Why become a member? ×

Best EQ'ing For Pick Playing?

spongebob

Yes listening to John Deacon I would say my pick tone is deeper and fatter 

Maybe it’s what we hear in the band when playing sounds thin but out front it’s not when in the band mix context

I was trying to hear close to what I hear when I use fingers ( I have a soft to medium touch ) so maybe my pick tone isn’t too far off it already ? 

I keep thinking that several rock bands bassist use a pick and they sound great. I will keep working on it 

I use a slightly thinner pick than average, .70 - .88mm, I know some like them even thinner and play with a light touch (I don't). 

On the amp start by cranking the input to push as much tone as possible in to the system, try to keep it out of the red zone but peaks may occur it's not a problem. 

Add some drive and comp on the amp to add texture to the sound. Make it ugly enough that you really have to squint and maybe have another pint to think it pretty.

We're getting close. The eq. Try to find the clack of the pick, could be somewhere around 3k to 7k Hertz, and roll it off some but don't mute it.

Lastly if you need more meat, bump the 300-360 Hz until happy.

Try with band and try recording and listening which settings sound good in context.