Why become a member? ×

Why play a 6 string

Golchen

I have two six strings and a 4 string acoustic. I take the 4 string to acoustic nights and such, but when I play it I really miss the low B.

I use the High C to play chords, and to play guitar parts in the contect of a 3 piece band. I think that it works quite well. My High C certainly doesn't sound like a cheap imitation guitar, but I have a slightly unusual set-up.

I don't NEED any more than my E and A strings to play "bass lines". I sold my 4 string because I can play the 6 string just as easily, and it provides me with flexibility.

RE: Alex - You can't play 5 string chords on a 4 string bass!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='167584' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:14 PM']I use the High C to play chords, and to play guitar parts in the contect of a 3 piece band.[/quote]
Ah - so thats why Cream were such a crap band, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They were all 3 piece bands that did not have a bass player chording on a C string.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='167609' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:36 PM']Ah - so thats why Cream were such a crap band, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They were all 3 piece bands that did not have a bass player chording on a C string.[/quote]

No need to be flippant.

Jimi Hendrix Experience IMHO sound crap. They have great songs, fantastic ability, fiendish riffs, and very cool tone, but the overall sound is thin. If they were around today, i'm sure Jimi would be begging me to come and sort out the sound. ( :) )

Anyway, bass distortion and harmonies would have helped this, not extra strings.

I occasionally play a 2nd guitar part in some more chilled out sections of music, or where the bottom end isn't required. God knows why people are talking about retaining the low end on a high C string. It's a high string!

I have no conceptual problems with ERBs, I just haven't been moved emotionally by any music played on one.

I know all the theory about chords on the higher strings/frets but, compared to the expressive potential of a guitar, the music offered by ERBists has failed to float my boat. I have a 6-string Status Energy (I think) but it stays on the wall most of the time (am considering a swap for a commensurate five). I can't seem to make it sing.

But I am confident, as the instrument finds its voice, that someone will do something wonderful and make beautiful music on one of these beasts. Then us 4-string nazis will have to eat humble pie!

Maybe it'll be someone here.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='165664' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:21 AM']To all you guys who play a 6 string (or 7) - why do you like the extra string(s)?[/quote]
After soley using a 6 string for years, I have switched to 5 strings, purely because the low B didn't get a lot of use. I have a fretted and fretless both strung with a high c.

Do I use that high c a lot!? Honestly, not really for what you might see as traditional bass work. It tends to get used in my own music for playing chords and when I'm playing changes I like having the C.

I personally don't have a problem with anyone using a bass with any number of strings, as long as they use them well.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='167633' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:59 PM']God knows why people are talking about retaining the low end on a high C string. It's a high string![/quote]

Indeed. If we wanted all our notes to have the same amount of bottom then we'd be kickdrummists, not bassists.

Alex

I'm sort of with bilbo on the ERB side of things, I don't have a problem at all with players that use them, perhaps it's early days for 6+ string basses, hats off to players who understand chords and theory in the higher register.....any register for that matter, cos I sure as hell don't (wish I did) but I haven't seen or heard much by an ERB player that grabs me, makes me want to buy his/her album or see them live.

[quote name='bassmandan' post='167706' date='Apr 1 2008, 03:30 PM']I think it was Dave Kilminster who summed it up quite nicely by saying something along the lines of:

"why sound like two crap [bass] guitarists when you can sound like one good one?"

[/quote]

MB1. :)

PURE CLASS! :huh:

i use four strings cos i like my four strings. my dad has a five string that i get along with fine, but i find 've only ever used the fifth string for one song, and then i could have used it on four strings its just less moving about. i don't feel the need for five strings, never mind six or seven. i realise that I'm not the first to say this, am im sure im not going to be the last, but jaco only used four strings. im not saying dont have a go on a six string, or that six strings are pointless, im just saying i dont need them and that IMO, you can get along fine with four. but i just want to make it clear that other people may find it useful and so if they need six strings, then thats fine by me, and im not having a go at six string players.

+1 with Bilbo's first post.

I also get a little bitter about seeing clearly very talented musicians and technicians sounding a bit silly on a low-register electric fretted instrument when they could be virtuoso pianists etc.

+more mean stuff I wont say.

Tom's use seems sensible. Any specific songs where this use is noticeable?

I used one live for 2 years but just changed back to a 5. As i play in a duo and use backing tracks, the high c was cool, cos i used to do guitar type solos with distortion, and it worked well for what we do. People would ask what is that your playing a guitar or bass?? made me laugh! all fun i guess.

[quote name='paul, the' post='169467' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:43 PM']+1 with Bilbo's first post.

