the price that I had offered it at :)

The point about any deal re. the pup for the bass, is a separate issue that I'm not familiar with.[/quote]

No offense taken WH and TBH in general I agree with you.
On this occasion, had I had the time I would have ebayed it rather than reducing the price. It's a shame that this bass has not found a loving owner, I think that this can be general problem with 'modded' basses. If ths bass hadn't sold here I would've probably had the LF pup (which was offered at a very reasonable price) and taken it back to standard.

I would also be interested in it for 450, god knows i've been interested in it since it was first advertised... but I don't want to spend any of the money Smash has given me for his SB-2 until it is safely in his hands.

I want a P and I would like to get another SR4 so this seems perfect for me!

But I really am not going to pay more than you paid for it Ade, otherwise it's bad karma for the forum tbh, more so than it is already.

I'm aware that I might be considered one of the guys on the make since I really enjoy trying out new gear and passing on deals (although I do occasionally post in the main forums), but I havn't made money on any of the deals i've had up here appart from the Aguilar GS212... that was on ebay and litterally a couple of quid after I offered it here at the price I bought it not inc what I gave bigmac for delivery.

The bass aint for sale at £450 !
I paid £470 and it cost me £30 fuel to collect it, hence the £500 - Thats if the price I paid actually has anything to do with anyone apart from Mart and myself, thank you very much

The bass has been passed from pillar to post on this forum and I thought it best to put it out of its misery on Ebay. Yes the initial price was a bit hefty but why should I give it away? I can't afford to keep it hanging around as I said before I was to sell the Fender to fund the Lakky.

This is the typical Bassworld / Basschat person bashing that gives this forum a bad reputation, I actually think some you you get off on it.

As for the Fralin pup, its going in my Fender P-Bass for now until I decide what I am doing with it.