Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

If anything BassChat promotes affordable gear IMO, how many of us rave about how good our Squiers or Bitsa basses are compared to our more pricy versions? I think almost every member that has £1000 plus bass has a sub £200 bass they love and use regular, I know I do :)
I joined the EBMM forum recently and so far I cant see much happening at all, its way slower than BC although it is different in some way compared to when I first joined, maybe its all my fault? :)

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1322257956' post='1448804']
You did a 9 on Talkbass ?!! A [b]nine[/b]!!!

How did you stand the Cliques and all the [i]my Sadowski is better than your custom shop Fender, [/i]and the, [i] Nothing cheap is any good. S[/i]nobbery and guff ??
[/quote]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=821013"]Yes sir.[/url] More like 8.5 it seems. To be honest I frequent there more than here. There is a fair bit of snobbery but come one, Basschat has it's own favourite basses, amps and passing fads as well. Amazing how you can ask two brilliant forums with expert members and get two completely different answers, usually depending on what that particular board is raving about or slating at any given time.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322260548' post='1448830']
If anything BassChat promotes affordable gear IMO, how many of us rave about how good our Squiers or Bitsa basses are compared to our more pricy versions? I think almost every member that has £1000 plus bass has a sub £200 bass they love and use regular, I know I do :)
I joined the EBMM forum recently and so far I cant see much happening at all, its way slower than BC although it is different in some way compared to when I first joined, maybe its all my fault? :)
[/quote]

Meh, a lot of the time cheap gear is rubbish. I know I own a brilliant Tanglewood but I've also owned a god-awful Johnosn and a worse Squier. To say nothing of the various Vintage/Encore poop that's out there. There are some really good finds if you know where to look mind, and, with the exception of either really really really rubbish or barely-working gear, I'd never judge anyone based on theirs. Can we all agree the EBMM forum is just bad? Ran with an iron fist and very slow moving, to say nothing of the narrow-mindedness of the regulars.

Edited by Jack

Some people love the EBMM forum on here, I can't see what the fuss is about for better or worse, I made my first post about a month ago and it's near the top with only a few replies.

I stumbled into a few sh*t storms here as I genuinely did not know how much people would be prepared to fight over the 4 vs 5 string debate or the reading notation debate until I had started the threads. I was quite firm in my belief that 4's were right and reading was for jazzers only, 18 months later and some valid arguments and I play 5 string 90% of the time and can now read to a basic level so some things do come from the same old arguments I guess. New people will be seeing 'the same old threads' for the first time just like I did. Obviously I knew the Flea vs King ones were a wind up as at least that has a correct answer....Flea :)

I've started avoiding another couple of (non-bass-related) forums (forii?) I used to frequent as the general atmosphere is getting a tad too confrontational for my tastes. I don't know whether it's a symptom of the current state of the nation / people's mood in general, but it doesn't seem to take long for an apparently innocent / straightforward discussion to descend into a slanging match.

FWIW / IME / IMHO / YMMV etc. :)

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1322268237' post='1448894']
I've started avoiding another couple of (non-bass-related) forums (forii?)
[/quote]

The correct plural of forum is fora since forum is neuter.

Kasus Singular Plural

Nominativ for[b]um[/b] for[b]a[/b]
Genitiv for[b]ī[/b] for[b]ōrum[/b]
Dativ for[b]ō[/b] for[b]īs[/b]
Akkusativ for[b]um[/b] for[b]a[/b]
Ablativ for[b]ō[/b] for[b]īs[/b]

[b]Edit for layout. [/b]I have noticed the habit of this fori, where people explain why they have edited their posts. This may not be common in other fora, but coming from other foris, it is proper to get accustomed to the habits of new fororum rather than imposing one's own to the foro.

Edited by janmaat

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1322303878' post='1449030']
The correct plural of forum is fora since forum is neuter.