I also get a little bitter about seeing clearly very talented musicians and technicians sounding a bit silly on a low-register electric fretted instrument when they could be virtuoso pianists etc.

+more mean stuff I wont say.

Tom's use seems sensible. Any specific songs where this use is noticeable?[/quote]

As in me?

on the [url="http://www.myspace.com/nologorock"]myspace[/url] there are two songs in particular "ghosts" and "fake smiles in the photograph" I think you could download them from [url="http://www.no-logo.co.uk"]no-logo.co.uk[/url]. In ghosts, it has a chilled out chorus with some 4 string chords, they could probably be done on a 4 string in some position quite high up. In Fake Smiles, in the chorus, I play 5 string barred chords, and then theres a "break down" which includes notes which are higher than you can get on a 4 or standard 5. Also, in Fake smiles I use the bottom string quite a bit so that song deffinitely requires a 6 string - but it doesn't sound like it's a 6 string (or a good bassist) it's just quite standard rock music.

Edited by cheddatom

I prefer my fours for fast funk playing, but my TRB-6 has definitely found it's place. It's great for jazz noodling, or playing in big bands/musical theatre where there are a lot of awkward keys to get around (due to the wind & brass) you can work across the board with more strings to play with, instead of sliding up and down the neck so much. I've also found it's a great alternative to my Triumph upright or any of my double basses. With a completely different tonal pallette and huge extra range.

Whereas every 5 I've owned has been sold, I love my 6! Just makes perfect sense... To me, anyway!

[quote name='lwtait' post='169408' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:21 PM']i realise that I'm not the first to say this, am im sure im not going to be the last, but jaco only used four strings.[/quote]
And Nelson only used sailing ships and muzzle-loading cannon, and Fangio only used front-engined cars.

Some of us have no desire to emulate Jaco. In fact, some [1] of us haven't even heard him...

[1] Or is it just me?

[quote name='tauzero' post='169704' date='Apr 4 2008, 11:40 AM']Some of us have no desire to emulate Jaco. In fact, some [1] of us haven't even heard him...[/quote]

He really is worth listening to!

And those that say he only played four strings are wrong. Jaco had a five string acoustic bass guitar made for him:

"1974 acoustic bass guitar

Jaco and luthier Larry Breslin co-designed a fretless, 5-string acoustic bass guitar with a high C string; upon completion, Jaco paid Breslin $500. It featured a 34"-scale neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with maple veneer fretmarkers, Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. Jaco strung it with Rotosound roundwounds. In later years, the headstock broke off and Jaco brought the bass to Kaufman. He still has it."

Alex

To be honest, the only answer we need to the OP question "Why play a 6 string, or a 7?" is:[quote name='metaltime' post='169648' date='Apr 4 2008, 09:56 AM']why the hell not[/quote] Some people love 'em, others don't. Nobody should have to justify playing one if they want to play one.
I simply fail to understand why so many people seem to be quite so anti-ERB (or for that matter, anti-4string). At the end of the day, surely we all play music because we love doing so, not because we think it's clever? Can't we all just get along?:)

[size=1]If anyone wants me, I'll be in the corner playing a George Harrison album and going "om".[/size]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='169724' date='Apr 4 2008, 12:07 PM']And those that say he only played four strings are wrong. Jaco had a five string acoustic bass guitar made for him:[/quote]

ok. he also used fretted jazzes but when you think jaco (or at least, when i do) i always think fretless jazz bass. thats what he's most famous for.

[quote name='tauzero' post='169704' date='Apr 4 2008, 11:40 AM']And Nelson only used sailing ships and muzzle-loading cannon, and Fangio only used front-engined cars.

Some of us have no desire to emulate Jaco. In fact, some [1] of us haven't even heard him...

[1] Or is it just me?[/quote]

i have no desire at all to copy jaco, and thats not what i meant by my post. all i'm saying is that most would regard him as one of the best bass players ever and he got on fine with a four string. seriously though, if you've never heard jaco, listen to him. his music's not the kind of thing i'd listen to, but he's still a great bassist.

[quote name='lwtait' post='169892' date='Apr 4 2008, 04:35 PM']seriously though, if you've never heard jaco, listen to him. his music's not the kind of thing i'd listen to, but he's still a great bassist.[/quote]

Don't you think that sounds a bit silly? You should seriously listen to this crap that I don't really like!

I have 2 Jaco albums, and they're both a bit crap, with one or two excellent peices on each. I think they're compilations.

I remember as a youngster I loved my Mum's "weather Report" Lp.