Why become a member? ×

Best EQ'ing For Pick Playing?

spongebob

There's been a fair bit of posting about picks and pick playing this week on BC.

One was mine - been a pick player for close to 20 years - but I've been intrigued by other opinions on the subject.

I have started to move across to fingers in recent times in practice simply to widen my skills. However in rehearsal with the band, the bass level went through the roof with fingers against pick.

Some opinions on BC suggest that a similar bass-ness can be achieved with a pick via some improved EQ'ing.

My question is - any suggestions on the best way to EQ a pick style to incorporate clarity and plenty of bottom end? I've tried simply upping the bass and that didn't help at all! If I can get a better tone from the pick, I'd more than likely stick to it, as after so much time, I'm always going to be at my best with it.

I've always used the Dunlop 1mm tortoise shell up until now.

Any ideas?

As well as changing the EQ, you can have a big effect on tone by moving your right-hand nearer bridge or nearer the neck. Imagine a P or J bass with the covers on. Playing at the bridge cover is very different from playing at the pickup cover.

Different strings can make a big difference too. Flats with a pick can have a very clear bottom end.

With EQ, try more low-mids.

I went across to fingerstyle when in my teens..and that was because I couldn't get the bass sounds I was hearing and also as my musical tastes and interests changed.

Not really the person to ask but I find most guys round here sound much the same..
Lots of clank submerged in bass which is difficult to control out front.

If you can combine both styles, that would be something..UNLESS, you are starting to get away from the pick attack idea and that would probably nessitate contemplating a move in technique..

I tend to keep the same EQ when playing with a pick or fingers and let the playing style dictate the tone. Occasionally I'll boost the high mids to bring out the pick attack on songs with very fast lines.

In the end there isn't a hard and fast rule. Your EQ in a band situation will be determined by what the other instruments are and what frequencies they are using.

TBH I'd experiment with pick material, picking position on the string and pickup balance (if your bass has more than one pickup) before fiddling with the EQ.

• 10 years later...

Resurrecting this old post as I’m looking at a similar challenge 

Playing in my rock band on my PBass with fingers I get a full sound.

I love pick playing too but always miss the fullness of the tone even if I take out some mids and top.

I also turn down my tone control on the bass 

Tried flats and it didn’t work for me

Should I boost more low end on the amp ( ABM600) or something else ? 

I know I will not achieve an identical sound but somewhere close would suffice. 
Playing AC/DC, Lizzy, Foo Fighters, Green Day etc etc 

I’m just wondering if a compressor that knocks a bit off the top end might be the solution. I’m not too clued up on how they work but think Attack and Release times will have a bearing on this too - pick is a very quick attack compared to fingers.

I’m just wondering if a compressor that knocks a bit off the top end might be the solution. I’m not too clued up on how they work but think Attack and Release times will have a bearing on this too - pick is a very quick attack compared to fingers.

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think you’re right .. fingers have a slow attack compared to a pick.

Im finding thick nylon picks have less attack compared to say tortex 

The primary factor in my tone, both fingers and pick, is where I pick/pluck on the bass. A lot of the time, players pick somewhere between the bridge and pickup but for those deeper tones I pick over the neck around the 17/19 fret. This also has a less defined attack to the note.

I find compression is important and in terms of eq this has the biggest effect. After compression I might use a bit of eq if it's still not where I want it and mostly that will concentrate on tweaking the lower and upper mids, so good to have an eq with separate upper/lower mid controls.

I think I’m making progress 

Adjustments to EQ on my ABM600 ( turned down the mids ) 

Using a 2mm JD Big Stubby pick and PBass tone backed off I’m getting a good sound. Naturally not the same as fingers but getting close.

Im recording in the studio at the weekend and wanted to use a pick as I think it records better 

... and as far as compression is concerned I use two types; a single band which has a ratio control for when I want to compress the sh*t out of it, and a 3 band comp which I use to emphasise the bass frequencies by having a quick attack time in that frequency band and slow attack times in the mid and upper frequencies. 

The latter working more like an eq.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Great info re compression there @Boodang never really got to grips with how it all works, that’s very helpful 

I always felt the same, so got a tc Spectracomp and played with the toneprint editor to get a grip on it. Now compression is one of my essential tools for my tone.

Edited by Boodang

• Silvia Bluejay changed the title to Best EQ'ing For Pick Playing?
  • 1 month later...

I’m still chasing this pick tone !!

With the band I’m finding pick playing is loud but not full sounding 

Finger playing is less loud but fuller and deeper which I can hear / feel 

How do I get closer to a full sound using a pick ( many obviously achieve this in a band ) but it’s still not happening for me so far 

Going to try a new compressor so maybe that will help ?

Im after that softer attack ( don’t wish to use felt or rubber picks ) but a warm full tone for rock 

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

I used to swap between fingers and pick for certain songs. I never touched a thing. I just was aware that I got a cleaner attack with the pick.

What kind of music / band ?

Im finding in a single guitarist loud rock band I need a full tone 

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

I used to swap between fingers and pick for certain songs. I never touched a thing. I just was aware that I got a cleaner attack with the pick.

Same here. Mind you, I dig in hard when playing with my fingers, so there isn't really much tonal difference, just a different attack.

I imagine the difference would be greater if your fingerstyle is quite refined.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 10:11, BassAdder27 said:

Resurrecting this old post as I’m looking at a similar challenge 

Playing in my rock band on my PBass with fingers I get a full sound.

I love pick playing too but always miss the fullness of the tone even if I take out some mids and top.

I also turn down my tone control on the bass 

Tried flats and it didn’t work for me

Should I boost more low end on the amp ( ABM600) or something else ? 

I know I will not achieve an identical sound but somewhere close would suffice. 
Playing AC/DC, Lizzy, Foo Fighters, Green Day etc etc 

I would recommend leaving the bass tone fully open, then EQing the amp from there. 

28 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I’m still chasing this pick tone !!

With the band I’m finding pick playing is loud but not full sounding 

Finger playing is less loud but fuller and deeper which I can hear / feel 

How do I get closer to a full sound using a pick ( many obviously achieve this in a band ) but it’s still not happening for me so far 

Going to try a new compressor so maybe that will help ?

Im after that softer attack ( don’t wish to use felt or rubber picks ) but a warm full tone for rock 

There is no "best EQ". There is only what works for you, your bass, your rig and how it fits in with the rest of the band. That is something that only you can work out while playing with your band.

Most of the time you don't want a "full" sound as it will interfere with what the other instruments are doing.

Have a listen to some isolated bass tracks to hear how different (and often strange) the bass sounds when taken out of the context of the band mix.

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

There is no "best EQ". There is only what works for you, your bass, your rig and how it fits in with the rest of the band. That is something that only you can work out while playing with your band.

Most of the time you don't want a "full" sound as it will interfere with what the other instruments are doing.

Have a listen to some isolated bass tracks to hear how different (and often strange) the bass sounds when taken out of the context of the band mix.

The full tone is more like a greater depth to the note .. you feel it more than hear it 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Def, I was quite taken aback when I heard some of John Deacons isolated tracks. In the mix his sound is big/warm/rounded, isolated I thought was gainy/scratchy/trebly.