Kasus Singular Plural

Nominativ for[b]um[/b] for[b]a[/b]
Genitiv for[b]ī[/b] for[b]ōrum[/b]
Dativ for[b]ō[/b] for[b]īs[/b]
Akkusativ for[b]um[/b] for[b]a[/b]
Ablativ for[b]ō[/b] for[b]īs[/b]
[/quote]
See, Basschat is not boring at all, it's highly educational.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1322252687' post='1448745']
It seems every time there is a 'is Basschat getting a bit dull' thread BBC gets mentioned, as if his return would breathe new life into the forum. It, he, wouldn't. He was just one contributor, that's it. There are others who no longer contribute, or can't contribute, whom I would much rather see return way ahead of BBC.[/quote]

I think the point people are trying to make is that posters with idiosyncratic habits like BBC give a forum character. And without those characters everything gets a bit bland.

Ultimately if you get rid of the people who don't share the collective view on everything to keep the majority happy then the forum becomes an occasionally-used question and answer platform, with no discussion to fill the gaps, because there's no discussion to be had if you've banned everyone who disagrees with you. Conflict keeps people coming back, and in all likelihood the loudest complainants are enjoying it the most.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1322303878' post='1449030']...I have noticed the habit of this fori, where people explain why they have edited their posts. This may not be common in other fora, but coming from other foris, it is proper to get accustomed to the habits of new fororum rather than imposing one's own to the foro.
[/quote]
Thanks for the demonstration, I understand better now why Latin became a dead language..!

It seems every time there is a 'is Basschat getting a bit dull' thread BBC gets mentioned, as if his return would breathe new life into the forum. It, he, wouldn't. He was just one contributor, that's it. There are others who no longer contribute, or can't contribute, whom I would much rather see return way ahead of BBC.

I found BBC rather tedious and one dimensional in his contributions. Bored the arse of me his continual shitraking, to the point I didn't actually read his posts as they were so predictable.

Basschat is described as a community, it takes more than one person to make a community.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with this sentiment. I'm not having a go at BBC in particular as I couldn't honestly say his contributions affected me all that much; but as a general principle a musician's forum like this should be about more than a very small number of people hopping up & down all the time to the point that proper discussion of issues gets undermined. Surely the whole point of the Off Topic section is to debate topics of the day. Sometimes they'll be lively and entertaining, and at other times they'll be mundane and informed - who knows, occasionally they can actually be both lively and informative! Why does it always need to be 'fun', as if the general population of Basschat doesn't have the mental capacity or depth of thought for serious discussion of serious issues? Wanting life to always be fun is what children do. Hopefully adults can see things differently.

I think a lot of it comes down to the amount of stuff being bought and sold, if you look at the bass for sale forum at first glance it seems like it is really busy. Then if you look at it and order it by 'time started' generally only one or two new things a day. Of them 5% or so are priced so they go by the end of the day, and 45% are priced at sensible prices and are just waiting for someone to find and want them. 40% are just too high prices to sell quickly at the moment.
As a result there is a lot of the same stuff there, some of the threads have been for sale for over a year now, and some are there and bumped an awful lot. (theres a nice warwick in glasgow apparently) so less sales, less money moving, less people asking about gear and the like... so everything slows down a bit.
I would quite like to sell my T40 at some point but don't know if theres a point when everything is going so slow- I don't want to sell it so urgently I would be bothered keeping up with bumping it every few days. anyway.

[size=4][quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322314094' post='1449231']
Forum participation is not mandatory as far as I am aware.
[/quote][/size][quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322314178' post='1449234']
Oh dear, I've been telling Mrs ET that it was mandatory.
[/quote]

What? You mean I can leave at any time??

Edited by discreet

It seems every time there is a 'is Basschat getting a bit dull' thread BBC gets mentioned, as if his return would breathe new life into the forum. It, he, wouldn't. He was just one contributor, that's it. There are others who no longer contribute, or can't contribute, whom I would much rather see return way ahead of BBC.

I found BBC rather tedious and one dimensional in his contributions. Bored the arse of me his continual shitraking, to the point I didn't actually read his posts as they were so predictable.

Basschat is described as a community, it takes more than one person to make a community.
[/quote]
what he said.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322315540' post='1449276']
Oh like muchly. I have spent years being bored for however many hours that song lasts but at least now I will have something to chuckle about the next time I hear it.
[/quote]
Th warm smell of colitis... Hmmm

Edited by lonestar