Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

Is it not the case that novelty value wears thin?? Like Viz not being as funny as it used to be?

Off topic...... well , for me the fun around here is that somebody's 19 years old, lives in Devon and is playing professionally and somebody else is 63 from Glasgow and just learning , we might be girls or boys or English or Spanish and some are rich and some are poor and some are wrong and I am right etc etc. Bit of diversity going on but with this common link. No two of us are the sane but we all like basses.

I do think several off topics have been unjustly pulled. Personally , and from experience , anything I've been involved in is more likely to spawn a conciliatory PM before a row gets out of hand. I've had plenty and sent some too. Very British trait , apologising all the time.

Having said that I'm not the one who has to look at an evolving thread and decide BEFORE it gets out of hand when to pull the plug.

So far as the other forums - well ,they're so much less likely to result in slanging matches aren;t they. Sure , folk might do the 'I like a Precision better then a Jazz' thing and vice versa but it's hardly likely to result in somebody smashing said instrument over the others head.,

Besides the Jazz would just splinter into harmless bits. :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1322088764' post='1446508']
Well, at time of writing there's a net two users who would rather click on a down arrow than have a conversation with you.

Negative rep for expressing an opinion which is neither objectionable or anti-social. Way to go, whoever you are.
[/quote]

Whoops. I've just pressed the down button to see what it'll do only to realise that I've given neepheid the thumbs down. Sorry mate! Good thing we're not using live ammo or something. How do you undo this?

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1322228699' post='1448260']
Whoops. I've just pressed the down button to see what it'll do only to realise that I've given neepheid the thumbs down. Sorry mate! Good thing we're not using live ammo or something. How do you undo this?
[/quote]

Find someone who dislikes what Neepheid said and ask them not to press his down button.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1322181942' post='1447783']
BC is just a little bit more grown up without him. :)
[/quote]

It is. I'm still torn about the bloke's worth on BC though. He did make me laugh, and gave us permission to view things from odd and very often exquisitely offensive angles. He said one thing regarding rape that did anger me, so I just quietly dipped out for a while and when I came back.... no Beef.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1322230209' post='1448290']
It is. I'm still torn about the bloke's worth on BC though. He did make me laugh, and gave us permission to view things from odd and very often exquisitely offensive angles. He said one thing regarding rape that did anger me, so I just quietly dipped out for a while and when I came back.... no Beef.
[/quote]

I used to enjoy following a thread and gleefully anticipating his arrival, wondering just how far he was going to raise or lower the tone.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1322228699' post='1448260']
[/quote]

It's no biggie, honestly. I don't care because hopefully sense will prevail and the reputation system will be removed. The very fact that you clicked on the button "to see what it'll do" shows how frivolous and pointless it is!

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322230482' post='1448303']
I used to enjoy following a thread and gleefully anticipating his arrival, wondering just how far he was going to raise or lower the tone.
[/quote]
Very clever bloke and he knew far more than he generally let on. When he did let on, was often equally deft at putting either side of an argument. A sort of Frankie Boyle with humour really.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1322232755' post='1448358']
Very clever bloke and he knew far more than he generally let on. When he did let on, was often equally deft at putting either side of an argument. A sort of Frankie Boyle with humour really.
[/quote]
That's the thing, I think he was as clever as he was mischievous, I miss his mischief, it was funny, and he brought out people's personalities which gave the meat and potatoes of the forum some very welcome horseradish sauce and helped foster the sense of community we value so much.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322230482' post='1448303']
[/quote]
[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1322232755' post='1448358']
[/quote]
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322233166' post='1448365']
That's the thing, I think he was as clever as he was mischievous, I miss his mischief, it was funny, and he brought out people's personalities which gave the meat and potatoes of the forum some very welcome horseradish sauce and helped foster the sense of community we value so much.
[/quote]

He'll be along any time now to ask us to take our tongues out of his arse ;-)

It happens, I'm reasonably new here* but I've served almost 9 years on Talkbass and more like 11 on the Age of Aquariums board. You join and there's the 'old crowd' that have either been there for ages or joined up at the same time as you. Over time they either drift off to find a new hobby or even just stop posting because they reach a point where they're generally happy with their setups. It's a mix of that and also you start to notice the same old threads coming up time and time again on any forum and feel the urge to participate less and less.

* EDIT - Just looked and I've been here 4 years. Longer than I thought.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1322246808' post='1448656'][list]
[*]Interests:Interests getting longer now. Big Stu will be a bit annoyed. How long before he notices this? Oh well, in goes another sentence making it even longer. And another sentence goes in - how many more can I sneak in? How much more do I have to bung in before it gets noticed eh? I'm going to have to dig out War and Peace soon and put that here...
[/list]
[/quote]

You also - your name goes on ze list!

Edited by Big_Stu

It seems every time there is a 'is Basschat getting a bit dull' thread BBC gets mentioned, as if his return would breathe new life into the forum. It, he, wouldn't. He was just one contributor, that's it. There are others who no longer contribute, or can't contribute, whom I would much rather see return way ahead of BBC.

I found BBC rather tedious and one dimensional in his contributions. Bored the arse of me his continual shitraking, to the point I didn't actually read his posts as they were so predictable.

Basschat is described as a community, it takes more than one person to make a community.

Edited by Marvin

I've backed off a bit, although I'll be back in the for sale section (reluctantly) soon.
Got a bit of a slaying by couple of members over a for sale and an off topic. Pissed me off no end that people can just come out with unfounded opinions based on what they consider to be the truth, but were actually biased opinions.
Just like mine were :) , but I did try to avoid masquerading them as the truth.
Added to which I've just put the house, the Mrs, me ma and my genitalia on the line to the banks to buy a business :) .Time is a tad short.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1322249650' post='1448695']
It happens, I'm reasonably new here* but I've served almost 9 years on Talkbass

* EDIT - Just looked and I've been here 4 years. Longer than I thought.
[/quote]

You did a 9 on Talkbass ?!! A [b]nine[/b]!!!

How did you stand the Cliques and all the [i]my Sadowski is better than your custom shop Fender, [/i]and the, [i] Nothing cheap is any good. S[/i]nobbery and guff ??

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1322257956' post='1448804']
You did a 9 on Talkbass ?!! A [b]nine[/b]!!!

How did you stand the Cliques and all the [i]my Sadowski is better than your custom shop Fender, [/i]and the, [i] Nothing cheap is any good. S[/i]nobbery and guff ??
[/quote]

THAT'S why I like this forum. People aren't arsed (not everyone, anyway) about the price of gear, the general consensus a lot of the time is that if it's good, it's good, if it's not, then someone else can buy it, each to their own etc. The amount of b*llocks talked about gear at Talkbass is unreal, discussing the idiosyncrasies of two of the same amps with slightly different cabinets to the point of total pedantry, like it matters more than life itself. Gear bothers me, but to nowhere near the same extent, and that's certainly one of the reasons I like Basschat.