Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1329766430' post='1547037']
I've been looking for a new audio interface, and specifically looking at the Focusrite Saffire USB 6. However, I noticed that this could also be used as an interface. Is that right? And if so, would you guys recommend it instead of the Focusrite?
[/quote]

I'm using mine as one and it's fine, but it is only used to input bass, no MIDI or mic inputs so could be a bit less flexible then a dedicated unit.

I believe the Zoom is only 16 bit, where most dedicated recorders these days are 24 bit.
If sound quality is ultimately an issue, it might not be the best bet.
Having said that, I can't really hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit...

Eude

Got mine last night - had a 40 minute play.

On the B2, you had two areas of patches - one for user patches and one for preset patches. Having a quick look around on this last night it seems you have to overwrite the presets to save your own patches - have I got that right?

Thanks
Chris

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1329810487' post='1547585']
Got mine last night - had a 40 minute play.

On the B2, you had two areas of patches - one for user patches and one for preset patches. Having a quick look around on this last night it seems you have to overwrite the presets to save your own patches - have I got that right?

Thanks
Chris
[/quote]

Yes. In fact, if you change anything on a patch it saves it automatically so there's no actual saving to be done at all, unless you want to move or swap a patch.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1329812802' post='1547613']
Ah, thank you. So it'll be pretty easy to overwrite a patch youve spent hours tweaking by mistake!?
[/quote]

Not really, to overwrite a patch you need to go into the store/swap menu, then select the patch to overwrite/swap, etc. If you never use the store/swap facility (like me) then the last settings for each patch will just be there when you go back to it.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1329831514' post='1548033']
Hm, I'm not getting this! I'll have a fiddle tonight.

So If I have a factory preset that I really like and then fiddle with it a bit - the B3 automatically saves my tweakings, so I'll have to re-load the preset via a factory reset or using the PC/Mac software?
[/quote]

That does seem to be the case, it's like real pedals there isn't an 'undo' function, I've started saving patches I've made and like on to the computer so if I tweak them but don't like the changes I can get my original back.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1329831789' post='1548042']
I've started saving patches I've made and like on to the computer so if I tweak them but don't like the changes I can get my original back.
[/quote]

Can you save/load patches singly, or do you have to dump the lot in one go? :D

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1329933357' post='1550017']
I got a Moog EP-2 expression pedal today. Unless you can rescale things you get about 5mm of travel before hitting the max...

<_<
[/quote]

have a look in the total settings (the one for each individual patch), you can rescale the XP pedal travel there

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1329935275' post='1550057']
have a look in the total settings (the one for each individual patch), you can rescale the XP pedal travel there
[/quote]

As far as I can tell that just sets the maximum effect level. e.g. Don't open/close a filter fully, but stop at say 75%.
So you have 5mm before hitting the 75% limit.

Not read the maximum exp. input value as maximum effect level.

If you get what I mean...

I had the same problem, so ordered a Zoom expression pedal from Thomann. Another annoyance is that there's only one socket so you can connect either an expression or tap tempo pedal but not both. Might see if I can build a mini tap tempo pedal with expression thru jack and extra footswitch to change modes.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329950516' post='1550422']
I had the same problem, so ordered a Zoom expression pedal from Thomann. Another annoyance is that there's only one socket so you can connect either an expression or tap tempo pedal but not both. Might see if I can build a mini tap tempo pedal with expression thru jack and extra footswitch to change modes.
[/quote]

Thought that night be the case.

Interesting idea too, will be interested to see if that works...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1329935521' post='1550069']
As far as I can tell that just sets the maximum effect level. e.g. Don't open/close a filter fully, but stop at say 75%.
So you have 5mm before hitting the 75% limit.

Not read the maximum exp. input value as maximum effect level.

If you get what I mean...
[/quote]

ye, I see what you mean, that's a shame, Is there no adjustment you can make on the pedal?

I've spent a decent amount of time with now and can honestly say I'm astounded by how good this thing is for 150 quid.

Knocks spots off the B2 and I personally think it's a better unit that the GT10-B I had. Sure, I've got wonderful board of individual pedals and it doesnt come close (but it costs a tenth of the price!). But Christ, in a live situation, I reckon this is pretty much the perfect tool for 90% of the gigging covers bassists out there who want a little more than a cable.

I'd pay £150 for Miller and Fliptop presets alone.

I reckon the B3 is a game changer. Easy to use, quiet, sounds amazing (IMHO), software is almost perfect - and it's so simple in a live situ.