Why become a member? ×

your best ever bass?

Golchen

[quote name='Astronomer' post='164637' date='Mar 27 2008, 05:21 PM']As a rule, I don't like the look/shape of Fenders generally, but that matt black beastie really cooks my noodle! It's gorgeous!
Isn't the finish a bggr to keep clean though?[/quote]

Only if you cook your noodle too close :)

In reality... surprisingly not... in fact it's easier than lacquer as it doesn't show my paw marks! It's also a bit more hard wearing in a way too - small dings and scratches disappear with a bit of fairy liquid.

Thanks - yes, she's a beauty aright. What usually does it for you then?

Edited by bigjohn

The best bass i've ever owned would be my musicman sub bass. It wins in almost every category. It sounds fantastic, like a stingray because it has stingray electronics, pickups and the same woods as a ray, it plays pretty nicely with the satin neck (though that's going glossy with use), it looks really nice after i changed the pickguard, the paint looks sparkly in the right light and for £350 off the bay in pristine condition i'd call that a bargain!

Before that though i owned a cheap tobias (which i still own) and a jay turser and two staggs so it's not got a lot to compare to but still a fantastic instrument.

The best i've eve played, probably a real ray, they have the sound, the look and the feel of a stingray.... just a really nice bass. I love stingray necks. a little bit fatter than what i might like ideally but the finish on it is a smooth as butter.

Edited by budget bassist

like the look of the leftie graphite and not just 'cos its from NZ

my "best" is probably Steinberger L2
it's just high quality and easy to use
versatile
reliable
conversation starter
and quite importantly I like the sound of it played neck pick up with thumb,softly. It's mellow and warm.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='163570' date='Mar 26 2008, 09:15 AM']I was just wondering what you guys would nominate as the best bass you have ever owned or played?

I have a headless status 5 string at the moment, and I really like it, but I just don't think that it's my 'ideal' bass. I'm looking for ideas as to decent kit that people have bonded with in some way. pics allowed![/quote]

Not a five but also a Status this Vintage 4 has the graphite J style slim neck which I love, remarkably high output for a passive bass, a good workable range of traditional rock tones, a warm woody core sound, and Rob chose such a nice piece of figured face wood we both decided it would look better without the scratchplate. I don't use a pick so this is no disadvantage.

Nick S

Here's my favorite:
[attachment=7032:FullFront.jpg]
My '98 USA P with a Badass 3 bridge.
Since the picture was taken the Fatfinger has come off and I have changed the electronics.
It now sports a SD Vintage pickup with RS Guitarworks Premium Vintage electronics kit.

Edited by jonthebass

I'd have to say my Jazz. I've owned higher end basses, a Status S2 classic I sold on and a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman, plus a load of other cheaper ones, but the Jazz is just superior in terms of tone for rock music (and pretty much everything else really). I've never been able to get a good pick tone with a graphite neck, so the Status went, and the Warwick lacked clarity. The Jazz has punch, clarity, bottom, plays great, looks great, is put together great.

I still want a thumb and a stingray, though!

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='163570' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:15 PM']I was just wondering what you guys would nominate as the best bass you have ever owned or played?

I have a headless status 5 string at the moment, and I really like it, but I just don't think that it's my 'ideal' bass. I'm looking for ideas as to decent kit that people have bonded with in some way. pics allowed![/quote]

Hi

what sort of sound(s) and specs (scale, neck profile, neck width, string spacing at the bridge etc) are you after? If you browse my gear list (either here or in TalkBass) you will see that I own a pretty extensive herd (45+ this very moment; few weeks back it was 50+). If you let me know I can be more specific. I love my Dingwalls, my Ritter, my Ken Lawrence's, my Foderas etc, but each one serves a different purpose

[quote name='Merton' post='166820' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:48 PM']My Status Retroactive J. Yummy yummy. Sounded bloody good yesterday thru Luke's rig :)[/quote]
Good point Merton .. Your Status acquitted itself very nicely yesterday, sounding damm good in the process!

The Bash yesterday really was a great chance for all of us there to test our basses out amongst so many others.. Like you, I'm really happy with mine; the Roscoe Beck 5, Wal Pro2e, BC Rich Eagle and Fender Jazz 5 and sounded good to my ears when put through different rigs, so that was a positive result..

Can't say I didn't come away GASsing for a new rig though! :huh:

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='167129' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:26 PM']I've owned higher end and more versatile but biggest bond is with my G&L SB-2 with birdseye maple /ebony neck. If they all went I'd keep this

its pure plug in and play

[/quote]
Not surprised... That's a real 'looker'!